Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 03:16PM

I don't recall it ever having been closed or there being a rededication. If my memory is correct, why can the Salt Lake Temple manage to indefinitely stay open for business while the others are shut down for ridiculous lengths of time and then re-opened to major fanfare and public tours?

Surely, the SL Temple has needed some major work over the years - it can't still have all the original carpeting, heating system, plumbing, etc., from when it was completed in 1893.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 03:23PM

It has been closed for renovation but I can't say when. I can only go by the evidence: The sealing room where my parents were married is now an elevator.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 04:26PM

Yes, it was closed during the early 1960’s and the 1970’s for renovations.My parents were married in the Logan Temple due to SL Temple being under renovation. I remember it closing for several years during the Seventies.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 06:01PM

Was it rededicated before it re-opened? Has it ever been opened up for public tours like other temples are before they are rededicated?

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 01:56AM

it was rededicated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 01:56AM by Whiskeytango.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 06:26PM

Some info about the Salt Lake Temple rededication without an open house.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865676488/LDS-Church-not-just-temple-building-but-temple-renovating.html

"The Salt Lake Temple — the LDS Church’s most-recognized sacred edifice — is one of several older temples where a rededication of sorts has taken place, but without an open house prior to rededication."

Posted by: Xxmmooo ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 02:33AM

I imagine if they ever do close again they will take the opportunity this time for an open house since that seems to be the thing of late. It would be a huge PR event and they need all of those they can get.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 04:15AM

It's closed right now (but to the top level flushers and to those with other under-worldly sacral needs like outdated master-planners, bad debaters, and/ or modern 'chorehouses').

It's not renovation.
It's sleeping-ovation.

It's closed.

Closed door SECRECY!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 04:40PM

Wasn't it temporarily closed during the war?

I thought it was was used as an emergency gasometer during WW 2.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 08:12PM

I was called on a mission in 1962. Had to go to Manti to get endowments with parents (an exciting adventure.) While in the old SLC Mission Home the new missionaries traveled by bus to Logan for endowments. We had to wait a long time because one of the missionaries got sick during the lecture. My companion started her period--the old ladies were of no help in providing her with necessary supplies. A nightmare overall and I think we had to do two sessions.

Wait a minute while I wipe my brain of memories. I think it opened again in late '63. They sandblasted the outside of the temple--not sure when that was done--but it ruined my childhood memories of the dark gray temple.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 08:23PM

I thought they closed once when one of the prophets was expecting a revelation but reopened when that didn't happen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.