Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bobbypri ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 11:12PM

Why is it all Mormons y’all about is the prophets and Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon there’s much more to the picture so much more. It’s confusing me as a convert now I. Red help on this mater please

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 11:30PM

The Abrahamic religions (Christianity---including, in this sense, Mormonism...Judaism...Islam) are based on their most well regarded texts, and on the words and deeds of their most revered and respected leaders (past and present).

For Mormonism, "the prophets and Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon" ARE the foundations of Mormonism.

When you say: "...there's much more to the picture so much more," what do you mean by this? What, exactly, are you referring to?

Posted by: Bobbypri22 ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 05:40AM

There’s so much more as I. That I belive every will get a chance to go to heaven and have a chance to remit I also belive the Bible is the most important text to a church and I just feel so confused now on where to go what I thought felt right still feels right but I don’t know what I feel now toward the church.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 03:10AM

You've/ they've got Jesus Christ, in the name… and to end and endorse and blame in the prayers.

What do you expect?

This isn't Christianity, (you know) [now].

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 06:04AM

The BoM and the prophets like Joseph Smith are what make Mormonism different from other religions. That is a problem because the BoM is easily proven to be a fraud (it is a made up book, not an ancient record) and Mormons don’t know their own church history. It’s like Catholics not knowing about the inquisition or indulgences. The church teaches its own history to make these seriously flawed men look like saints. The modern church has the truth but still teaches lies. That is a bigger problem.

Date: February 02, 2018 12:14PM

I second (to the tenth power) that Baby.......

Posted by: Nottelling ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 12:38PM

You are confused because you should be. Find a bible believing church (not Mormon, or Catholic) and then you have the truth.

You will learn in the bible about false prophets and this is what you have with Mormonism, and with Catholic, they went off the reservation and made up there own books and rules (same as Mormon).

You have to start and stay in the bible only, because it warns of these other things to avoid.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 02:22PM

Forgive me, Nottelling, but I respectfully beg to differ. The Bible is just as suspect as are the other texts. It has a long and intricate history and was compiled from numerous texts produced by groups with differing and often mutually exclusive viewpoints. Part of the OT was written to extol the High Priest at Jerusalem while other parts were written by a representative of the Levite fraternity spread around Israel. Each of those groups had widely divergent points of view, both politically and theologically. Even the gods they championed were often antagonists.

As for the New Testament, St. Paul thought he was hot stuff and that Jesus was all about sin. Each of the Gospels were produced by disparate groups with different convictions about how best to follow Jesus. Note that St. Paul never heard anything about Mary or Gabriel or even about the crucifixion. That was all invented long after he was dead. He never had any concept of twelve apostles or the resurrection or any of that stuff. Most Jesus groups when he was toddling around thought he was a pain in the ass who had no right to tell them how to do things. And so on.

In short, the Bible is not magic. It can be used to achieve a level of spirituality, but then so can a session underneath the Bodhi tree. You can find anything you want in the Bible, because it is basically a hodge-podge production. The Bible does indeed warn of false prophets- but since the Bible interprets "false" as "anything different from what I say", you would expect that.

Sorry if I come on too strong. But it is time for civilization to
stop using the Bible as its official charter/cudgel. There are just too many problems with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 02:27PM by slskipper.

Posted by: not logging in ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 01:47PM

You are aware that you're on a board with EX-mormons, right? There are some here that have never been mormon, but none of us believe in the church's claims or teachings. Our feelings toward the institutional church range from indifference to loathing.

The church is all about Joseph Smith because were it not for him, the church wouldn't exist. Same way that Scientology is all about L. Ron Hubbard.

It's hard to give better advice without more specific information. If you're a bible believer, why did you join the mormons? A significant proportion of christians think (rightfully) that mormonism is a cult.

Date: February 02, 2018 04:22PM

Bobbypri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is it all Mormons y’all about is the
> prophets and Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon
> there’s much more to the picture so much more.
> It’s confusing me as a convert now I. Red help
> on this mater please

Not sure what red help is. Probably like orange hope. Anyway.

It's meant to be confusing.

It's a TAKING, not a GIVING, entity.

End confusion by ignoring/ leaving it. It's all you have LEFT to do- RIGHT?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.