Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 01:35PM

Okay.

For those who remember me and my story, you'll know that I was a "hormonal convert" from a nevermo family. Mrs. Hela comes from a family wheer her parents were inactive (and closet unbelievers, it turns out), but her sis (herafter referred to as my SIL) was TBM until very recently.

SIL had re-married to an exmo former outlaw-biker who has "found Jesus". He's one of the most hypocritical people I've ever met, as he chides others for their lack of honesty, yet he conducts his "business" under the table and never pays any taxes. We also suspect he may be a drug dealer on the side, too.

Well, Mrs. Hela's father died early last month. Not unexpected as he was 86, but how can one ever be ready for the death of a parent?

In any case, former-Molly SIL and piece-of-shit new husband attend the graveside services, which had NO religious component,per FIL's list of final requests. Well, Mr. "minister" former biker proceeds to give a consecration prayer at the grave, uninvited!

Afterwards, he tells people (not me, as he knows I'd fucking end him entirely if he spouted such shit around me) that he has started his own church and is a "prophet".

There's a lot, lot, LOT more to this story, too.

My question right now is this: is this guy just a fucking loon? Is he a huckster using religion to separate fools from their money, like JS did? Is it a combination of the two?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: piper ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 01:41PM

I vote for fucking loon. Stay far away from this craziness.

I actually was wondering where you went, helamonster! I wanted to talk to you about beer. My husband loves it, all kinds, and always wants me to try it when he finds a fab new brew. I have not been able to find one I can stand for longer than one sip. Can you help me? :)

Date: March 30, 2011 01:43PM

As soon as the estate is completely settled, we'll have no reason for contact with these folks. Even Mrs. Hela agress on that.

As to beer, what kind of tastes do you like in wine, or other beverages? We'll start there.

If you'd like, you can e-mail me off-board at joesmithscelestialbastard@yahoo.com

I don't check that e-mail often, but can promise a response within a few days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 01:49PM by helamonster.

Date: March 30, 2011 01:49PM

I like sweet wines, barefoot moscato being my current fav. I love coffee and tea, a little sweet, but not too sweet. I don't so soda at all, haven't for well over 10 years. Champagne is ok though, not as harsh of bubbles if that makes sense.

Some of the recent problems I have had with beers are aftertaste, Mr Piper recently made me taste all the different kinds in a Sam Adams Variety pack, and one I didn't mind the taste so much, but it had almost an acetone after taste, if that makes sense? Like I had drank nail polish?

Date: March 30, 2011 01:52PM

It indicates poor quality control at the source, which can happen easily, as Sam Adams has "contract brewers" around the country, and doesn't make everything themselves.

I'd suggest something like a Chimay Premiere, a semi-sweet Belgian monastic brown ale in corked 750ml bottles. That could well be a "gateway beer" for you.

Date: March 30, 2011 01:54PM

Thanks! I will check it out. Is it a common one I could find in AZ?

Date: March 30, 2011 01:55PM

Trader Joe's also has it, and cheaper. And it's kinda expensive.

Date: March 30, 2011 01:59PM

Thanks! Don't be a stranger 'round these parts! I had been wanting to ask you about beer forever, and wondered where you went!!

No Trader Joe's close, but I will check the grocery stores here. :)

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 02:00PM

I will try it out!

Date: March 30, 2011 02:05PM

You can contact me anytime.

Date: March 30, 2011 02:07PM

Thanks again! Do I remember you saying you have a beer blog too?

P.S. So sorry for the thread jack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 02:08PM by piper.

Date: March 30, 2011 02:09PM

Again, e-mail me off-board. Don't want to post details here, as I wish to protect my IRL info.

Date: March 30, 2011 02:09PM

Gotcha. Me too.

Date: March 30, 2011 02:37PM

At least you prevented it from sinking like a stone!

Date: March 30, 2011 06:23PM

Anyplace that has Chimay Premiere, probably also has Chimay Reserve and Chimay Cinq Cents. The Premiere I recommended to you has a red label, the Reserve a blue one, and the Cinq Cents is yellow.

It's possible you could also like the Reserve as it is massively strong, but also rather port-like in flavor and aromatics. The Cinq Cents is a yellow beer and quite hop-bittered.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 01:49PM

It seems like one of the world's oldest professions.

At least he sends out great big signals of warning to stay away. Just one side note: he may be conning, controlling, and manipulating your SIL. You might want to maintain some sort of connection in case you can help her escape sometime in the future. (Not necessarily to your house.)

Date: March 30, 2011 01:54PM

She is undoubtedly being manipulated and controlled right now, but still thinks this asshole is a "man of God". Retch.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 01:51PM

Knowing what I do about bikers and drugs, I wonder if he's slinging and (possibly using meth.) That will make people all sorts of nutty.

Date: March 30, 2011 01:56PM

because if he's using meth, he's the fattest tub-of-guts meth-head I've ever seen.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 02:00PM

helamonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My question right now is this: is this guy just a
> fucking loon? Is he a huckster using religion to
> separate fools from their money, like JS did? Is
> it a combination of the two?

========================================================
I vote for a mishmosh mix of the two. Thing I've noticed with hucksters, especially religious hucksters is that invariably they get to believing their own bull$h!t.

Date: March 30, 2011 02:08PM

This is also a guy who thinks that flouridated water, flu shots and "chemtrails" are all government mind-control plots. It shouldn't surprise anyone that he also has a mistrust of higher education, and anyone who's received any.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 02:55PM

Good to hear from ya Hela! I vote for both, too. He is probably just a loon now, but if people start to buy his bullshit, he will use it to take their money. The flouride/flu shit sounds like he has been in touch with the John Birch crazies.

Since the last time you were on RFM, a new Microbrewery has started here in my town, with some pretty awesome flavors(Wolf Hill Brewery, on facebook) I've been waiting to tell you about. They only sell in growlers, and kegs right now, but are working on pint 4 packs soon. I'll save your email, and let you know when they are available, and try to get you some to try.

Check in every now and then.

Date: March 30, 2011 03:44PM

Wolf Hill, eh? I'm not on Facebook, could you tell me what city that's in?

Date: March 30, 2011 04:16PM

I noticed besides the standard brewpub offerings, they're doing an India Brown Ale. Sounds like they're just champing at the bit to get more established so they can start experimenting.

Date: March 30, 2011 04:26PM

they just hired a new brewmaster 2 months ago(Josh), and he is doing some new things. They don't update the web site as much as they post on facebook. Here is tuesday's fb post;

Wolf Hills Growler Hours tonight from 5-7. Abingdon Pilsner, Troopers Alley IPA, Creeper Trail Amber Ale, Fightin Parson's Pale Ale, and Imperial Stout on tap. Josh just brewed up a new beer for summer: look for the release of White Blaze Honey Cream Ale in a few weeks.

I'm not sure how White Blaze Honey Cream Ale, will taste, but it sounds interesting. It's great having a micro brewery in town, FINALLY.

Date: March 30, 2011 04:33PM

The Brits also call it "real ale". Basically, it's an unfiltered beer, with live yeast still in it, that's usually served in the vessel in which it's fermented. British and Belgian styles work best this way, but it's a real pain to do, as you have to fuss and fiddle to keep conditions just right for the cask beer.

There's only two places between Los Angeles and San francisco (the rough area where I live) who do this. That's how rare it is.

Date: March 30, 2011 04:43PM

Thanks for that info. They are small enough that the customers can talk to Josh anytime, and we talked a while about future plans. I'll ask him about any plans for cask ale in the future.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 03:11PM

The StalkerDog™ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I vote for a mishmosh mix of the two. Thing I've
> noticed with hucksters, especially religious
> hucksters is that invariably they get to believing
> their own bull$h!t.

In fact believing their own bullshit is professional advantage--so much easier to sell that way. People put way too much stock in their own sincerity and the sincerity of others.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 03:19PM

robertb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------
> In fact believing their own bullshit is
> professional advantage--so much easier to sell
> that way. People put way too much stock in their
> own sincerity and the sincerity of others.

==================================================
Funny, ain't it, how their "god" becomes more and more like their own selves, I mean they like what they like, hate what they hate, and alwaysalways whisper all these facts and revel'ashuns in their ears and no other!

Instead of a deity it's more of a an alter ego, that's why it's SO personal to 'em, so if you don't agree with every lil pearl that springs from their lips they take it as a horrible insult to them personally!

Need I remind you how glad I am to be a dog?

Yer pal,
Reggie, The StalkerDog™

Date: March 30, 2011 03:45PM

Funny how that works, isn't it?

I'm sure the idiot's head would explode if he found out Mrs. Hela is bisexual...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.