Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:50PM

I'm trying to go through 3 boxes of mostly old family pictures, going back to the 1920's, of my mom and dad and their families, some people that I only know by name.

I found these two pictures today and can only comment on how the church has changed.

https://imgur.com/a/TDAur

The first is a Singing Mothers concert which my mother was in. She had a lovely singing voice and was in choirs and quartets all the time. I remember her saying once that in the early 60's, she and some ward friends sang probably in 10 funerals.

The other one is my mothers niece, Helen, who was about 9 when her parents were killed in a car wreck. They were out on New Years even with friends and were hit by a train in their car..her mother died on 12/31/29 and her dad died on 1/1/30. She came to live with my mother's family and the picture is described: Helen Smith, Gold and Green Queen, American Fork 5th ward.

Coincidentally, she had a major stroke when she was in her 40's and they brought her to SLC for surgery by Russell Nelson, some of the first open heart surgery her performed, IIRC. Her husband was a stake president in Montana and I guess they got priority. She never did completely recover and only lasted until she was about 50ish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:57PM

Interesting history. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 09:06PM

Just hit "next post" on the above link a couple of times. It will help you forget Mormonism in a jiffy.

https://imgur.com/gallery/4ii1J

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 09:44PM

So then Helen was your cousin. She was pretty. Love her curly ringlets. Sad she didn't get to live a full life.

Wonder when the last "Singing Mothers" concert was held at the Tabernacle. It looks like the Mormon Tabernacle choir women's section at first glance.

Date: January 07, 2018 11:13PM

Helen was my mom's niece, and an only child. She came to live with my mom's family when her parents died in the wreck. There was only about 8 years difference between her and my mom in age, and they were as close as sisters.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 03:59PM

My mom sang with The Singing Mothers too :)

Date: January 09, 2018 08:06PM

My mom loved it and during that program that's in the picture, she had to go to the tabernacle with other ladies to practice. She went on several Sundays, and they had to car-pool with other ladies in the ward/stake.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.