Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quickquestion ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 03:03PM

I just heard the term New Order Mormon. What exactly is a New Order Mormon? I have read a few different things. Some say it is those who are no longer believing, but have spouses that are, so they stay in. Others say it is those who don't believe most of it but still believe some of it and like the culture so they continue to attend. I want nothing to do with the church, but I believe in God, enjoy sermons from other churches, and maintain the same morals, standards, and clean living family life I was raised with. Would I be considered a New Order Mormon? The only association I keep with the mormon world is with my family since some of them are stil mormon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 03:06PM

I thought NOM folks were those that saw problems in the history, or doctrine, and stayed in the church hoping to fix it.

But I also think that your definitions also fit with some of the NOM folks. So there are probably lots of different NOM type of people, with different reasons to be on the side of Mormonism.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 03:08PM

A non literal believer to varying degrees. Usually a temporary position on ones way out of the church. Also a website for those in that status.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 03:11PM

I think 'cafeteria mormon' also describes their situation...

Take a big helping of 'power of the priesthood', pass on the tithing...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 05:21PM

No, I wouldn't consider you a NOM. I would possibly call you a non-practicing Christian or a cultural Christian (depending on your beliefs, of course.) Another option is "spiritual, but not religious."

Posted by: still here ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 05:54PM

It depends on if it said online or by your cheezburger-eating cat.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 05:58PM

NOM = Son of Perdition. No woman can truly be NOM since the spirit is so strong in them. <--Sarcasm.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 06:29PM

Aren't they the ones in gospel doctrine class that answer every church question with the Hinkster reply "I didn't know we taught that."

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 08:09PM

NOM = OFOTD

(NOM: New Order Mormon)
(OFOTD: One Foot Out The Door)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 12:36AM

They sound a lot like jack mormons if you ask me.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 03:16PM

Jack Mormons believe all of it and don't follow none of it.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 12:52AM

I think i am a new order new testament, some things i read in there seem to be alright but walking on water not so much.

Posted by: NOMaly ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 02:43AM

Most NOMs would leave the Church in a heartbeat if they could do so without destroying their families. They stay because of believing spouses most of the time. Some refuse to attend the Church and use the NOM forum for support because of conflicts with a believing spouse. Others continue to attend the Church to support their believing spouses.

But NONE of them would have any connection to the Church otherwise. It's really hard for a lot of them because they want to permanently leave the Church behind. But it might mean a divorce or shunning by their extended families.

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 02:58AM

It used to be an acronym for "Name Only Member" on the class rolls that were taken. They were technically a member but were not active. Does the church even take class rolls anymore?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.