Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 11:20AM

I was cleaning and found my list of neighbors and friends I sent Christmas cards to this year.

As I looked it over I realised how many were former missionaries that brought back brides.

Three Brazilians, one each from Dominican Republic, Chile, Honduras, Italy and of all places Oregon.

So my question is....how many of you brought back a spouse from your mission?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 11:23AM

I met mine, but she didn't come back with me. She actually liked my companion better.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 11:43AM

my mission president did
that was used as justification by many elders to snag some available chicky that lived in the mission.

on of my work partners, (can not stand the term "companion" in a FOOL time MORmON missionary context) not that he ever did any actual missionary work!!!!!!! , was engaged to a 15 year old ..... and had been for a year, which meant that she was only 14 when they became engaged. Her mom was totally pushing and backing that deal.

Geee I wonder WHAT PERSON could have been used as a justification for that ???????........?????? I mean besides the
(pathological) mom saying that Jesus was going to return soon so her daughter needed to be hitched as soon as possible.

They did not end up getting married.

One .....what the Hell ever it was for 16 to 18 year old girls young womens mutual leader "Laurels" in my mission had snagged her husband while he was on a mission in FLorida. She encouraged her young women to actively stalk the local mishes.

One of her girls called me in the mission home as I was leaving the mission. She asked me IF I wanted to get engaged to her. I could have said: it is kind of funny that you think you know me well enough to marry me while you do not know me enough to know that I have a (my high school girl) girl friend on a mission.

Good old me, I just told her the truth -that I did not want to get married in general let alone to any one in particular.

My sibling got snagged by a sister mish while he was on his mission. He has health issues and will not do anything to deal with them ......because he WANTS to die !!!!

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 12:09PM

My nephew went back to Mexico to bring his mission met fiancé to the states. They immediately had a kid.

My nephew on the other side of the family got back from Mexico and married an 18 year old from the singles ward 5 months later.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 12:56PM

Not only didn't I bring back a bride (or go get one later) the one I did marry made it clear to me that she had no interest in hearing what happened on my mission nor interest in meeting former companions.

I wasn't married until almost 5 years after I got home (yes, I know...what a slacker) and I asked her to go to a mission reunion in October, about 2 months after we were married.

When the evening was over, she said "Don't plan on me going to these again." I didn't but I didn't really go to many after that, either.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 06:29PM

I knew a missionary in 2014 who married a sister missionary he met while both were on their missions.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 08:32PM

I was asked by an LM I met on my mission to marry her. It was within weeks of my home coming. But the catch was that ghawd had told her she'd be married before the end of the month, October. At that point all I owned was a car, some clothes and a Marlin 22 lever action rifle. So I countered with an offer to marry at the end of the school year. She said, "Nope", based on her revelation.

She did not get married before the end of the month. We met up six years later and she was out of the closet and very proud of being a part of the SLC Lesbian scene.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 12:34AM

with a young woman he met in Central America on his mission. She was already LDS. After he came home, just about everybody - friends and family - tried to discourage him in his determination to marry her and bring her to the US.

Didn't happen. He married her. Her English wasn't very good when she first came here, but it is dynamite now. They have been married for at least 20 years now.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 01:11AM

An acquaintance of mine married a woman from his mission. They were married in Mexico and lived there for a while but eventually moved to the US.

When he realized that Mormonism required him to believe that his "Lamanite" wife and kids were cursed, he left the church.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 01:34AM

I had a former Bishop in New York who was from Utah, but served his mission in New York. A week after he went home from his mission, he was back in church in New York sitting next to a girl from the area. 25 years later they are still married and have four kids.

Posted by: hgc2 ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 01:48AM

A girl from my mission in Illinois came to my area in Idaho soon after I returned home and let me know her intentions - I didn't bite.
One of my companions from Utah came back to Illinois to marry one of the girls we baptized together. They tried to get me to perform the wedding as I was still on my mission but the mission president wouldn't allow it. I often wondered if I had legal authority to do that as a missionary?

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 02:00AM

DH and I met while we were both serving missions. We were assigned to the same branch and found out we had a lot in common. Since romance was off the table, we agreed we'd get together after our missions. We both saw something in the other we hadn't found in our pre-mission dating lives.

More than 50 years later we are still together. It hasn't always been easy--we came from different backgrounds. Long story.

There were several elders who married local girls after the mission. I don't know how it turned out for all of them. Supposedly there was a club in one of the branches--the object was to marry off the girls to American elders. Left church, don't know how those marriages worked out.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 02:46AM

I sometimes wished I had. I went to the Philippines and I had many offers from wonderful filipinas but I refused them because I thought they just wanted a ticket to the states. So instead I married a horrible borderline-personality-disordered psycho and lived my next 14 years in misery. Smart move there...

Still, I wonder if i had married one of those filipinas if I would STILL be a mormon? Who knows? From my experience filipinas understand what it means to work and how to build strong families. I might still be a mormon today if I had married one. So...is that a good thing?

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 07:47PM

Or you could have married a Filipina Borderline... You never know.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 03:35AM

... Lived in Spain when I was younger, and I sometimes saw ex-mishies come back to take their fiancée/wife home to the USA. I did not approve of it as a teen who knew everything, so I mentioned it to a mishie I was close with. He smiled and said his father had met his mother on his mission too.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 04:03AM

I didn't...although I gave it a hell of a try chasing a girl I met while I was down there. Met her in Colombia, and by the time I returned, she had moved to SLC. We dated a few times, but she wasn't nearly as interested in me as I was in her. It all worked out for the best.

She was, and still is to the best of my knowledge, a die-hard TBM. I ended up eventually meeting my spouse three years post-mission while on active duty in San Antonio. We've had our ups and downs over 20 years. But one thing that I am grateful for is that I did not marry a die-hard Uber-TBM. So when I eventually saw the light and wanted to leave the cult, she (the girl that I did marry) was out the door right behind me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2018 04:04AM by Strength in the Loins.

Posted by: afraid of mormons ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 04:05AM

After my cousin returned from his mission in France, he sent air fare to a girl from a little country town there, and she flew Utah, and they got married. He's a stake president, now. They have been married 50 years, and still no one can understand a word she says.

My son was briefly married to a borderline disordered bi-polar narcissist, who chased him for years, and when she finally hooked him, she lost interest, and after only a few months, she left him for a pro basketball player. Her parents were fanatic TBM, the father was a bishop, and they had no respect for single working women, and I had several run-ins with them, and had to stand up to their bullying. They were wealthy and very snobby to our family. Turns out, that the father had met the mother, while he was on a mission. She was unmarried, with two illegitimate daughters, one was the girl my son married. The father's wealthy family had a fit, as the mother was a barefoot hippy, with no morals. He went back to the mission, and eloped with her. She joined the LDS church to get married in the temple. Five years after my son was divorced, the father went bankrupt, and his hippy wife divorced him. My son's ex wife is shacked-up with a beach bum in California, and has two illegitimate children, just like her mother.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 04:31PM

That's a mission

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 05:15PM

Ran into a rather worn and haggard American lady in the fringes of the southern amazon.

She'd been a missionary in Brazil. Was smitten with a Brazilian missionary and went back to Brazil and married him.

Problem was he was an engineer for a mining firm. They spent years living at different mining site in rather primitive conditions.

I remember she seemed happy but I felt she was more resigned to her fate. She thoughther husband would have moved up in the company and they'd be living in a big city. I think they had 5 kids.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.