Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ericdav0124 ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 08:54AM

so my patriarchal blessing says many things which to this day have confused the shit out of me. Ever since i came back from the LDS mission in Texas( didnt want to go there anyways) i have ceased from going to church regularly because of health problems but also because my blessing makes little sense at all. It says that i will go through trials, well no shit, i have severe anxiety, bipolar disorder, ibs, and i cannot go to school because of my anxiety and panic attacks, headaches are awful, tremblinmg is awful, hell i might have a rare disorder or disease along with the anxiety so im pretty fucking sure "trial" is the least emphasized word i can think of to describe all that im going through, im surprised im not dead. Along with my health shit about a year into the mission i found the girl i thouht for sure i would take to the temple. WE email each other back for a while after she went home(she was a sister missionary) and then out of nowhere she stops emailing me, sends me into 3 months of panic before i come home to find out she got engaged to someone else. Well isnt that just fucking great, my blessing says i will have to find the girl to marry and that the lord is preparing her for me.. oh really.. where the hell am i supposed to look oh and im still confused about if that girl i met on the mission was the one because everything was right and then just ended like that. So i cannot work because of my panic atttacks, and cannot date very much because my heart got broken and god just left me hanging, or im pretty sure it was the patriarch. Nothing has happened since the mission, not one fucking thing. It has been pain, sitting in my room, getting yelled at by my parents cause i cant work. I dont believe patriarchal blessings are of god, are temples yeah sure, i do not mock god but i am furious as to why my life has been a shithole after i spent two years going on a mission.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 03, 2018 08:56AM

by the way im fine sharing blessings with anyone, ive got the whole damn thing memorized, i just want to know if they really are as fake as i think they are

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 07:27PM

Of course they're fake!

My son's blessing promised him health, fortune, missionary adventures,temple marriage, children, important priesthood callings, and exaltation!

Thing is.... my son was born with a serious lung disease, and although he lived many years beyond medical expectations, he passed away at the age of 24 - no health, no mission, no important priesthood callings, no temple marriage, no children...... nothing.

He did, however, take responsibility for himself, lived his life to the fullest, and accomplished amazing things in the short time he had. He was a wonderful boy who grew into an awesome man! It was our privilege, indeed, to have been his parents and to know and love him.

"Though sorrow may impede my heart, It is of great love to have known you."

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 09:03AM

I used to have a calling where I transcribed Patriarchal Blessings. I think that calling was one of the first things which made me start to doubt, because most of them were pretty much all the same. If he knew the recipient personally, there might be a bit more personal information in there. But for the most part, they were pretty cookie-cutter deals.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 06:17PM

My best friend at the time and I compared our blessing and they were almost the same. We thought that meant that we are so much alike that god had almost the same words to share to us. Now I know better probably all of his were about the same

Date: February 04, 2018 06:22PM

Date: February 04, 2018 06:25PM

Posted by: ericdav012 ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 07:22PM

huh, so the majority of blessings are all the same besides maybe a tribe, well that pisses me off, really, and here i am thinking its all different.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 07:57PM

Think about the whole scenario...

All the normal American stakes in the morridor have a patriarch, so that's a lot of meat on the hoof, quite a herd, right?

Each of this old farts is supposed to have a special, direct line to the PB department of heaven, where operators are standing by, to pass along all the important future details of YOUR life when he puts his hands on your head and turns on the voice recorder.

He starts his speil as the info is pumped down to him, allegedly. But think about it! Ghawd isn't even talking to the head prophet in SLC! Ghawd never said jack to Monson, and nothing to Honk Honk Hinckley, either. Why on earth would you suppose that these old farts have any more connection with the creator? Just ask the Pope!!

Date: February 04, 2018 08:40PM

Finding out that Mormonism is false is like having your world turn upside down. It is a kick to the guts. But life without Mormonism is so much lighter freer and fun. No more endless meetings, tithing and so forth.
A patriarchal blessing is another paper that tells you what to do and to stay in the church. Another thing that does the thinking for you. I know a female who did not want to go on a mission but only went because it said in her blessing that she would serve a mission. She served her mission but left the church anyway a couple of years later. My blessing says that my non member dad will join the church through my example.
Well I have resigned from the church and no my dad is still not interested in any kind or type of religion. I did get married in the temple like my blessing said I would. My blessing said that if I pay tithing heaven will open and that I will receive blessings. Financially my non member friends who did not pay tithing were better off than me. :) lol hang in there it will get better.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 02:02PM

Finding out Mormonism is nothing but a string of lies is a real kick in the gut and humiliating. The relief for me after leaving the LDS bogus religion came not so much from ditching tithing, church attendance, and meaningless callings, although it helped. The real life change, and greatest relief, for me, came from no longer having to make sense out of the meaningless teachings and indoctrination. The insinuations that you are worthless because you never were a bishop, you are gay, or you were divorced/never married, etc, etc. All the shame and guilt shoveled onto Mormons because they never, ever can measure up to God's expectations is cruel. Once you let go of all the stupid trash that is part of a Mormon belief system you wake-up to the fact that you are just a human being; nothing more, nothing less. Each of us has his own trials, good fortune, and life experiences. It has nothing to do with being blessed or cursed. It's just LIFE. And living life as best you can is so much more fun without some old fart in Salt Lake City telling you that you aren't doing enough, or shelling out enough money to make God happy. Heck, make yourself happy. That's the only person in this world you know well enough to know HOW to make happy. And if you are happy, others will want to be with you for all the right reasons.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 09:24AM

Patriarchal blessings are a form of fortune telling. They will predict mission, marriage, babies, and service to the church, which is the blueprint for life as a TBM. Where is the imagination in that?

How many patriarchal blessings predict that a Mormon will be single their entire lives, or barren, or suffer repeated job losses, or be widowed at an early age? All of these significant life events have happened to faithful Mormons, but you will never see them in a blessing because a patriarch can no more predict the future than you can.

Try to get the best medical advice that you are able for your various disorders. I always recommend in difficult cases going to a physician who is affiliated with a teaching hospital/medical school, because that physician will be up on all of the latest advances. Getting your anxiety under control will be key. I know that anxiety is difficult because a family member suffered from it, and I have it to a mild degree (I get occasional panic attacks.)

At the same time, see if you can file for disability and for subsidized housing.

Good luck and do let us know how things go.

Date: February 03, 2018 06:41PM

good idea, i have wondered about filing for disability just m,y parents have caused so much hell, they blame me for everything, say its my fault i live in their basement. Also difficult when the church makes you feel guilty if you dont take your blesing seriously, like ive asked if i can share my blessing and they say no, that ill be cursed because its sacred.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 07:22PM

I think it can be very difficult for people to understand severe, persistent anxiety. I really didn't understand it until I started to get panic attacks. Your parents just don't get it, unfortunately. Perhaps one day they will.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 10:03AM

Wow, you have had it rough!

I didn't go on a mission, but otherwise identify with some of the same things you're going through.

The questions, the doubts, the uncertainties of having been lied to.

Your shelf has crumbled. It's only now you're seeing it from the bottom up, where the dust has settled and you're left to recover from what happened to you. In more ways than one because of the toll it has taken on your health - causing even more misunderstanding and confusion.

You do want to find a good doctor including a neurologist to find out what's causing your tremors. That could be a sign of something else. I have essential familial tremor that didn't begin to manifest until I was in my 20's. It isn't a terminal illness, but does resemble Parkinson's Disease. It's a neurological disorder that is hereditary. I got mine from my mother, it can be passed on to your children.

If it's Parkinson's Disease that is much more serious and will require ongoing treatment for the rest of your life. So don't wait and put off getting it diagnosed. There are treatments for both. They vary by illness.

Stress makes the tremors worse, so try and destress your environment as much as possible. Your parents should want to help you help yourself. If you can't go to them for help you may need to find someone else in your family or a close friend who can. Don't be afraid to ask.

It can take years to recover from having been a Mormon. I was born into the cult, so I speak from experience. I've been out longer than you. Am quite older in years. I still have some ongoing issues with some disruptions it caused me and my children over the years that may never be resolved. It caused long term damage to relationships to at least two of my children.

As a Mama Bear, I hold it responsible for that. It will never come clean to the damage it does - it's like a hit and run driver. It doesn't even glance back over its shoulder at who it leaves in its carnage as it careens on its merry way.

Hugs to you, and don't give up on yourself. Your journey is only just beginning. You will need a support system of some kind. Look for it from supportive family members; maybe another church besides LDS for now. I went church shopping when I first left when my children were small. I just kept looking until I found a good fit for my family. There are people who you'll find to care about you and your journey. Believe in yourself and have heart.

Forget the patriarchal blessing for now. It was nothing more than someone's words on a piece of paper. Whatever meaning it may have held for you once as you can see no longer apply to you because it wasn't factual, accurate or objective. I have kept mine from when I was twelve. As a part of my historical record. Otherwise, when I read it it is more from a subjective standpoint now than anything objective. I predict there will come a time you'll be able to do the same.

Time to let that baby go, and look for your inspiration elsewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 05:12PM by Amyjo.

Date: February 03, 2018 06:37PM

Amyjo yeah i went to the neurologist and they said there are multiple possibilities to what can be wrong with me. Great not even they know whats wrong with my body, plus the church never ever even visited me when sick, i thought thats what "godly people" do. I agree that the blessing is just words on some paper, finally someone who understands my reasoning. Because i have anxiety i have been freaking out over my blessing not knowing what the hell im supposed to do, and being scared god will punish me for anything wrong. Maybe i do need to let it go because it has haunted me for a while, literally ive been obsessing over it trying to figure everything out and it has made things worse.

Posted by: stellam ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 08:56PM

You would do well to let it go. It has as much validity as a fortune cookie message or a horoscope.

Sending healing and calming thoughts your way.

Date: February 03, 2018 09:14PM

God didn't pull the rug (of Mormonism,) to leave you floundering on the rocks.

He pulled the rug out from under you so you can find your footing on solid ground, sans cult. When I left the so called church, I learned God was there for me all along. He needed my leaving the cult to recognize my dependence on him was not tied to any cult or even organized religion.

He still hears and answers my prayers. He needed me to trust more in his care, instead of relying on the false teachings of the pseudo religion, Mormonism.

It does take time to resolve the conflict that presents, especially given your family's involvement with TSCC, and your youth. Your discovery is yours to own. I hope you find the answers to your questions, that life isn't so easily explained by Mormon utterances and recitation.

Embrace the mystery. The questions are more important than the answers to the big questions of why we are here, and the meaning of life.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 10:42AM

Amyjo gave good advice and comments. It is time to put yourself as number 1 priority now. As she said, it can take some folks years to recover; others not so much. I was into this "organization" for almost 50 years, been out for 2 years now. This is the time that your logic and common sense can kick in. For example, if patriarchal blessings are false, then everything else about TSCC is also false. Take care of your health first; everything else will fall into place. This forum is a good place to read about and learn new things in all areas of life.

Posted by: waunderdog ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 11:40AM

Your patriarchal blessing will cease to be confusing once you accept that it's utter bullshit. They aren't predictions of the future (and a good patriarch would've emphasized that), they're just meant to steer you in the direction of being a good cog in the church's machine.

Posted by: Psyched out ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 02:23PM

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 08:37PM

My patriarchal blessing sounded more like my responsibility to the church,serving it, set examples, etc,not any blessings. It told me that my responsibility was also to become a wife and mother, bringing these spirit children to earth,no blessings, tithing came up in a few different places.
It seemed to me that it was already written, but they just inserted my name in the proper places

Date: February 03, 2018 09:31PM

Mine was received when I turned 12. Our stake patriarch really took his time interviewing me, preceding the blessing. He was an elderly man who had devoted his life to the church and then his subsequent late in life calling.

It seemed tailor made at the time. I read it often throughout my teen years, following my parents divorce and subsequent remarriages. It helped me to navigate a rocky adolescence. Now that I reflect upon it, was a combination of fatherly advice as if he were counseling one of his own children.

And some promises made contingent on my gospel worthiness. Many of which failed to materialize as a faithful LDS. I came to learn my life had it's own pattern and evolution, sans what the church promised me how things would be.

I gave up my dependence on the cult for a greater dependence on my Creator. My life has been anything but easy, but it has been quite a learning curve.

:)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 09:08PM

I've only met one true "patriarch" (in the sense of one who could read my future), and that was the beautiful Jaelynn T., a friend and ex-Mormon. Jaelynn passed away at a young age from colon cancer. She came from a long line of Mormons, and left the church after getting her master's at BYU. She had a career with CIA, and retired back in like, 2001-2002, as I recall. But she once did a tarot card reading for me, and it was far more accurate (it was, in fact, VERY accurate) than my patriarchal blessing. LDS patriarchs don't even try anymore.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 09:28PM

I wouldn't worry about the patriarchal blessing but I would get out of my comfort zone, face the anxiety and find a job. Any job for starters and something better later. I was a lot like you when I returned from my mission. I lived with parents for awhile but soon realized I had to find my own way in the world so moved to Provo and lived out of the back of my truck in a camper I built. I also found hobbies that I enjoyed. I took up archery, did a lot of fishing and played in a band. All this gave me things to do and find some friends. While I attended school I found ample opportunity to meet and date lots of girls. Eating well (avoid the junk food) and lots of activities and exercise may help with the health problems. Everyone must find their own path. I like to think you can find your way as well.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 09:52PM

I knew a lady who was promised she would live to see the 2nd coming of Jesus. She would be about 110 now.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 09:52PM

Is she single?

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 05:49PM

Back off dog...I saw her first...has she money??...enough for my needs??...least they could do is get better psychics to carry on this nutty tradition...I'll profitize for you Eric...the law of averages says. Couple things said might come about...but it's all bs and the sooner you move on from it and the church you got it from the better your life will be...mentally and physically...I mean really...could things be any worse being a non believer??...cheer up they said...things could be worse...so I cheered up sure enough things things got worse

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 07:40PM

I still can't believe I'm 60. Talking about PB, I can just see myself back at your age working so hard to live as perfect as possible so God would bring me my husband that I also had been promised in my PB. All the girls I knew were married and I was still single. No mormon guys liked me. The guys I worked with were mostly mormons and couldn't believe I wasn't married yet. The years went by . . . and I finally met someone who I thought would be the one I married. I had been proposed to by 3 nonmormons by that time and the really good mormon guys I worked with couldn't figure out why I wouldn't marry these nonmormons.

So I finally met a guy when I was 25 and I was sure this was the one. We had been dating 7 months when I pinned him down on what was really going on in our relationship and he told me he is gay. Shit! What a blow. We married 18 months later on the advice of the leaders. He left me 11 years after we got married. My life was hell.

I last read my PB just before I almost threw it away about 10 years ago. My daughter had gone back to church and had just received her PB. I reread mine. I also almost had it memorized back then, all those years ago. I went out to throw it in the trash and decided to give it to my daughter so that she could reread it over and over again and see how WRONG IT WAS. It actually said in it that I would never be called upon to suffer unduly at any time. Well, WTF had I done up to that point? NOTHING.

I lost my beliefs. My life has gone so much better than it ever did has a mormon. Quit dreaming of what that PB tells you. It is pure BS. Go out and LIVE. I have anxiety and panic, too. Go out and walk. Get out of that basement!

I have a son who has some of the same issues, but he is working. He keeps improving as I allow him to take his time. Some people may think I enable him, but that's my right. I understand him as he is much like me. He has had some hard knocks himself and has attempted suicide a few times. But the most important thing you can do is GET OUT OF THAT BASEMENT. Maybe you have to live there for a while, but get out. Get some sunshine. Quit believing in mormonism. It is a lie. The temple is a joke. Search on here about it copying masonic rituals. The temple was NOTHING like the religion I believed in growing up. I was always goingn to be the perfect temple attender. I was disturbed by the temple, DISTURBED. My temple name is Lucy. Go figure. I guess God named me Lucy. Hey anyone, show him the place you can look up temple names for day of the month. That name Lucy was a real shocker to me and my ex-husband.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 10:52AM

This is why you are encouraged to NOT share your P.B. the church must know what BS it is that they don't want others to compare them. Heck, if anyone is interested, I'll gladly do a Youtube reading of mine.

Date: February 05, 2018 12:24PM

I am interested, please do a youtube video about your PB.

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 01:11PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_uH5IUE-28

One comment reads

DocHolliday311
4 years ago
I got mine back in 2007, then not long after fell away and became very sinful.. made some big mistakes. I have since come back to church and have and am still repenting. Is my blessings still valid even though I didnt follow the "IF's" for a bit there? what do you guys think?

Posted by: ericdav012 ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 05:05PM

why the hell do you think you need to repent? as long as you dont kill anyone i dont think god is going to punish you. And by sins you mean the church telling you you sinned and every church leader condemning you to make you feel awful? no , ive had enough of that myself, its one thing to believe in christ but to have someone else make you feel horrible is downright hypocritical.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 01:35PM

Id say my PB was more a marketing tool than a prophetic utterance. It goes on about my loving to share my testimony. I've ALWAYS hated even telling people I was a Mormon because where I live Mormonism is a giant joke. It said I'd marry in the temple and have a bushel of kids. I've never married nor had a single kid and I was always a worthy TBM all through my 20's and 30's but the Mormon males who proposed were ignorant jerks who mostly proposed on the very first date and walked away when I said I'd have to get to know them better. The only decent guys I dated were never Mormon. Why they would date a Mormon still puzzles me. They were good guys. It was me being TBM that eventually ended those relationships

If my PB wasn't bad enough, I read my Mom's. It was absolutely horrible. Because Mom was a convert and married to a man who didn't want to be baptized (he never joined and tried to keep his family out of MOrmonism) the patriarch totally trashed my dad in Mom's blessing. He made it sound like dad would end up in outer darkness and Mom would receive the opportunity to marry again in the temple and raise a more righteous family with this new man. So, I guess that made me chopped liver???? After my dad died my Mom never remarried. She has spent the past 28 years alone and wasn't the least bit interested in another man nor getting married in the temple. Dad was a great husband and wonderful father. I'd like to see that patriarch flogged for the inhuman things he said about my precious father whom he had never even met.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.