Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: james ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 02:17PM

This is my first General Conference when I don't have to pretend to listen to any of it. Any recommendations on how to enjoy the day?

I'm thinking of having a celebratory drink at 10, 2, and 6 or Saturday and 10 and 2 on Sunday (well, maybe 10 is too early).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 02:17PM by james.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 02:19PM

I haven't gone for years and basically ignore the whole thing. It is an ordinary day and I do what I would do without any thoughts of watching the bore fest. I would do something fun if I were you. Staying away from downtown is recommended unless you love crowds and traffic jams.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 02:43PM

being an ALMOST mormon, i did get invited to the local lds church for it. I told them "tks. for the invite" and that was as far as it'll go.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 03:02PM

deb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> being an ALMOST mormon, i did get invited to the
> local lds church for it. I told them "tks. for the
> invite" and that was as far as it'll go.

This might be why you are having problems getting rid of the mishies. Telling them 'thanks for the invite' lets them think you might show up and raises false hope. When you don't come, they will probably think something came up or that you are indecisive, not that you are not interested and will never be interested. It would be better to say, 'no thanks, not interested. I have decided your church isn't for me.' Sorry to hijack the thread, but you cannot come across as wishy-washy or indecisive with mishies.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 03:18PM

Stay out of buildings all day long. Enjoy nature, thats what I do. I spent over 2000 days in my mormoon career inside a church building on sunday when most of those days the weather was great. Don't waste them "inside". I want those days back!

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 03:39PM

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 04:15PM

but I doubt there'll be any respect for it from the mormon church. As for me, I'll be enjoying spending time with my children and grandchildren and the weather is looking very promising indeed.

Briggy

Posted by: Yorkie ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 08:12PM

brigantia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but I doubt there'll be any respect for it from
> the mormon church.
>
>

Most likely not, it'll be like the last time Mother's Day fell on Gen Conf weekend - in our ward we were told we'd have the Mother's Day presentation the following week, but of course the powers that be decided that would be Fast Sunday, & it was never mentioned again, so we never got our Mother's Day recognition at all that year.
Rather like when Easter falls on Gen Conf weekend, we never got to have an Easter service or even sing the Easter hymns, Easter gets conveniently forgotten - and the morg tries to claim it's Christian! Huh!

Posted by: soudemais ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 04:24PM

for those of you that are in utah, you could having a coming out party by having a smoke on temple grounds.

For those living outside utah, maybe you can smoke a bowl and go to the preisthood session stinking like dank herb. lol Oh, don't forget the chips during that session, its long and boring and when the munchies kick in, it will be a bear on you.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 07:56PM

If you do decide to listen, be sure to take a nap at the same time. I like the suggestion of getting outside. It is springtime.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 08:14PM

I'll be outside with the kiddos! The weather is beautiful right now! I definitely want to hike Camelback before it gets blazing hot outside.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.