Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NotGomer ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 10:40PM

Many South Americans and African Americans and Polynesian believe in voodoo and casting curses. Its a bunch of hokus pokus if you ask me.
After you receive the 2nd annointing in the LDS religion, who exactly can you curse?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 11:46PM

Which Polynesians believe in voodoo, and what spells do they believe in casting?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 11:54PM

This is the first I've heard about recipients of the 2nd Anointing (2nd Annoying?) being able to throw curses.

What's the source for this notion?

Date: January 20, 2018 12:07AM

In the 2nd anointing, the recipient can curse whomever? they like, and live forever if they so desire?
The 2nd anointed is kinda like the movie, "Eyes Wide Shut"?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 12:08AM

NotGomer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the 2nd anointing, the recipient can curse
> whomever? they like, and live forever if they so
> desire?
> The 2nd anointed is kinda like the movie, "Eyes
> Wide Shut"?

Uh, no.

It's nothing like that.

Date: January 19, 2018 11:59PM

It was on Gilligans Island

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 02:05AM

Okay, I see. I know a few things about Polynesians, and they do not believe in or use voodoo.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 05:11PM

You're gonna contradict Gilligan's Island???

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 05:58PM

hahahahahahahhahahahhahahahhaha.

Date: January 20, 2018 12:03AM

NotGomer Wrote:
>
> After you receive the 2nd annointing in the LDS
> religion, who exactly can you curse?

Huh?? Never heard receiving 2nd anointing gives people "power to curse"

Where do you get this from?

Date: January 20, 2018 12:10AM

Please refer your questions about the 2nd anointing to your Relief Society President.

Date: January 20, 2018 12:11AM

NotGomer Wrote:
> Please refer your questions about the 2nd
> anointing to your Relief Society President.

I don't have a RS president.

You seem to be confusing Mormonism with some other religion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2018 12:13AM by angela.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 01:01AM

I've read about it. Good news is that, yes, you can levy curses on folks, and just to be fair, you can also bless people.
WooHoo!

Also, I've recently read (gotta start keeping these references) that there is a 3rd and 4th anointing. 3rd makes you a god, and 4th makes you part of the Godhead.

No idea if any of these things are correct--just passing along what I've read.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 12:56AM

NotGomer Wrote:
> Many South Americans and African Americans...

Although the concept of "curses" exists in a number of African (from Africa) cultures, this kind of thing is definitely a minority concept among African Americans (and when it exists, it was passed down from slave times).

When a person becomes a sangoma (African "witch doctor" in bigoted, English-language vernacular...but actually they are healers who use a number of different methods to heal people, including plants, various physical "exercises," etc.)...

...then---regardless of their race or their cultural background---they do study curses during the time when they are learning their healing arts (a process which takes several years), but the aim is REMOVING any already-existing curses, NOT working to create new ones.

Needed information here: it is not just black Africans who become sangomas, there are white sangomas too. Most white sangomas grew up in primarily white areas and went to primarily white schools, but at some point (often because of a very good black friend...plus, often, the example of that very good black friend's family), they decide they want to become sangomas as their life work.

I don't know about the rest of sub-Saharan Africa, but in southern Africa (South Africa, Swaziland, Namibia, etc.) there are, right now, DEFINITELY a [small-ish] number of white sangomas...and the number has been increasing (especially since the fall of apartheid) as young white kids growing up decide that being a sangoma is the thing they most want to do. (Becoming a sangoma takes several years of study and apprenticeship, capped (at least in Swaziland) by what amounts to a community-wide "examination" of the new sangoma's skills. If they pass the exam, from that point on, they are a "credentialed" (as it were) sangoma---whether their patients are white, black, Asian, or whatever.)

Sending out the telepathic vibes ;) ...I would like to again thank the [black] sangoma---a complete stranger to me---who saved my life in the township outside of Pretoria, because without him and what he did, my life would have, in a matter of minutes, ceased a long time ago...

...and again, my thanks to the black woman---also a complete stranger to me---who saved my life when I (the literally just arrived, and ignorantly unaware, American) was walking down the dirt road just outside of Die Werf, because the area looked SO MUCH like the San Fernando Valley community I grew up in.

To both of them: Thank you!!!!!!

Some South Americans (particularly, I have been told, Brazilians, plus some Caribbean peoples) do practice curses as part of religions of which voodoo has become a part.

> Polynesian believe in voodoo and casting curses.

The only thing I found when I did a Google search was a reference to Hawaiians (in past historical times??) sometimes doing curses. Do you know a more complete story on Polynesians?

> After you receive the 2nd annointing in the LDS
> religion, who exactly can you curse?

What does a Second Anointing have to do with curses???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2018 01:09AM by Tevai.

Posted by: Mother Who KNows ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 04:12AM

My mother could curse, and she didn't have the 2nd anointing. As a child, and into my teens, I believed her curses! She would grind her teeth, and shake her curly head, and glare at me, and scream out whichever curse she felt like casting upon me. Usually, it had nothing to do with the crimes I committed, unless maybe not cleaning the kitchen perfectly somehow makes men never want to marry you, or spilling something makes you a failure. Sometimes, at odd moments, her curses are still in my head.

Especially, when I'm at a function for mostly couples, and I'm alone, divorced and single, for the rest of my life. Did her curse work upon me? Or could she foresee the future?

Sometimes Mormon missionaries can curse people who reject them, right? They "dust their feet" on your walkway, or something like that....

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 03:31PM

Mother Who KNows Wrote:
> My mother could curse, and she didn't have the 2nd
> anointing. As a child, and into my teens, I
> believed her curses! She would grind her teeth,
> and shake her curly head, and glare at me, and
> scream out whichever curse she felt like casting
> upon me. Usually, it had nothing to do with the
> crimes I committed, unless maybe not cleaning the
> kitchen perfectly somehow makes men never want to
> marry you, or spilling something makes you a
> failure. Sometimes, at odd moments, her curses
> are still in my head.
>
> Especially, when I'm at a function for mostly
> couples, and I'm alone, divorced and single, for
> the rest of my life. Did her curse work upon me?
> Or could she foresee the future?
>
> Sometimes Mormon missionaries can curse people who
> reject them, right? They "dust their feet" on
> your walkway, or something like that....

Oh man MWK, you are expressing something similar that happened with me, and still does. The whole grinding and knashing of teeth and glaring so menacingly is most certainly a curse. I hear my mother curse people all the time.

"Why are you doing that? You need to do it the RIGHT way (aka her way)."

Or the "I just want you to be happy when you're older and are able to know what to do."

Or when she points out something new in a negative tone. I got a bad piercing on my lip and my mom noticed it and decided to shame me in the most negative way ever.
Lately she has been nosy in my business - even told me I needed to go to college. The percentage of the average
American in debt has gotten higher - does she really expect me to be able to pay for it? No, and I doubt she will since she hardly ever payed for medical (unless we broke something or were dyeing).

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 06:30AM

Mormonism's god practices black magic in the Book of Mormon. Their great white god cursed white people with a skin of blackness. Don't know about second anointings or any of that silly stuff, but the pages of the Book of Mormon describe a god that practices curses and skin color changes. The best cure for this bullshit is to throw away that goddamn book of Mormon and bitch slap any priesthood anointed who try to make any serious talk about curses. And just laugh in their face if any Mormon priesthood holder tries raising the arm to the square at you. In those cases, raising the middle finger back at them is entirely appropriate.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 07:08PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.