Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 07:26AM

I've had minimal legal training, but as a union activist I went to several workshops where I learned that no one is required to answer questions just because someone asks them.

Do you wear garments? "Huh, you expect a lady to discuss her underwear? LOL"

I saw your car parked at the local dive? What about that? "I'm not in charge of what you think you saw, especially at a bar."

I think you've done acts deserving of excommunication. "You're claiming special powers of ESP."

Any other rude and intrusive question. "I'm not discussing that and I'll be leaving now as I have better things to do."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 07:36AM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 07:42AM

As a young impressionable Mormon we weren't taught to say no to those with authority over us. Now I can see how invasive and intrusive that was - and outright abusive of our autonomy and rights to privacy.

They really swindled us!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 07:50AM

Another good response is to simply stare at a person silently, until that person becomes uncomfortable.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 08:07AM

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 12:10PM

You're right. Because 90+% of the times, that person knows that He/She is acting inappropriately.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 10:05AM

The feeling that it is wrong somehow to refuse to answer a question, that we must be an open book to all, defend or explain, is one of the worst things I was engrained with as Mormon. I wish I could have learned to say "No" much earlier in life.

I use the incredulous stare the most like Summer suggests. Follow with a look of amusement so they don't think you give a rat's ass about their opinion.

They are looking to put you on the defensive. One of the best I have heard on this topic is that someone here said to say, "What makes you think you have the right to ask that question?"

Offense is still the best defense.

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 11:15AM

I like this one, but would add a loud, incredulous “Excuse me!” Before the "Where did you think you got the right to ask me such a question?"

I am constantly saddened and amazed at the authority that people allow others to have over them.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 11:22AM

"I am constantly saddened and amazed at the authority that people allow others to have over them."

^^^This is it. And this is why this post of Cheryl's is a particularly valuable one.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 01:57AM

We fought all the time, about everything.

When I was in high school, she began saying, "I think you're lying to me."

My favorite comeback: "You are certainly entitled to your opinion." Don't give them more material (confirmation or denial) to fight over. Just keep re-affirming their right to believe what they want. It pisses them off, no end!

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 02:27AM

What ever fascist.
I said silence.
Bull horns, siren's,flashing lights.
I won't allow you to respond.
Union. Ich
Another individual being told to be silent.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.