Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: peacelovemoana ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 08:53PM

https://www.facebook.com/taylor.christensen.94/videos/10212303827164811/

My friend shared this video on Facebook. I found it interesting that the problems with the church are being acknowledged, but it was ultimately disheartening to see that all these issues are still just being brushed aside.
I suppose many Mormons are unwilling to give up the idea that faith is more important than fact, and that is where I think the disconnect between TBMs and exmormons occurs.

What are your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 09:22PM

I think Mormons are realizing they need to be more like older religions. Most people could care less about the history, shady characters or facts about their religion.

It's mindboggling how faith is all they need.

IMO, Mormons have held themselves to a higher standard trying to insist parts of their history are literally true. The BS origins with JS and Nephite BS really aren't important when you compare to how other religions spin and wash history to make the myth stay relevant.

Welcome to the real world, Mormons. Soon you will be making fun of your own history like Catholics but supporting the damn religion anyway.

It's all about belonging and faith.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 09:31PM

They couldn't have ponied 20 bucks to rent a tripod?

:-) :-) :-)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 09:36AM

Or a stand to put the script on so the doofus in the video doesn't keep looking at the papers in his hand...

The premise of the video is rather sad. "Yeah, most of this "anti" stuff is true. But the BoM is still true, JS was still a prophet."

Kid, your "testimony" is worthless. You don't know what you claim to know. You believe. And your belief is demonstrably false.

And your video skills suck. :)

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 12:33AM

Even though the Bible has some things that don't make scientific sense (such as Adam and Eve and the Worldwide Flood), it does have some archaeological backings and manuscript back-ups (such as the Dead Sea scrolls). Plus the people have the right DNA to prove who they are. Therefore, Christians have a reason to hang on to their Holy Book, even if they attend a church that has background problems. The Book of Mormon has no evidentiary backings at all. I was taught in Seminary as a teen that the Book of Mormon is the keystone--if it falls, then Joseph Smith is not a prophet and the WHOLE CHURCH FALLS DOWN! There is a huge amount of evidence that the Book of Mormon is only fiction. Everyone should be walking out, unless they want to accept the BoM as an allegory. But all of the prophets from Joseph Smith on taught us that it was literal! I walked out three years ago.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 10:03AM

Is this a trick by him to get Mormons to listen to the long list of lies, trickery, and disgusting behavior of Joseph Smith while pretending he has a testimony?

This is how I translate the video," I know this chicken has salmonella, but the sauce is wonderful, so I'm going to eat this chicken and feel sad for anyone who doesn't."

The Mormons are not going to give up their feelings. This video will help alleviate the insecurities they have about staying in a church where all the facts are either ugly or non-existent, like the BoM or BoA. Their only option is just to keep "protesting too much!"

Mormons need a helluva lot of rainbows, unicorns, and cotton candy feelings in order to stay once the blinders are off like this is kid's are. How he could read that itemized list of facts about his church and then defend it and still call those who left lost is beyond me. Next he should do a video on integrity.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 11:30AM

"I'm a Mormon, and Mormons just believe"

This video is another example about how in Mormonism belief is
more important than truth. Basically he's saying, "the truth is
that it's false, but I believe anyway."

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 01:04PM

To me it seemed like he was making the argument that God intentionally is hiding or confusing the evidence because we need faith, not proof.

Any God that intentionally hides or confuses evidence of the truthfulness of him/his church is a prick and not worth worshipping in my opinion.

Mormons like to talk about how our heavenly father loves us and wants us to inherit his kingdom. To me, the fact that he has so confused things by choosing a known fraud as his Prophet, releasing a scripture that is full of flaws and has a shady history, and selecting leaders who are constantly revising doctrine and hiding the history, is proof he does not want us to inherit his kingdom. It more sounds like a scrooge who is trying everything he can to keep people from getting what is his.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 11:22PM

I appreciate this young mans honesty and courage to bring this up the way he has. He has already had 80K views.

I agree with OP, Faith does not trump truth, truth trumps all.

I think perhaps the author of video is on his way out and the church leaders would rather this sort of going public with church's issues wouldn't happen in social media.

We are experiencing a great awakening on many fronts thanks to establishment media loosing its monopoly over information.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.