Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dennis the Menace ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 01:17PM

A footnote from Wikipedia:

Quinn, D. Michael (1996). Same-Sex Dynamics among Nineteenth-Century Americans: A Mormon Example. University of Illinois Press. p. 267. ISBN 978-0252022050. Second, [The Wasp] claimed that the Prophet Joseph Smith had tolerated Bennett's homoeroticism. Third, the church newspaper even printed one apostle's implication that Joseph Smith himself had also engaged in an 'immoral act' with a man. ... On the next page of the July 1842 'Wasp,' the church newspaper described Smith's reaction to Apostle Orson Pratt's vote against a resolution defending the prophet's chastity: 'Pres. Joseph Smith spoke in reply [on July 22]—Question to Elder Pratt, "'Have you personally a knowledge of any immoral act in me toward the female sex, or in any other way?' Answer, by Elder Pratt, 'Personally, toward the female sex, I have not.'" Since this same issue of the 'Wasp' had already raised the topic of Bennett's 'buggery' and the prophet's alleged toleration of it, Smith's 'in any other way?' was an implicit challenge for Pratt to charge him with 'buggery' as well. Pratt declined to answer whether Joseph Smith had committed 'any immoral act' with someone other than a woman, but also declined to exonerate the prophet form such a charge.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 06:34PM

Do you realize that to a true believer it makes no difference. I had one tell me recently that it makes no difference what he did later Joe Jr. was the true restorer and nothing else he that he did later can contradict that.

Posted by: Related link ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 07:12PM

Posted by: Cabbie nli ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 03:55AM

Samuel W. Taylor identifies John C. Bennett as a sexual libertine and bisexual, but my take is JS was just a garden variety serial philanderer whose appetite included teenage girls...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.