Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 12:38PM

If I die before my mother, which I don't want to do because she has had visions all my life of that being true, can she still keep putting my name in this box according to Mormonism?

I know she can still do it, but if she told another Mormon would they think she was ill informed on the use of the temple prayer box?

I've been to the temple. The officiator holds up the box in the prayer circle and says something like "these people" but the temple is also a place for the dead. In fact, it is all about the dead, so it would follow a Mormon can put dead people's names in the temple prayer box?

If I did die before her I wouldn't care because I would be dead. But I figure she is going to put the names of her lost sheep children into that box until her dying day so I was curious if it wasn't something that thing was setup for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 12:40PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 05:53PM

She's most likely doing it now so she would probably do it if you died, for good measure. You might get someone to ask her for you. I doubt she will keep going to the temple when she gets older and more infirm. So it would stop then.

I'm sure LDS,Inc. would not mind at all if she kept putting your name in the box. I doubt anyone even reads what is written. I don't remember getting instructions on what not to have them put on those prayer role slips. She might think she was communicating with you after you were gone that way. A way of letting you know she still cares. Hey, if you died prematurely and it gave her some kind of weird comfort, well, why not let it be? No harm, no foul.

Live long and prosper!

Posted by: Anon4ThisNow ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 06:07PM

I wrote Micky Mouse's name on one slip and my sick cat's name on another. Micky is still with us, but my cat died. I guess the prayers of the faithful are not always answered. :-)

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 06:56PM

Yes, anyone can put your name on the prayer roll. Doesn't have to be a relative

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 06:57PM

Names of the dead do not go in the prayer box.

She may dead dunk you and have your membership reinstated.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 12:54PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Names of the dead do not go in the prayer box.

Thanks. I'm sure my name will go in that box as long as she can make it to the temple.

It isn't like my family knows all the details of being Mormon though they would argue that point.

My little brother when I was attending recommended I get a vasectomy because he told me his wife would often lose the urge while waiting for him to get into a condom.

While I thought it was funny I did look up if the church had any guidance. Apparently, there is no righteous reason to get one - regardless of a sweet spirit's sexual patience.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.