Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 11:05AM

"Pi Day is an annual celebration of the mathematical constant π. Pi Day is observed on March 14 since 3, 1, and 4 are the first three significant digits of π. In 2009, the United States House of Representatives supported the designation of Pi Day." (Wiki)

May the Pi be with you.

;-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 12:32PM

and that was from memory.. :)

Date: March 14, 2018 02:10PM

You must have a very finely tuned memory to draw from.

I can barely remember what day of the week it is, on a good day.

Now, what does it mean (if anything?)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 02:25PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now, what does it mean (if anything?)

It precisely represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to twice its radius. As in C=2πr (or the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of the circle, as in C=πd). And the ratio of the circle's area to its radius, as in A=πr²).

And since pi is an irrational number, you might say that the ratio of a circle's diameter (or area) to its radius is irrational. The bane of all rational-thinking mathematicians...:)

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 02:35PM

Showoff!!

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 10:34AM

"It precisely represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to twice its radius. As in C=2πr (or the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of the circle, as in C=πd). And the ratio of the circle's area to its radius, as in A=πr²)."

COMMENT: It is a bit odd to use the word "precisely" as applied to a calculation involving an irrational number. However, what is interesting is that you can indeed get precise, rational, quantitative, results by use of irrational numbers in mathematical equations. For example, the area of a circle is a bounded discrete (not spatially continuous) quantity. Even more interesting is that we are not just talking abstract geometry, but the nature of the real world itself! As science becomes more and more sophisticated, new mathematical concepts are "discovered" that often fly in the face of intuition. First, it was negative numbers, then irrational numbers, then imaginary numbers, all non-intuitive (at least originally) and all playing a significant role in scientific theories that successfully describe the real world in very precise terms. In short, the real world is consistent with a mathematical description that is in some sense fundamentally "irrational." One begins to wonder whether human cognition is the problem, and not either the world itself or the mathematics that describes it. On the other hand, it was human cognition that discovered all of this in the first place.

"And since pi is an irrational number, you might say that the ratio of a circle's diameter (or area) to its radius is irrational. The bane of all rational-thinking mathematicians...:)"

COMMENT: Well said. Indeed, a paradox lurks somewhere out there! It is refreshing to me that a mathematician like yourself is so tuned-in to mathematical philosophy. So, I guess "philosophy" is not such a dirty word after all. :)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 06:33PM

Date: March 15, 2018 07:54PM

Duly granted. :-)

You earned it.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 12:35PM

Looks like one of the Hebrew letters, which also has numerical value.
Those are a lot of numbers to learn by memory. I forget my own phone number sometimes

Date: March 14, 2018 02:04PM

It does resemble the chai symbol for life.

At least my chai necklace thinks it so.

:-)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 02:22PM

Had Marie calendars chicken pie and peach pie for lunch.

Probably only pie I'll get today.

Date: March 14, 2018 03:30PM

Yum yum.

:)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 02:43PM

Pi/4 = 1/1 - ⅓ + 1/5 - 1/7 + 1/9 - 1/11 + ....

Pi^2/6 = 1/(1^2) + 1/(2^2) + 1/(3^2) + 1/(4^2) + ....

Pi/(2*4) = 1/(1*3) + 1/(5*7) + 1/(9*11) + 1/(13*15) + ...

Pi/2 = (2*2)/(1*3) * (4*4)/(3*5) * (6*6)/(5*7) * (8*8)/(7*9) * ...

From "The Pleasures of Pi,e and Other Interesting Numbers" by Y E O Adrian.

The decimal expansion of Pi is to all appearances and mathematical tests random in its order of digits. There are many (dozens? Hundreds? Thousands? More?) infinite series that calculate some variation of Pi and have an intriguing regularity.

A college calc series through MacLaurin series will give you all the tools you need to crank out a bunch of them. Or you can just look them up like I did. :) It is kind of fun to come up with one on your own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 02:44PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 03:39PM

I have always been Pi...from the day I was born...

...and I would be extremely bewildered if I was suddenly something else!

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 05:41PM

There is literally a "pi" buffet in the offices next to mine. I had a piece of banana cream.

I got a really good feeling when I ate it. How else would I know that Pi is true?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 09:34AM

I'm a round.

NOpie

M@t

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 09:42AM

Due to all the calories consumed yesterday, the new "Relaxed Fit" Pi Day is today, 3.15

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 09:47AM

Pi day is a chance for nerds to show off their nerdness by memorizing pi to a zillion decimal places.
They kicked me out of the group because I know pi only to 5 decimal places.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 06:22PM

I've made a pie graph showing how much I like bars

And a bar graph showing how much I like pies

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.