Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 09:32PM

Mr. Porter's religious affiliation receives some mention in the article, and a fair amount in the reader's comments as well.

I'm left with the question: "What does a wealthy, pedigreed, privileged Mormon Golden Boy have to be so angry about?"

"Rob Porter’s Charisma and Ambition Disguised Flare-ups of Anger"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/us/politics/rob-porter-white-house-resigned.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 20, 2018 09:56PM

I extracted a few reader's comments - RFM is mentioned in one:

Phyliss Dalmatian Wichita, Kansas 7 hours ago
Wife beating in SOME circles is called management of your home life. It's only a problem when publicly know. And not even then, in SOME circles. Just saying, from someone married to a Son of an old Mormon family. NOW an ex- Mormon. Hire and excuse your Own, obviously.

FlagReply 24Recommend Share this comment on Facebook

-----------------------------------

Diogenes Belmont MA 7 hours ago
Robert Porter gives Belmont, its high school, and its Mormon community a bad name. His lovely mother, Anne, died last year of metastatic breast cancer. At least, she didn't live to witness her deceitful son. She was a warm person, who embraced young women and men in Dunster House {Harvard}, which she served as co-master with her husband, Roger, for 16 years.

It is far better to have a good character and integrity than to be smart and conventionally attractive.

FlagReply 17Recommend
-------------------------------------

Harpo Toronto 8 hours ago
The story mentions that Porter is from a prominent Mormon family in Massachusetts. Until I read that, It seemed curious that Rob Porter had been employed by federal politicians from Utah prior to stepping up to the White House. On the surface, it looks like religion may have been a component of the qualifications for working with Lee and Hatch - is this normal for that sort of job? Is this a remarkable coincidence?

FlagReply 23Recommend

Thomas A. Buese Penobscot, Maine 8 hours ago
Yes & no. Mormon culture is based on a theocracy & patriarchy. Having lived in Utah as a non Mormon for 37 years, I am not surprised at all.

FlagReply 23Recommend

-------------------------------------------

Mahalo Hawaii 5 hours ago
As a former federal employee I recall one investigator remark that security clearances for Mormon job applicants were a breeze because their backgrounds tended to be straight forward and squeaky clean. The law enforcement sector has many Mormons and my experience working with them has been stellar. They are hardworking and do not proselytize at work unlike some evangelical Christians who had to be counseled to cease and desist. However there is always an exception and Porter sure is.

FlagReply 13Recommend

lechrist Southern California 55 minutes ago
Mahalo, you are correct, members of the Mormon cult on the surface appear to be squeaky clean. But you must understand, that is strictly the surface. No member of their cult is going to say anything negative in order to protect their fellow members. If one violates the Mormon trust or marries outside of it, they are kicked out and family members are no longer allowed to communicate with the violator. Fact. You can read the stories of those who dared to question or violate the tenets of Mormonism at exMormon dot org. Mr. Porter is not an exception. His behavior is quite common.

FlagReply 2Recommend

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 10:01PM by 3X.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 07:31PM

Interesting. Thanks.

Looks like others made the Mormon and Hatch connection. I'm betting Hatch knew plenty.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 12:14PM

That Hatch was in in deep doggie do denial about that stuff.

JMO, but it amounts to an almost "willful blindness" to this sort of egregious abuse.

Recall Hatch's defense of Clarence Thomas... And if you can, check out Pat Bagley's cartoon of Oral Orrin's kowtowing to Trumpf a few weeks ago...

Utah Political Update: A carpetbagger from Pennsylvania is being replaced by one from Michigan arriving here via Massachusetts...

I trust you're well...

Date: February 22, 2018 09:26AM

I wanted to highlight the first paragraph of the article:

"People who crossed paths with Rob Porter in Harvard classrooms or the hallways of Capitol Hill describe him in glowing terms: He was articulate enough to be secretary of state. Intelligent enough to be a Supreme Court justice. Driven enough to be president."

A sentiment, I'm sure, shared by the Mormon community - but wait, are we talking about Rob Porter, or Mitt Romney?

When will the next Mormon Man of Steel arise to adopt an Oval Office trajectory? (Assuming the previous gentlemen fail in the mission.)

Date: February 22, 2018 06:35PM

Judith Dushku on the Porter affair and domestic violence in the Mormon church:

"I’ve Been a Mormon for 75 Years. Here’s What I Know About the Church and Assault."

https://www.thecut.com/2018/02/rob-porter-abuse-mormon-church-assault.html

Note: there is a particularly obnoxious reader's comment to the above article - undoubtedly the work of a Mormon apologist/jackass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2018 06:44PM by 3X.

Date: March 09, 2018 05:04PM

Jennie Willoughby, the second, ex-Mrs. Porter weighs in on spousal abuse at the WaPo:

"I was married to Rob Porter. Here’s what John Kelly doesn’t get about abuse."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-was-married-to-rob-porter-heres-what-john-kelly-doesnt-get-about-abuse/2018/03/09/58bddfa2-23a5-11e8-94da-ebf9d112159c_story.html?utm_term=.c6ea8513d6bc

Date: March 09, 2018 05:35PM

A few selected reader's comments - all mention an obscure religious sect headquartered in Utah:
--------------

reader oregonxfile:

Having lived in the culture, it's understandable why Sen. Orrin Hatch was initially willing to give him a pass, largely because he was a fellow Mormon.
----

reader west of west county:

So it turns out the Mormons are just as hypocritical as the Evangelicals.
----

reader JonnyOneNote:

I hope by now that the bishop(s) and stake president(s) who didn't believe your story, have now been released and will hopefully never hold another church position .... nope, not even Ward Janitor!
----

reader local housewife:

Porter is a Mormon, and they believe that the husband is the "God" of the household.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.