Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 05:38PM

What is your favorite source of the news?

I don't have two hours--one hour for World and National, one hour for local--to watch it on TV. I don't like the closeups of criminals, and gory pictures.

The newspaper is cumbersome, a nuisance to dispose of, often arrives soaking wet, and is mostly ads. I have my choice of the Deseret News or the Tribune--and both are heavily weighted-down with Mormonism.

Is there a good news source that is not slanted by the media, and is neutral?

Is there a weekly news magazine or a weekly TV news program--that would give a brief account of ALL the news, without the added opinionated "in depth" commentaries?

Unbiased, condensed, painless news. Local events. Sports, of course. Theater and the arts would be nice, too.

I wouldn't mind paying for such a service.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 05:42PM

I like the Flipboard app I have on my phone. You can customize the categories of news you want to keep up on, you can read just the summaries or go read the stories in-depth, and it's just a swipe away.

That said...I don't know how you take the pain out of news like the Las Vegas shooting or something similar. Good luck with that :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 05:49PM

Googling news is pretty quick. Right now I'm watching CNN on YouTube.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 05:53PM

There are always four browsers open on my phone: RfM, KTLA news, Drudge and Google News.

I'd bet a handsome sum that no matter what news source/aggregator a person used, someone would find fault with it. (Watch what happens...):

Drudge is the simplest way for me to keep in touch with Ann Coulter!!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 07:25PM

The beauty of Drudge is that he links you to sooooooo many news sources on both sides of the political divide, not to mention columnists. ElderOldDog, do you use Ann Coulter to distract your golf buddy on the putting green?

Date: January 02, 2018 07:36PM

I only golf with Real Republicans!

What is a Real Republican? You can ID them by the "I Like Ike" pins and tie-tacks.

Date: January 02, 2018 08:53PM

(oh, goodie -- the pin fooled him! I knew it would come in handy!)

:)

Date: January 02, 2018 09:06PM

Duped! I've been duped!!!

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 06:12PM

I'm with donbagley preferring CNN news on youtube. I share CNN Student News on youtube with my middle school students. It broadcasts the news in a very engaging way, and it lasts an even 10 minutes each day. I really dislike drawn out news reports.

Posted by: mother who knows ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 06:39PM

Thank you very much for these suggestions! I installed the Flipboard, and will enjoy the constant access through my iphone

I couldn't get through to CNN Student News. I would like to share this with my kids. Student News was hijacked by an ABC broadcast and a disclaimer that it was NOT CNN Turner news, that it was an English-learning news.

Exactly how do I tune into CNN on youtube?

Posted by: exmormonminion ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 07:10PM

Google News is simplest and quickest. You can quickly scan the headlines, or read a blurb of one or two sentences, or click to get more for each story, if you like. You can personalize the order in which the news categories appear on the page. I like reading the news silently, rather than watching or hearing it. It's less invasive, and might be less "painful."

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 07:18PM

BBC World News...on my sat TV or online. Best and IMHP fairest news organization in the world...although the POTUS calls them false news....whatever

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 07:32PM

I've got a live stream of MSNBC that runs at my house 24/7.

All hail Rachel Maddow, the queen of cable news.

Posted by: CateSk ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 08:12PM

Rockin rooster has all the cable news channels with the exception of Fox as it is a liberal site. And i mean ALL of them. Just do a google search of ‘rockin rooster msnbc’ or cnn or bbc or whatever you want and it will come up as the first link. If you want Fox have to get that on youtube. Type in ‘fox live stream’ and if available it will show up. Cnn is always available but msnbc is very aggressive at taking their streams down. Rockin rooster is always available . If you want to watch a special like bill maher on rockin rooster you have to go to twoon.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 08:13PM

Yes, they’re free.

Date: January 02, 2018 08:14PM

You kids now days!!!

Date: January 02, 2018 08:32PM

I ain’t a kid but i am a political junkie and I’m too cheap to pay for tv.

Date: January 02, 2018 08:54PM

CateSk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...with the exception of Fox as it is a liberal site.

Sometimes it's hard to tell...sarcasm? :)

Date: January 02, 2018 09:31PM

I mean rockin rooster is lib.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 08:51PM

Google CNNstudent news.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 10:03PM

I just have the POTUS Tweet the news to me directly.

Everything else is fake.

It saves a lot of time.

:D

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 10:17PM

Oh, you said LEAST painful.

Never mind.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 03:39AM

Ha-ha-ha!

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 10:16PM

Try "Christian Science Monitor". I like it, but prefer to read my local news also, so get a Daily News paper for our area. (I also get the Deseret News to see the Church's view of world events.)

Also, I get People magazine---lots of news about people (the stories, plus pictures, which are told in more length than local newspapers).

It's expensive, so I ask for it as a b'day present subscribed for me by a couple of my kids. Good news, and sad story news, but it sure keeps you up to date with "people", (movie-stars, people in the news, etc.)

Very lively and entertaining. A weekly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.