Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 02:03PM

I went yesterday to a 1pm matinee, me and 3 other people.

This is a nice movie, lots of fantasy and kind of science fiction, neither of which I've cared for much in movies.

The acting is terrific, the sets and cast are amazing (Octavia Spencer has a sort of smallish part but she is always so good). Sally Hawkins, the star, is great and her role makes you appreciate how much dialogue actors use.

There's a small reference to some scars the main character has which really make for a nice surprise at the end.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 02:14PM

I found it an enchanting and surprisingly moving movie.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 08:34PM

I so want to see it sometime soon; Guillermo del Toro is one of my favorite filmmakers.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 08:57PM

We just saw it! I thought it was wonderful. I loved all of the Lovecraftian references in there.

You know...H.P. Lovecraft was actually a crummy writer. He just had a big imagination. I know Guillermo is a huge fan (he's interviewed in the Lovecraft documentary) and it is great to see someone take those ideas and really re-tool them around to tell much more nuanced story. I think it was a genius-level film.

That said, if you haven't seen "I Tonya" yet you should! That film was amazing too. I went in there dragging my feet and a was pleasantly surprised. I wonder why it was not nominated for more awards...? "Get out" was nominated for best picture and not "I Tonya"??

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 09:11PM

When it shows up on my sat TV movie channels in the fall...

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 10:06PM

I used to see so many movies but have cut way back in the last couple of years because most of them are available to stream or rent on DVD within a few months.

My daughter gave me for Christmas a subscription to "Movie pass" which allows the user to see one Movie each day in the theater. It's nearly the end of the month and I've only seen 2 so far so I gotta get moving to make it worth her gift..$29.99 for 3 months of movies. There's a few I want to see still so I might make it!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 04:07AM

LR,

This one is probably worth seeing on the big screen. The imagery is exquisite.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.