Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: atheistmomma ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 09:07PM

What is the deal with Mormon vlogging? To be fair- I think I am too old to understand vlogging in general. Why in the world does anyone want to watch the mundane inner workings of someone else's life? I don't want to take my kids shopping at Costco, why do I want to watch someone else do it? The whole thing creeps me out- why would you want to invite weird stranger on the internet into your life and why would other people be interested in your life in that way?

At any rate, I have a relative that is vlogger- I guess a relatively known one in the Utah area. I had no idea about it until someone else in my family told me (I don't talk to my Mormon family often) and I went down the rabbit hole watching a couple of "episodes"- ugh! So much narcissism and entitlement. But they went from two stupid, uneducated people living off their family (and screaming about all the "takers" on the government's dime) to two stupid, uneducated people living off the ads from their vlog, gifts from stupid followers and an MLM scheme that they have capitalized on due to their vlog success. And surprisingly, they seem to do well. I find it to be weird and very unsustainable.

But I digress.... why are there so many Mormons doing this weird thing where they talk into their phones at all hours of the day in a very intimate way with unknown individuals on the other side watching their daily musings and watching them peddle their crap and ask for gifts. And everything seems so contrived to look picture perfect and happy. Is this a new world I don't understand and Mormons are particularly suited for or is this a short-term social experiment that we will all look back on with regret?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 09:11PM

When you're entitled, and no one realizes it, you end up having to Vlog?

Other than that, I got nothing, which is what I'll watch and contribute.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 10:37PM

The Internet is a magnet for people from all backgrounds to become 'vloggers.'

YouTube hits ie, the more they can generate the more they can bring in dollars wise.

I don't know how profitable it is. But it doesn't seem to be restricted by someone's religion.

All persuasions have jumped on board that train.

My favorite is a father who posts YouTube videos of his growing children. It began as the 'diary of a two-year old.' Now that two year old is something like six, and has a little brother of 2 or 3. It's been a huge success for him and his family. Not Mormons.

They live in British Columbia, and are a hoot. :)

Whatever you're looking for you can find online. I haven't noticed Mormon vloggers, maybe because I wouldn't be interested in watching their vids.

The family in BC I mentioned don't just talk into their phones btw. They make a video production of their children's antics, and with grown-ups re-enacting their version of it. :)

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 03:23AM

Dummies do this. Not just morMons. Mormonism just has a great share of them.

Mormonism is a short term experiment (and 'hard time' "experience") [Vlogging is vegetarian logging right?]

It doesn't WORK.

IT WANTS YOU TO!

Don't do it! And don't let it do you!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.