Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 12:14PM

I'm baffled by this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/former-us-presidential-candidate-romney-announces-utah-senate-bid/ar-BBJdbcI

Here is a man who was a governor of one state and wants to be a senator of another. He seems to be an aspiring autocrat in American government and takes his potential autocracy in a religious vein.

Utah, as run by Mormons, doesn't seem to me to be anything but a theocracy. This man who would be POTUS now wants to sell religious values and lessons to DC?

I thought Orrin Hatch was something of a Mormon autocrat but Romney is actually warning Americans that he wants to promote the values of a very religious state in The Senate. Baffles the mind. Was he promoting Utah values in Mass. when he was gov?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 12:29PM

Utah's (mormon) values:
pay 10% of your income to your church or else burn in hell
Take the side of male abusers over their victims
loudly denigrate LGBT human beings and their children
make stuff up on a regular basis
value the profits of corporations over the environment

Utah's (mormon) lessons:
Lie to the government until you can't get away with it anymore (polygamy)
kill people you think (wrongly) are a threat (MMM)
Dressing up in 1950's IBM worker attire makes you look "trustworthy"
When you're faced with loss of your tax-exempt religion status, make up a "revelation" and pretend you never did the things that were going to get your tax-exempt status taken away (blacks and the priesthood)
Deny, obfuscate, lie ("I don't think we ever taught that") when caught doing nasty/stupid things.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 12:41PM

Digression: this blacks and the priesthood thing is another urban legend. Their tax exempt status was never in danger over this issue. There was plenty of social pressure, and a temple was about to open in Brazil, a country with a large mixed-race population, some of which became Mormon, despite the best efforts of people like me :-/ to prevent it. That was why the change in policy happened.

You will notice that LDS Inc still discriminates against women in the priesthood. That endangers their tax-exempt status in no way, shape or form.

If their tax-exempt status had been in danger, that would have been the biggest religious-political news story of the second half of the 20th century. It wasn't. BTW, the biggest religious-political news story of the first half of the 20th century was polygamy. LDS Inc got to take that trophy home.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 01:20PM

BoJ, I don't agree.

Bob Jones university lost its tax-exempt status due to racist policies in 1975, a case the morg surely watched closely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jones_University_v._United_States

The church was sued by the NAACP for its racist policies in scouting -- and even though the suit was dropped when the church allowed black church troop scouts to be troop leaders, that was a scare for the church.

There were *also* the issues you mentioned -- but the Bob Jones situation clearly indicated that loss of tax-exempt status was a real possibility, if they didn't do something.

They simply did something before the IRS got around to acting, that's all.

The BJU (oh, the jokes I could make about THAT) decision was reversed in 1978 (but after the church came out with their "revelation"), then re-affirmed by SCOTUS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2018 01:28PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 01:34PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Digression: this blacks and the priesthood thing
> is another urban legend. Their tax exempt status
> was never in danger over this issue. There was
> plenty of social pressure, and a temple was about
> to open in Brazil, a country with a large
> mixed-race population, some of which became
> Mormon, despite the best efforts of people like me
> :-/ to prevent it. That was why the change in
> policy happened.
>
> You will notice that LDS Inc still discriminates
> against women in the priesthood. That endangers
> their tax-exempt status in no way, shape or form.
>
Find a guy named Wally Sandak in Salt Lake City. His late father Wally sr. Filed on behalf of his work for the ACLU.

The church buckled.
> If their tax-exempt status had been in danger,
> that would have been the biggest
> religious-political news story of the second half
> of the 20th century. It wasn't. BTW, the biggest
> religious-political news story of the first half
> of the 20th century was polygamy. LDS Inc got to
> take that trophy home.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 12:30PM

Mormon politicians have an unreal view of "Utah values". They've been taught, since birth that they are morally superior and more righteous that us "gentiles". While the majority in Utah may believe that bullshit, the rest of America thinks Utah is an oppressive, regressive, backwater. And they're right. America doesn't have much use for mormons or mormon rhetoric.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 12:50PM

who mostly believe if the country were run with "Utah values"it would be much better. Very odd thing to say in the wake of the Porter incident, which exposed those "values" as superficial and harmful to women in abusive marriages.

May sound crazy to the rest of the country, but he just needs votes from Utah to win.

Date: February 16, 2018 01:45PM

Oh, he'll win with 60+% of the vote-no doubt. But, as far as him inflicting "Utah Values" on the rest of the country, not going to happen. Like I said, the rest of America laughs at Utah and mormons. A few weeks ago, I was back east for a meeting (Ohio). Typical deal, meet during the day, then go out to dinner as a group (about 15 people). Most of us would end up in the hotel bar after dinner for a few cocktails. After the 3rd night, a few people asked me about Utah. These are college educated people in their 40's and 50's. They asked me if I was mormon. I said "we've been out to dinner and the bar 3 nights in a row. I drink beer and scotch and tell dirty jokes with you guys- you think I'm a mormon)?" It's pretty funny what people think of Utah. They asked about the funny underwear and if any of my neighbors had multiple wives. They asked about prairie dresses and if women are allowed to cut their hair. I think a lot of their impressions are based from Big Love. Bottom line, most Americans really don't give mormons, or mormonism, much thought. And when they do, it's pretty negative.

Posted by: brigham666 ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 12:55PM

Mitt lived in Utah during the Winter Olympic times.
He was there more than long enough that the law considered him a legal resident and required him to get a Utah Drivers License.

He did not do so.

Laws don't apply to TheMittster, do they?

He is nothing but an East Coast Carpetbagger - perfect for the hypocrites that run the State.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 01:09PM

brigham666 Wrote:
> He is nothing but an East Coast Carpetbagger -
> perfect for the hypocrites that run the State.

Following Orrin's lead and leadership. Old boss same as the new boss.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 10:49PM

brigham666 Wrote:
> Mitt lived in Utah during the Winter Olympic
> times.
> He was there more than long enough that the law
> considered him a legal resident and required him
> to get a Utah Drivers License.
>
> He did not do so.
>
> Laws don't apply to TheMittster, do they?
>
> He is nothing but an East Coast Carpetbagger -
> perfect for the hypocrites that run the State.

Yah, Well, just as Rmoney hoped to become president of the United States of America, he still did not think enough of the USA to bother with having his yacht chartered in the same country that he wanted to be president of.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 12:58PM

1.If you see something you want. Cheat lie and steal for it. Work is for suckers.

2. The only humans with any value are WHITE, TEMPLE WORTHY, TITHE PAYING MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH. All others are to be treated with disdain and disrespect. Especially non whites.

3. Theft is not only o.k. but as riotous as misrepresentation or lying

4.Rape. O.k. if committed against a woman. Lest we forget all the children who get raped buy their Mormon "Leaders" every day in Utah.

5.Women are now and will always be treated with less respect you'd give a horse.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 01:09PM

Romney, despite where he was born, raised, and spent much of his adult life, is a Utah Mormon to the bone. "Utah Mormon" is not a place, it is a state of (shriveled) mind. He is pitch perfect.

He and Evan McMullin and Jeff Flake are three fairly prominent Mormon politicians desperately trying to pull the R Party back from the grotesque caricature of the Party of Lincoln that it is becoming. I wish them luck, though I don't expect they will have much.

Romney has all the charisma of plastic product packaging, but he is an institutionalist ("good" Mormons are institutionalist to the bone - that's what makes him such a good Utah Mormon). Right now the Rs desperately need some institutionalists.

He will win in a cake walk. For better or for worse, he is more of a Utah Mormon than most Utah Mormons are.

Posted by: cynful ( )
Date: February 17, 2018 02:45AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:

> Romney has all the charisma of plastic product
> packaging, but he is an institutionalist ("good"
> Mormons are institutionalist to the bone - that's
> what makes him such a good Utah Mormon). Right now
> the Rs desperately need some institutionalists.
>
> He will win in a cake walk. For better or for
> worse, he is more of a Utah Mormon than most Utah
> Mormons are.

SO perfect... LMAO at "all the charisma of plastic product packaging". Priceless.

Oh, but wait... I'm sure Rmoney (thanks smirkorama), OWNS that plastic company. OMG.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 02:20PM

'Utah' (Mormons have) has no values. Neither does Mittens. Good match.

Can he strike it?

M@t

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 05:59PM

From what I've gathered from some time spent in Utah and around Utahns, Utah values are:
1. Galileo was wrong-the world revolves around Utah.
2. Despite no evidence to support it, Utahns are superior.
3. If it's different, shun it.
4. There is nothing wrong with being fake. From Utah's history to anti-depressant use, nothing true is useful.
5. Driving should be as aggressive as possible. A drive to work should resemble the movie "Mad Max: Fury Road."
6. If it makes you or the Mormon church money, white collar crime is permitted.
7. If a woman is raped, she should be blamed or discredited by all loyal Utahns.
8. Obey the Mormon church, the true overlords of Utah.

Personally, I'm not finding these values appealing.

Date: February 16, 2018 06:06PM

Pretty much nailed it. I'd add; If you can't see it, it doesn't happen. That's the approach they take to drinking (Zion curtains) and sex. Sex ed will never happen in Utah-abstinence only.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 06:14PM

I think that will be Utah value 9 on the list.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 10:59PM

By their fruits ye shall know them.

1. rabid racism, as scripture, as doctrine!
2. institutional adultery, intentionally mislabeled as polygamy in order to skirt the issue
3. forged scripture
4. mass murder at MMM
5. Hated the USA, until it was (politically -> financially) beneficial to embrace Statehood

.....seems like a nice start

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 11:27PM

If you value your sanity you'll get out. That's the lesson.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 11:36PM

Utah's values and lessons ?

Thanx for the laugh.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.