Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 02:13PM

Reading this I was horrified. I'm the parent of adult children. The thought of one of them killing my wife and their sibling calls up few other horrors I can think of.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/a-texas-man-vowed-to-forgive-whoever-killed-most-of-his-family-then-he-learned-it-was-his-son/ar-BBIBf5X

My own parents don't give two sheets in the wind about me now, therefore I conclude either of them would be totally cool with a dead sentence for me. I think they would attend and it would be something along the lines of blood atonement.

They have two things against me. I actively fight their right to decree our family is good and I don't believe in their religion.

These two facts don't sit well with the people I came from so I wonder if they would, despite my thinking, fight for me not to get capitally killed? As a teenager and an adult leaving off believing I did have a lot of anger at them for my existence. My mother confessed to me that she only married and had kids because she thought it was her duty to God. And really 10 kids? She really took her duty to her god seriously.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 02:14PM

Here is something to counter the horror above. If my kids ever needed this help, I'm glad it could happen in the world.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/a-woman-fell-asleep-on-a-train-she-woke-up-30-minutes-later-to-find-dollar140-in-her-lap/ar-BBICuaj

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 02:30PM

“Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.” Revenge was a dark path he did not want to walk, Kent realized...

So it's OK for "the Lord" to be on that "dark path" of revenge, but not the humans he (supposedly) created?

I don't know about my mom (my only living parent).

I do know that I'd fight for my own childrens' lives, no matter what. And not because I push off "revenge" onto some god-thing.

(I should add that I'm against ANY death penalty, for anyone. Because that's all it is -- revenge. And because a state that kills its citizens has no right to demand they not kill each other. But even if I weren't, I'd still fight for my own kids)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 03:21PM

I think it would depend on the circumstances and who I had killed. If I killed my disabled brother, who they fought for all their lives, I don't know if they would fight for me. I wouldn't blame them if they didn't.

That's a tough question. What I can say is they would side with me if it came to living in the CK or where their kids are. I don't think either of them would be happy in a CK type scenario. If I told them what the leaders had done (they knew enough), there would have been some men who should be concerned about their safety, like that dad who tried to attack that doctor who abused his daughters in court I think it was today. We had neighbors move over fear of my dad after their son molested my sister.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 03:22PM by cl2.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 03:52PM

Are you kidding? My mother would have thrown me in front of a bus to get her own agenda met.

Probably. It certainly felt that way.

Maybe not, though. Although she was a nut job and Narcissistic Personality Disordered, she wasn't COMPLETELY inhuman.

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 03:59PM

My mom would not have pi%%ed on me if I was on fire. Now my priesthood holding imbecile brother? Mother would have gladly took his place and been executed for him irregardless of his crime.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 09:43PM

Hell, no.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 06:54PM

No

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 07:09PM

I think my dad would have fought with his life for us children.

My mother I doubt she'd go to her death to fight for any one of us.

She would've gotten all hysterical though, and freaked out if anyone tried to do anything to us.

Under the circumstances of the son murdering his entire family, and subject to state capital punishment - it's too tragic to comprehend where the father is coming from in his grief.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 07:24PM

Only if I was true (right) - which I am - [and they knew it].

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 07:50PM

Yes they would.

Posted by: waunderdog ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 08:27PM

My father would if it didn't get in the way of his many many church duties.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 12:46AM

Yes, many times over.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 12:56AM

My parents would not fight for my life unfortunately. Put my name in the temple yes but nothing as far as ligitamitely fighting.

Posted by: Rameumptom ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 08:19AM

My mother thinks (wrongly) that she is fighting for my life. She considers it an act of tremendous love and devotion that she never, ever, ever gives up on believing I'll come back to church. The fact that it ruins our relationship is just more proof of how much sacrifice she is willing to make for my sake.

Poor deluded, sad, soul.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 10:02AM

Absolutely. And they have. Without them I would be dead. Would I? Yes and have for one of my children. And I would for my neighbor.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 06:18PM

I was only four years old, and came down with Rubella measles. They didn't have the vaccine, back then.

My mother, a hyper-vigilant RN, heard me breathing in a rattly way (I think it is called "rales.") She rushed me to the doctor, who confirmed that I had pneumonia.

I think (she would never confirm it) Mother filched vials of penicillin from the hospital she worked in, and for about a week, she and my Grandma, also an RN, gave me shots of it every 12 hours, with my beleaguered Dad holding me down. All 3 of them told me over subsequent years that I came very close to dying. I never thought to ask why they hadn't put me in the hospital. Very likely, they didn't do it because of the cost, and nobody could have gotten better care than I did.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 06:38PM

:)

Date: February 04, 2018 06:48AM

Her quick thinking and actions saved your life.

Rubella is a wicked disease. The vaccine for that came out when I was a sixth grader. The school kids were all lined up to take it one day in the school auditorium. That was the first time I'd seen a vaccine 'gun' that was used to inoculate us with. Those were new then too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2018 09:53AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 10:50PM

Usually, when I saw one of them coming at me with the syringe, I would try to run to another room and hide, or fight for all I was worth. I hated those shots.

One time, I just didn't care. I remember dimly wondering why I wasn't fighting, or why I didn't even feel the shot. The next shot DID hurt, and I started fighting again.

I must have been in very bad shape, indeed.

Date: February 03, 2018 08:42PM

I would fight for my children's lives in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 11:05PM

My parents would of both fought for my life, and ditto.
I was always close to them growing up.
That creep who killed his mother and brother, who you posted your link to, BART Whitaker was on the ID channel a lot.
I’ve seen that episode at least 6 times. That’s the guy with the weird eyelash. It looks either yellow or white.

Date: February 04, 2018 06:52AM

There was a pseudo dad in Texas executed Friday for murdering his two daughters while his wife listened helplessly on the phone as she pleaded for their lives.

On Friday he taunted his ex-wife as he was being administered the lethal injection. That was too kind a death sentence IMO.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 12:31AM

NO!

apparently, I was aware of that even as a preschooler. as I often had dreams (night mares) that I had been killed in front of my parents. They did not put up the slightest resistance to my being killed. In fact they were very co operative with the authorities who were duty bound to execute me on the spot. In one variation of the dream, when police or soldiers explained that I would have to be killed, as they had been apprehended for illegally harboring me as we were traveling in the car, it was mutually agreed that I should be taken out of the car to be shot, so it would not make a bloody mess with in the car. My parents profusely apologized for not turning me in to be killed sooner. The police thanked my parents for not resisting. My parents were so compliant in my execution that they would not have to face any punishment of their own for not having me killed sooner. My parents thanked the police for not dispatching me with in the car.

.....my life obviously did not mean much to my parents, and I was keenly aware of that even as a small child.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 12:49AM

OK, here is more.

As good MORmONS my parents were very against having fun especially outside of a MORmON context.

I read about an account where Steve Young had played Pee Wee football. Some kid had clothes lined Steve which hurt Steve and put Steve on the ground. Steve's mom rushed onto the field, on her way to Steve, she picked up the offending tackler by the back of his jersey and then chewed out the kid for breaking the rules while also making her was to attend to her injured son / hurt Steve .

That story really stirred me up because of the contrast that it so effectively painted for me as I know my mom well enough to know that my mom NEVER would have done that on my account. In fact IF my tackler had felt bad about disabling me, my mom could be counted on to tell him not to feel bad because I had gotten exactly what I deserved for engaging in a frivolous activity like playing football. That point would also be adamantly emphasized to me as I laid on the ground in agony.

....my parents are incomprehensible/ unfathomable MORmON @$$ holes !!! who ONLY care about their standing in their STUPID MORmON religion !!!

Posted by: afraid of mormons ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 08:12AM

My bully older brother tortured and beat me for years, until I graduated high school and left home. My parents did not protect me from him. They even allowed him to torture me, in front of them. When I yelled for them to help me, they said, "You know we can't do anything to control your brother." He was bigger than they were. They didn't get him, or me, any psychological help. They had him tested to see if he was retarded, and he tested normal, and that was all they cared about. Often, they would punish ME for being in my brother's way, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Anything would set him off--mostly it had nothing to do with what I said or did. He was free to vent on me, whenever he wanted to. I grew up feeling that I was not worth protecting, and my parents didn't care about me.

Towards the middle of my life, when my husband abandoned me and my children, with no money, my parents stepped in and paid for a divorce attorney, and, later, helped me with the down payment for our house. I feel that they rescued me and my children. This made up for their previous mistakes.

Parents can "grow up" and change. As they got older, the progressed into not going to the temple, not paying tithing, then not going to church at all. At the time my husband left, my parents were inactive. My children and I were still TBM.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.