Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 09:50PM

Just saw official note today from Stake Clerk to SP....there are 388 single adult members on the Stake rolls. Only 46 are active members....and only 13 actually attend the singles events regularly. Urgent message of this note is,activity rate of singles in this stake is down 42 percent from just 5 years ago. Clerk was VERY concerned about this.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 09:58PM

Yikes! Is he likely to pray about it!?!

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 10:07PM

The LDS church has never quite known what to do with single adults. Everybody is supposed to be married by the time they are 21 1/2. Consequently the singles are usually left to themselves to figure out a place for themselves in the church. Not a good plan for retaining them. And often these are the best and the brightest- graduate students, young professionals, and mavericks. The church hates mavericks. I know from personal experience, and I dare say that most people on this site have had similar experiences.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 10:10PM

I used to watch Maverick ... That counts, right?

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 10:26PM

Definitely.

Does TSCC like MacGuyvers?

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 11:25PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used to watch Maverick ... That counts, right?

The TV series with James Garner or the movie with old James Garner? I never saw the series, but we watched the movie every time we visited my grandparents. Saint Maverick! Hell, she was so ugly her parents had to put a pork chop around her neck so the dog would play with her. Oh, you mean Mobile, Alabama? Hell, I been there. I bet we know some of the same people; you start. Good stuff.

I used to go to the Maple Valley stake center with my dad when he would sit in on seminary classes there; that was one of the stakes he oversaw. My parents almost built a house in Maple Valley, but the land they were looking at had high-voltage power lines running across it, and my mother nixed the idea.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 10:25PM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> And oftenthese are the best and the brightest- graduate
> students, young professionals, and mavericks. The
> church hates mavericks. I know from personal
> experience, and I dare say that most people on
> this site have had similar experiences.

I hear you on the maverick phenomenon (aside from maverick JS, maverick BY, et al). But best and brightest? Dunno about that. Typically, their intelligence and world experiences prevent joining something as boring and intellectually insulting as TSCC.

'Best' doesn't jive with WORST.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 10:27PM

I should be a maverick, but I'm an underachiever.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 11:44PM

Good for them, maybe it addition to being Mavericks they're also wise to the lies of TSCC.
Active: 12%
Regular participation: 3%

Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: March 03, 2018 12:20AM

Good point Rus.....yes, many folks are getting wise to the lies, deception, lack of financial transparency, changing history and doctrine, attempted control by the leadership, etc. Lets just hope this trend continues and accelerates...

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: March 03, 2018 04:19AM

Interesting. I grew up Snohomish and attended a YSA ward in Everett. The activity rates for YSA's have always been terrible. This was true 24 years ago when I came home off of my mission. If you didn't fit the mold of going on a mission then marrying within the first couple of years after returning, you just never really fit in.

I'm sure that it is only gotten much worse (or better, IMO) over the intervening time period. The internet is destroying the church among millennials.

I am really looking forward to the next 20 years as the boomers who sustained the church at its zenith will be six feet underground. They are really all that is keeping the cult going right now. It will die with their grandchildren.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2018 04:21AM by Strength in the Loins.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.