Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 18, 2018 05:09PM

Those rock formations looked vewy familiar.

And that is why. Opening scenes were shot on location at Arches National Park, outside Moab.

The Mormons got nuthin' on Spielberg. ;P

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/i/indie_last.html#.Won4QuinHrc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2018 11:06PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: February 18, 2018 05:21PM

The location is unique in all the world. I spent three weeks down there on a geologic excursion. My time split between there and Grand Junction, Colorado.

I'll be taking my children there in either spring or fall this year. I haven't decided yet. It will be an adventure with my field book in hand. I'm very excited to go revisit my 2010 adventure. It is really different through the eyes of an earth scientist!

Date: February 18, 2018 06:21PM

You're in a very cool field of science. For that part of the country, my understanding there are still lots of fossils and Indian artifacts to be discovered in those hills.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2018 11:06PM by Amyjo.

Date: February 18, 2018 07:59PM

You are correct. It is full of geologic history and evidence of deep time. Very few places on earth have these arches or natural bridges. Another place you can find these types of geologic formations is in Kentucky.

I used to live 30 minutes away from here and it was my favorite playground. Although the geologic processes involved are a little different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Bridge_State_Resort_Park

Date: February 19, 2018 10:25PM

Is that bridge used for foot traffic, or any other kind of passage?

It looks really awesome! It took millions of years to form. It's a natural scenic wonder.

Date: February 19, 2018 10:58PM

It's a bridge to nowhere. You cannot really see the end of it because it is covered in trees. Many people come here to drink and then inadvertently fall to their deaths.

Living in Kentucky is like a 24/7 party year-round for the locals. And then someone falls off the end of Natural Bridge. Usually, just the dudes get to close to the edge. Dudes with beards who own red pickup trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpMbng61DtU

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: February 18, 2018 10:54PM

This is the opening scene from Last Crusade, not Temple of Doom. TOD opens in the "Club Obi Wan" in Shanghai. In this case, Utah is standing in for "Utah". That's where Indy discovers the cross of Coronado. Good thing he found it before some Mormon who would have thrown it away as "not of the true church".

Date: February 18, 2018 11:05PM

Thanks for correcting that.

They were playing back to back tonight on cable. The Last Crusade was just beginning when TOD was ending.

LOL.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 11:07PM

The train scene was filmed in southern Colorado as was the train scene in Butch Cassidy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.