Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 06:19PM

There are many things that have suddenly become clearer for me. One major thing was discarding the whole literal Adam and eve story and trying really hard to make that fit in the context of such overwhelming scientific evidence to the real origin of mankind. Duh, it's so obvious now!
What really makes perfect sense to you now you've managed to discard the shackles of Mormonism?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lolwut ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 06:29PM

I totally get why my Puerto Rican mother never shared her language, or her heritage(?) with her kids! I may be darker on the outside, but on the inside, I'm all white...like a cupcake.
The More you Know! *rainbow*

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 07:33PM

My father was raised by a very strict German mother, lots of corporal punishment, a father that was good but not so involved with his son, etc. My dad enlisted in the army during WWII and upset his father very much. His dad died of a heart attack in his fifties while my dad was in the army becoming an officer. My dads mom put down my dad for not having as much education as his brother (dad had a Bachelors, his brother had a Doctorate).

My dad grew up feeling like he was never good enough for his mother and that he let down his father by running off and joining the army, then his dad dies while he's there.

My dads dad always wondered why churches don't have prophets.

So now my dad is sitting on a bench in Hawaii during the war and a guy approaches him about the church...and its prophets. He joins hook line and sinker, disowns his family and my mother ,his fiance at the time, and goes off to be a mormon.

He eventually softened up, married my mom in the Lutheran church where they grew up, and then went back to being a die hard TBM and got my mom to convert.

What is clear to me now is why the church worked for him. The church had prophets like his father asked about...he found the church that could reunite him with his dad, and gave him a father figure to worship. The church told him was special now and better than everyone else on the planet.

But the church also told him was not good enough and would never be on his own, which he already knew from his harsh upbringing by his mother. So he loved the church because it told him what he already knew about himself...that he was no good, unclean, a sinner and because it also told him he was special, a god in embryo... which is what he desparately wanted to become.

The church is a perfect set up to keep insecure people stuck in the church.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 07:37PM

...and be excited to watch him grow and learn.

Duh.

Posted by: Julia ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 07:51PM

Even in primary this was a stretch. I was stumped as to why there would be prayer and denial and prayer and approval to share Lehi pages....and then they go missing...oh, but wait! Nephi was inspired of God that they would be lost thousands of years later when their was paper and ink...so he would spend years re-writing on plates the same history his father already wrote....because these individuals thousands of years later would be punished with the record being sealed by a God bent on punishment...Joe's inability to obey and Nephi gets punished rewriting what is already there in a now sealed portion??? Did not get it!

Makes perfect sense now...hard to re-make up 116 pages exactly the same way you made them up the first time :)

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 07:53PM

Mormon Theology.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 12:40AM

An oxymoron.

;o)

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:16AM

Or is that an Oxymormon?

Posted by: wwfsmd ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:56AM

I thought that Oxymormon was the one they keep in the time-locked safe at the pharmacy.

:)

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 09:36PM

How people can be very spiritual without being Mor(m)ons.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:19PM

Life.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:36PM

That says it all right there...

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:53PM

Posted by: wwfsmd ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:56AM

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:24PM

I could never quite understand polygamy. It made no sense. Now, it makes perfect sense, Joe was a horndog.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 11:10PM

The way MORmONS were treated in Missouri.
they were invaders who used a warrant from their MORmON god as issued by Pervert Joe Smith for justification to commandeer land. they actually got off easy, if Missourians had acted like MORmONS, all the MORmONS would have been dead, see MMM.
IF Missourians would have come to Utah & did what Mormons did in Missouri, there would still be a holiday in utah celebrating the triumphant mass slaughter of the invaders.

Brigham Young's insistence on moving to the isolation of Utah where he could really carry on like the maniac tyrant that he was.

The fact that MORmONS NATURALLY suffered & DIED in the winter storms on the plains due to STUPIDITY
much more than the BS LDs version of their overwhelming faith.

The fact that Brigham Young robbed raped ruined & KILLED more MORmONs than any mob ever could have.

How fitting the name MORmON is for MORmONS!

Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 12:55AM

Common sense.

Glad2B Out

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:52AM

That when someone tells you that you HAVE to believe something or there will be consequences, you should starting asking QUESTIONS.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 03:20AM

Geez, where to begin?

The whole "we owe Jesus a debt for dying for us" thingy. First time I heard this as a child, I went "what?!" in my head.

Being born imperfect, then commanded to be perfect (thanks Christopher Hitchens for stating this simply yet so eloquently).

God vs Satin, angels vs demons. As a TBM I was so discouraged that God's team was losing big time despite assurances that they would win in the end.

Exaltation as opposed to mere Salvation. That did a huge mind job on me good! I still have PTSD from this.

God' Rewards and Punishments Scheme: nothing made sense.

Polygamy: tacitly unfair.

United Order: communism in temple garb. And the church denying that it was anything like communism.

The Book of Mormon: read only and pray; it was off limits from real study and scrutiny.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 04:27AM

Why Blacks were denied the PH - BY was a rabid racist.

Makes so much more sense than the whole "less valiant in the preexistence" caca I was told that no one seems to want to own up to now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.