Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 12:29PM

Saying nothing at all?

This is some of the most embarrassing bit of journalism I've seen in awhile from Mormons for Mormons.

http://www.ldsliving.com/What-the-Church-Has-Said-About-Differing-Accounts-of-the-First-Vision/s/87809/

It is like a huge red flag of, "WE ARE A DANGEROUS CULT!"

So, "The Church" has said "The Essays" on this stuff but LDS Living is glossing over that kind of information in favor of a "don't worry about the details" and "just accept that many versions is good and even faith promoting" approach.

Ugh!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 12:51PM

How anyone, even a TBM, can read the various accounts of the first vision and claim they tell a consistent story is beyond my understanding.
"But your honor, I know I have told nine different conflicting versions of what I saw but isn't my latest story truly amazing?"

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 01:37PM

Your Honor, I know I testified it was a red car, then two blue cars, then a truck, then a girl on a bicycle who was a few months shy of her 15th birthday, but the *important* thing, your Honor, is that they all had wheels!

Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 01:44PM

This made me laugh

"Details differ, but basics stay the same..."

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 02:22PM

"From the Church Makes You Think Mormon Life"

MAKES You THINK? I do that on my own. Makes you wonder, question, doubt?

This is a part of a new LDS Living series where we will be highlighting the Church gospel topics essays, which provide insights into often challenging gospel topics and help Church members “seek learning, even by study and also by faith.”

SEEK LEARNING? BY STUDY? Hmmm

About these essays, lds.org states: "Recognizing that today so much information about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can be obtained from questionable and often inaccurate sources (like Mormonism?), officials of the Church began in 2013 to publish straightforward, in-depth essays on a number of topics. The purpose of these essays, which have been approved by the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, has been to gather accurate information from many different sources and publications and place it in the Gospel Topics section of LDS.org, where the material can more easily be accessed and studied by Church members and other interested parties."

I've got you an INTERESTED PARTY.

The following excerpts are from the Gospel topics essay "First Vision Accounts." Read the full essay here.

Joseph Smith recorded that God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to him in a grove of trees near his parents’ home in western New York State when he was about 14 years old. Concerned by his sins and unsure which spiritual path to follow, Joseph sought guidance by attending meetings, reading scripture, and praying. In answer, he received a heavenly manifestation. Joseph shared and documented the First Vision, as it came to be known, on multiple occasions; he wrote or assigned scribes to write four different accounts of the vision.

Joseph Smith published two accounts of the First Vision during his lifetime. The first of these, known today as Joseph Smith—History, was canonized in the Pearl of Great Price and thus became the best known account. The two unpublished accounts, recorded in Joseph Smith’s earliest autobiography and a later journal, were generally forgotten until historians working for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints rediscovered and published them in the 1960s. Since that time, these documents have been discussed repeatedly in Church magazines, in works printed by Church-owned and Church-affiliated presses, and by Latter-day Saint scholars in other venues.1 In addition to the firsthand accounts, there are also five descriptions of Joseph Smith’s vision recorded by his contemporaries.2

The various accounts of the First Vision tell a consistent story, though naturally they differ in emphasis and detail. Historians expect that when an individual retells an experience in multiple settings to different audiences over many years, each account will emphasize various aspects of the experience and contain unique details. Indeed, differences similar to those in the First Vision accounts exist in the multiple scriptural accounts of Paul’s vision on the road to Damascus and the Apostles’ experience on the Mount of Transfiguration.3 Yet despite the differences, a basic consistency remains across all the accounts of the First Vision. Some have mistakenly argued that any variation in the retelling of the story is evidence of fabrication. To the contrary, the rich historical record enables us to learn more about this remarkable event than we could if it were less well documented.

Accounts of the First Vision
Each account of the First Vision by Joseph Smith and his contemporaries has its own history and context that influenced how the event was recalled, communicated, and recorded. These accounts are discussed below.

1832 Account. The earliest known account of the First Vision, the only account written in Joseph Smith’s own hand, is found in a short, unpublished autobiography Joseph Smith produced in the second half of 1832. In the account, Joseph Smith described his consciousness of his own sins and his frustration at being unable to find a church that matched the one he had read about in the New Testament and that would lead him to redemption. He emphasized Jesus Christ’s Atonement and the personal redemption it offered. He wrote that “the Lord” appeared and forgave him of his sins. As a result of the vision, Joseph experienced joy and love, though, as he noted, he could find no one who believed his account.

HOW COULD SOMEONE believe his account? HOW COULD ANYONE believe the 'Church's' ACCOUNT$?

M@t

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 01:04PM

That is where my sister learned this tactic.

There are so many things the church says and does that fit right into this category. If someone doesn't want to "hear" they won't hear it. I read a bit of that, too, and I was like, "It doesn't matter???" Are you kidding me?

But there are things I overlooked or FORGOT ABOUT like Kolob. I completely forgot about Kolob. I don't think my mind could handle it, so I just forgot it. It was here I discovered it again. I never knew there was a song about it. My ex even sang it for me. ha ha ha I'm still shocked I buried it so deep as there is no way in hell my brain could handle it.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 01:10PM

Mark 8:18 King James Version (KJV)
18 Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.