Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ScriptureStudy ( )
Date: February 17, 2018 12:14AM

Sorry for the previous unfinished post. I hit the wrong button.

Sooooo .... Being that TBMs consider themselves Christian ...
Considering using the word of Jesus in the Bible to counter the BOM.

Matthew 24:23-27

23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
25 Behold, I have told you before.
26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert (VISIT TO AMERICAS); go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; (ADAM-ONDI-AHMAN - believe it not.
27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 17, 2018 12:27AM

How about the BoM being provably false by actual investigation? The BoM myth is utterly demolished by science. No philosophy required.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2018 12:32AM

BoMormon:

Not close to the "Plain & Precious" parts of Christ's gospel Mormons claim are missing from the Bible;

Different worlds, actually

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 17, 2018 12:32AM

Sorry. The Bible has been altered and is corrupt.

No mormon puts any stock in the bible.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 17, 2018 12:44AM

I’d add that the falsity of the BoM isn’t really the problem with Mormonism. It’s a bad ideology riding on top of the basic structure of Christianity. Made up stories aren’t the problem. The cult is the problem. It’s a numbing parasite that wreaks havoc on the lives of its hosts.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2018 01:13AM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’d add that the falsity of the BoM isn’t
> really the problem with Mormonism. It’s a bad
> ideology riding on top of the basic structure of
> Christianity. Made up stories aren’t the
> problem. The cult is the problem. It’s a numbing
> parasite that wreaks havoc on the lives of its
> hosts.

Dead On,sir.

The party's over when a LDS goes thru the temple & pledges 100% of everything including their loyalty to ChurchCo.

Posted by: Dennis the Menace ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 07:31AM

Many outsiders mistake the BOM for the centrepiece of Mormonism. It is certainly the way in, but Mormonism is as much about General Conference & the current leadership, references from the Bible itself and cultural practices etc. It's important but I could just about imagine contemporary Mormonism without it.

Posted by: Dennis the Menace ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 07:27AM

This is referring to the Second Coming/End Times and as such doesn't apply to the BOM, since the visits of Jesus to the Americas in it are said to have happened in the New Testament period. Also your Adam ondi Ahman reference doesn't make sense in this context.

Missionaries from other churches have been quoting the Bible at the LDS for decades. It has had limited success.

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 10:53PM

Cue the

TBM: But what about the scripture when Jesus tells everyone he is going to the Americas to teach the people there??"

Me: And what does this scripture actually say?"

TBM: Other sheep that are 'not of this fold' have I, and to them I must go (or something like that)

Me: *rolling eyes* Oh wow. You're right... he is obviously going to the Americas to preach to the nephites how could I have been so ignorant

Posted by: Loner ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 10:56PM

It own words proves its false..

THE BOOK OF MORMON
CHAPTER 8
32 Yea, it shall come in a day when there shall be churches built up that shall say: Come unto me, and for your money you shall be forgiven of your sins.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 11:05PM

It's racist.
No other book of scriptures contains the kind of blatant racism of the Book of Mormon, other than perhaps the MOrmons own "Pearl of Great Price" combine them together and what do you get?
A God who 'curses' two whole races of people with dark or black skin as a sign that they descended from some evil pretend character in the past.
IT's delusional.
It's a an abusive cult of hero worship.
NObody but MORmONs would sing the praises of a man who raped his follower's wives and teenage daughters, while defrauding his followers by making up lame stories he gathered from the environemnt around him in the 19th Century.
Ironically he was more of a pervert egomaniac than Caligula and had his way with his followers wives and teenage daughters.
It's a sick, abusive, caste system that enables sexual abuse.
Seen it far too many times in the MORmON Crutch.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: February 22, 2018 12:05AM

I am afraid that I just check out the instant someone starts quoting scripture. Not at all convincing to me. It is like the person would first have to prove that the book of scripture in question is true, useful, and worthy.

Like if I started quoting lines from the works of Karl Marx at someone, they would probably disregard everything I said after that point because they do not revere Karl Marx.

But I guess I am going off half-cocked. I am not the target audience. The target audience is Mormons who believe in the Bible (with severe caveats, because anything they don't like in the Bible must be one of those parts that is not translated correctly.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.