Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DOGLOVER ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 05:09PM

Does anyone drive for Uber or Lyft in St George/Cedar City or know anyone who does. I am wondering how the money is there. It is me again thinking about future/retirement/relocating. I like driving and being able to make my own hours, and would think it is safer there than in Las Vegas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 05:43PM

I wouldn't want to discourage you, but here I go. I would advise against it. Only because A) You're a woman, and more vulnerable than a male driver. And B) there are some crazy ass people who are transient and criminal who pass through St George on any given day of the week.

The crime blog of the local newspaper is a testament to the druggies, drunk drivers, and criminals who get arrested every single day for things that would make a decent, law abiding citizen's skin crawl just reading about them.

There's a big underworld sex market in St George. The cops try to be on top of it by planting sting operations and getting there before the pimps do or the real johns to the prostitutes. A lot of the trade comes through Las Vegas, CO, CA,NM, northern UT, and illegals getting picked up by ICE to be deported south again. Financial crimes abound, ID theft scams, petty theft, drunks in the park, open containers in vehicles along with the usual narcotics, etc.

There seems to be more petty crime there and drug trafficking than the metropolis where I reside. Note: I still hope to retire there someday, like you. It's just be very careful what kind of business you may wind up in. If only from a physical safety POV.

That being said, if you like to drive, check out the shuttle service that drives patrons back and forth to places like Las Vegas or SLC. They are occasionally looking for drivers. You'd need a variation of your driver's license to do that, but would be more secure and stable than Uber IMO driving in that area.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 09:52PM

JMO, but Uber is a bigtime scam, and LYFT is problematic as well...

If you have a problem, there's no way to connect with a real person; they've "insulated" themselves from their "contract employees" and customer base that effectively.

That's an excellent idea about the various shuttle operations; Lewis Brothers Stages also does a thriving business and is far less expensive that commuter airlines.

Posted by: Some Name ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 06:28AM

As a kind word of advice... stay well away. They're corporate parasites and don't pay properly. They'll rip you off. Their eventual aim is to replace all drivers with automatic.cars and destroy the taxi industry.

I know people who've done this and failed. Just don't bother. Try and get work with a real taxi firm, Or upgrade your driving skills to drive small trucks.

Posted by: Nottelling ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 01:06PM

Bummer, I really liked Uber/Lyft because you can make your own hours, that was really it, that is my dream to work when I want to.......of course that is probably everyone's dream.

Posted by: my experience ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 02:02PM

As an Uber driver in Tucson, I found that my net income was below minimum wage.

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 07:13PM

Probably not enough population base in Cedar to be worth your time. Only 2 commercial flights arriving daily. I don't see many other people needing a ride anywhere. Most garages will offer you a ride somewhere if you need to leave your car for repairs.
There are a few taxi services in town. I mainly see them taking foreign students from the University for shopping and elderly people that no longer drive.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 07:20PM

Uber does cover southern Utah. (Includes Cedar City when googled.)

https://www.uber.com/cities/st-george/

http://uber-rates-cedar-city-ut-us.uber-fare-estimator.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2018 07:21PM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.