Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 06:38PM

I see TBM's quoting Tommy Monson all the time on facebook but then I later find out it wasn't a tommy original. Do you think Tommy stole this quote from somewhere else. It's from preach my gospel.

"When performance is measured, performance improves. When performance is measured and reported, the rate of improvement accelerates." (Thomas S. Monson)

If you know anything about it that would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 06:59PM

I doubt that it was his, but the leadership was spraying it all over us several years ago in a televised leadership meeting that was aimed at improving the Home Teaching stats. Soon it appeared on all manner of handouts and chalkboards. It was just before the "new paradigm" buzzword was used ad Nauseum.

Posted by: openeyes ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:31PM

So then, who does the measuring? I support self-government and self measurement.

Date: October 04, 2010 08:19AM

When you report on your HomeTeaching to the EldersQ Pres, or to you HP Group Leader they report it to the Bishop.

Then it is reported back in Priesthood meeting that only a certain percentage was done.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:57PM

Haha, Google it. Be sure to use the quotes. :-)

Date: October 03, 2010 07:20PM

And it does get attributed to Monson on several sites.

Tom seems to have a lot of experience in business, including degrees in business.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 08:36PM

I know, isn't it uncanny. I was surprised at the number and types of sites and papers that quoted him as the original author. Paul Dunn makes up stories as a story teller, Tommy Monson plagiarizes business principles as a businessman.

Software engineering has been struggling with the implementation and management of the process improvement crap for twenty years. Over emphasis most often does not improve in the direction you want, it causes behavior changes that give you the numbers you are looking for. It is very tough to measure something without changing the thing you are measuring. Physicists say it is impossible.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:59PM

I heard it all the time through various jobs I've worked at.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 07:41PM

"That which is measured improves. That which is measured and reported improves exponentially."
Karl Pearson 1857-1936

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 08:13PM

I've heard it as "Pearson's law" before but Monson seems to own the quote now by changing it just a little.

Supposedly Lord Kelvin (as in the scientist) said,
"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

It is an old business adage. I'm sure there are lots of variants of it out there.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 05:10AM

Posted by: Lovechild ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 06:15AM

FIRST OF ALL: Eliminate slogans, exhortations, and targets for the work force that are essentially asking for zero defects and new levels of productivity. Such exhortations only create adversarial relationships, as the bulk of the causes of low quality and low productivity belong to the system of operations and thus lie outside the power of the work force to correct.

PAY HEED LITTLE TOMMY:

Eliminate work standards (quotas) on the factory floor. Qoutas are a very poor substitute for actual leadership.

AND HERE IS WHERE THE "CULT" MASQUERADING AS A CORPORATION MANIFESTS ITS GREATEST FAILING AS A REAL BUSINESS.

Eliminate management by objective. Eliminate management by numbers, numerical goals. Substitute leadership.

Sincerely yours,
W.E.Deming

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:35AM

HE IS talking about Viagara.

Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 11:36AM

Thanks for all the info.

Just an update on this. The reason for this is my facebook friend was asking if it would be ok to put this quote in a report for school.

So under her facebook status I posted the Pearson quote and said it would work well with her report.

I wonder what she will say when she sees this quote is not a tommy original.

Posted by: Scott ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 07:31PM

I know this is a little after the fact, but the Oct 1970 Conference Report for the LDS church (page 107) reads: "A cardinal principle of industrial management teaches: 'When performance is measured...'

So yes, Thomas Monson said it, but he was quoting the principle (most likely based on Karl Pearson's quote)

Posted by: Unbiased ( )
Date: June 02, 2014 02:38PM

Well said, Scott. It's not plagiarism when you make reference to an old business adage (of which there are several variations).

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: June 02, 2014 05:01PM

TSM has an MBA and no doubt studied performance management as part of that degree.

Presumably quoting a principle first coined by Carl Pearson, later known as Karl Pearson (1857–1936) an English academic.

Trouble is that the church likes to make it appear as though this were a 'revelation' TSM received. The quote by TSM was printed and widely distributed to stake presidents in the 1980s/90s along with a free copy of the book "7 Habits of Highly Successful People".

Posted by: Looked it up ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 03:00PM

Here's where he originally said it. http://scriptures.byu.edu/gettalk.php?ID=1811

He quoted someone else, not at all saying it was his statement. He's been misquoted from there as his statement. Oops.

Posted by: Looked it up ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 03:04PM

Although, he did say it that way. So I think the concept is certainly not his, but those words are. I take back my oops.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 03:22PM

"Numbers provide the illusion of reality." Eliot Eisner, Stanford University.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 05:53PM

Mormons and their trite wanna-be platitudes.

IE, the dumb quotes that don't have much thought behind them, other than to give Mormons the warm fuzzy's to make them perk up, "Oh it's so true."

Puke

Posted by: Actual useage ( )
Date: March 12, 2018 09:17AM

A cardinal principle of industrial management teaches: "When performance is measured, performance improves. When performance is measured and reported, the rate of improvement accelerates."

https://archive.org/details/conferencereport1970sa

Conference Report April 1970 p. 107

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.