Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 07:12PM

my tbm friend thinks I drink too much. I don't drink at all. this tbm's niece has decided not to go on a mission. she is a great girl. This TBM today told me that she'll be sleeping around and drinking in no time because she's decided on not going on a mission. This niece currently goes to college full time, has a job and just moved out on her own. I think she s doing really good for herself. but my TBM friend told me when you stray from the truth you automatically sleep around and drink. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT THINKING !!!!!.

I don't say anything back to her because she is entitled to her opinion. But I know what really happens when you are not a Mormon. LIFE. beautiful LIFE

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 07:30PM

She's not giving her "opinion."
She's making a claim -- "that's what happens when you 'stray from the truth'."

Her claim is demonstrably false. And even if it weren't -- so what? The vast majority of the world has alcohol now and then, and damn never every human in the world has sex at some point. Those things don't make you "evil." They make you human.

Lots of Mormons like to pretend they're super-human. They're not. They're misled, indoctrinated, and most of all...dishonest.
Like when they make demonstrably false claims.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 02:18AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lots of Mormons like to pretend they're
> super-human.

Gods in embryo, of course.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 07:37PM

I would correct her misperceptions about yourself -- "Drink too much what? Water? Because I do not drink alcoholic beverages." If she can't accept that, she's not someone I would care to call a friend. Friends take you at your word unless you've done something to prove otherwise.

I would also stick up for her daughter. This woman is saying some very mean things about her. You could say something like, "I think that [daughter] shows remarkably good judgement and is doing a great job so far. I have faith in her." Look at it this way -- if the daughter ever overheard the two of you, what would help her to feel better about the mean things her mom is saying?

What this woman is saying is not an opinion. It is slander. It is a form of bullying. Treat it as such.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 07:39PM by summer.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 08:03PM

Ditto.
P

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 08:29PM

My habits haven't changed at all since I left the Church over a decade ago.

I think I'm a better person now too. I'm more accepting of others and their differences. I'm more true to myself. I like myself a lot better now.

But as far as my habits go, I still don't drink alcohol, coffee or tea. I still don't smoke. I still don't do drugs. I'm still a very moral person. I'm still just me. I wouldn't have done those things even if I'd never been Mormon.

Only now it's my own choice. It's nice to know that I could do those things now, if I wanted to. I just choose not to.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 02:36AM

That is standard Mormon "Magical Thinking". Members are spoon fed cream and sugar doctrine to believe if they follow CHURCH INC Lifestyle, it will protect them from all the evils of the earth, including poor choices.

For the record, the worst decision I ever made in life was jointing the LDS church.

When I first left Mormonism, my now TBM ex husband stated I would become a alcoholic , homeless, whore.

I own my own home, I have a great job (and actually make more than him) and am at peace. I make my own decisions. Oh, and did I mentioned I raised our children on my own for many years while he went to go enjoy his well-deserved life? I took the accountability to be a responsible adult, parent and woman. He tried to sabotage every dating experience I had and kept telling me no one would want a woman like me.

Funny how someone can assume you are going to be a whore, but also feels no one would want you.

My parents raised me to be a good, honest person with solid ethics. When people comment that I must have come from a "good Christian family" I am quick to reply that my parents were atheist and agnostic.

Belonging to a church, or organization of any kind for that matter, does not mean you have kindness, temperance, soberness, chastity, integrity or generosity on trademark.

Looking back, during my marriage my ex TBM was ok with me having a glass of wine or a cup of coffee when I first left the church. But he changed his mind shortly after and trumped up a long list of sins that I had not even thought possible.

If Im ever faced with another Mormon attitude of my sins of this life....Im just going to smile and say "Jealous much?"

RMM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 10:43AM

Beautiful, RMM.

I was seen by my family as just someone who couldn't resist sin and was sure to have an awful life.

I ended up with the best life of all. The most successful. The healthiest,(knock on wood), and the one who checked off a huge bucket list. At the end, my elderly father finally told me how proud of me he was and that he really liked me, besides loving me, which was more important to me. We missed a lot of years waiting for that moment when he could see me for me and not through Mormon eyes, but at least it came.

And so, when people accuse me of just wanting to sin, I sometimes want to say,"Why don't we compare notes at the end of our lives? See how it all turned out."

I feel sorry for anyone who never learns that there is more to life than jumping through the hoops someone holds up for you.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 12:04PM

I was baptized against my will but then my wheels started spinning... And I started to get somewhere. Afraid of change? Stan? The man ?

I look forward to the day someone asks me why I left TMC. I found/ learned the truth. I was tired of all the trouble and lies and bs. I found happiness (elsewhere) Mormonism could never provide. I followed my heart, used common sense, etc., etc., etc....

BUT THEY WON'T. They are afraid of learning the truth. They don't care about you when you aren't just like them: gullible. A pushover? Senile

M@t

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 01:46PM

Unfortunately, since leaving LDS, Inc. in the dust I have neither "slept around" nor started drinking. Probably the only thing I've done to be "unworthy" besides ditching church meetings is to drink tea. I really enjoy tea! Coffee gives me indigestion. I don't smoke either.

So, if you want, you can tell your friend that you know of an ex-Mormon who neither sleeps around nor drinks. It's not inevitable. And I've been out for years.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 07:16PM

She sounds like a very rational, mature young woman - all things considered.

Her TBM parent should be proud she has her head on so straight rather than cockamamie backwards.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 08:10PM

Your TBM friend is projecting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.