Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: danr ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 10:26AM

My tbm wife has been pretty good about letting the Mormon wall hangings go. We have no more pictures of temples, prophets, or Jesus, as I have taken them down over the years. We never had the "Proclamation to the World" piece hanging up.

I changed the last couple of sayings that were still hanging on. Now, our sign says, "As for me and my house, we will serve coffee". She didn't like that one, and so I took the entire sign down, and she was fine with that.

A few years ago a tbm couple gave us a large clock that said "I need thee every hour". I changed it to "I need tea every hour". She made some comment about how that was rude, but she left it. I think she is okay with it because the first time I put "I need to pee every hour" and I think it was too true to life for her. It's quite easy to change the black stick-on letters on the clock.

I'm happy we don't have any "Families are Forever" boards hanging up. It is difficult to think of anything that would substitute that saying. I guess "fat-knees are forever" would work, but she would just make me take that down. I'm very happy that our home is starting to look less Mormon, especially with the smell of fresh brewed coffee every morning. I really hate Mormon wall hangings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 11:24AM

danr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...that said "I need thee every hour". I changed it
> to "I need tea every hour".

Priceless :)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 08:53PM

When one has prostate issues, the correct expression is, “I need to pee every hour.”

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 11:26AM

"I really hate Mormon wall hangings."

I sooooo relate to this. They are one of my pet peeves and was the first thing to go when we resigned.

"As for me and my house, we will serve coffee" Love this one. :D

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 01:36PM

Haha I love the way you have had fun with all those "art" hangings.

I was so happy the day I went to see the family and the first thing to see as you walk in the door was no longer the photo of Monson---next to some temple printed on gold foil, and the usual gold toned Jesus with the far-away-look. I never asked why it's only Jesus now--my clan is as TBM as you get. I just hope I never have to look at Nelson or Oaks over the fireplace when I get home. Luckily the Proclamation of the family came down before I could enact my plan to make it disappear on its own.

"What proclamation? Don't know nuthin'bout no proclamation."

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 01:50PM

I always wanted to hang pictures of the chief executive officers and the Board of Directors from Eastern Airlines, General Motors and Borg Warner in the living room.

Why?

Because my parents insisted on hanging a framed version of the profits in that awful church leadership pyramid. To me they all looked a like anyways.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 02:41PM

How about the resin "grapes" cast in glass Christmas ornaments, then you break the glass, to expose these perfect spheres.

I think the fact that they were in fact absolutely perfect spheres is what appealed to Mormon women in the 1960s and 70s. It was the Mormon ideal of perfection, and was actually achievable by a regular person.

Sorry for the hijack, but you brought back memories of Mormon crafts from my youth.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 04:11PM

Yes, my mom had some relief society amber colored grapes on our table for many years. It must have been a Mormon world-wide project since so many families had them.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 06:25PM

My (ex)mother in law had them on her coffee table the last time I remember being in her house in the 90s. I think that and the piggy banks made out of clorox bottles were a RS commandment in the 60s.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 06:13PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.