Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 02:42AM

From time to time, the State of Washington hires chaplains for prisons, IDK if their focus is conducting church services or ?

The job postings list desired qualifications, including seminary graduation AND 3 yrs (full-time?) experience in clergy... Examples are Imams, rabbi, shaman, etc.. ALSO MENTIONED is (wait for it!) LDS bishop!

HOW DOES a lds bishop qualify U ask? SO DO I!

Pay starts @ just over 4K, is anyone here going to apply???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 04:37PM

When they say "seminary," I doubt that they mean the morning indoctrination program for LDS high school students.

If the bishop has a seminary degree AND 3yrs clerical experience, then more power to him (although I pity the prisoners he "ministers" to).

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 04:47PM

nomonomo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When they say "seminary," I doubt that they mean
> the morning indoctrination program for LDS high
> school students.

Well, of course not!

That is a shame that the State of Washington allows for untrained individuals who get the title of, 'Bishop'. It is meaningless.

All this religious bunk like people need a 'leader' to show them the spiritual way? It has never worked, it certainly will not now.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 05:08PM

It represents to me there is a LDS population there or the prison system would not have included it in the job announcement.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 05:22PM

"Seminary" means something entirely different to other Christians. It is often a graduate program to which prospective ministers go after obtaining their bachelor's degrees. These programs grant degrees such as DD or Doctor of Divinity. The programs are varied in scope and usually include extensive study of the bible, theology, ancient languages, and pastoral counseling. It can also refer to the undergraduate program where the initial degree is earned.

However, I agree with Amyjo. It sounds like the prison system is well aware of what makes a Mormon bishop and is trying to meet the needs of its prisoners.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 05:39PM

And it also has no age cut off for jury duty, causing undo hardship for some seniors, who have to get a doctor's excuse.

Date: March 18, 2018 06:46PM

Don't need a Dr. excuse here.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 06:18AM

Oh, do Superior Ct. districts have their own individual regulations?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 08:17PM

The LDS bishop would probably be dealing felons who committed affinity fraud*.

*I googled the term just to make that's what I meant to say, and the third google result was "fraud affinity mormons".... :-)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 11:20PM

How would the worthiness interview go in prison?

Do you hand the bishop 10 percent of your cigarettes?

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 11:41PM

I think it's okay. A bishop meets the requirements to be ordained in the Mormon church, and they get to make the rules about who becomes their own clergy.

It does, however, go against the idea of priestcraft that the church *used* to rail against--making money from your priesthood position.

But as far as qualifications go, I don't trust any person who says they are a minister, bishop, rabbi, pope, deacon, priest, warlock, pastor, imam, prophet, shaman, etc, ect, ad nauseum, ect. Any adult who pretends they are best buddies with god is suspect.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 12:07AM

It is as Summer said, a real Seminary, like for actual Priest, real ministers, Rabbis, it’s also theological school, ( some fundamental churches don’t require degrees or experience to preach .
They go through a lot of learning and counseling training for different situations and people they may run into.
We had good LDS chaplains in the military who were different than an everyday Bishop, duties and all.
They’re trained to stay neutral, even the Catholic priest and Rabbis. I doubt ( hope that)the LDS ones throw LDS doctrine st a distressed person, suppose to be neutral
They will guide you to the correct place and person if you have a Particular one in mind

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 12:13AM

Date: March 19, 2018 01:18AM

I don't see how nowadays Bishops could be neutral after being church-broke.

What % of them have any training in counseling? Don't we agree most of them are now or former Dentists, lawyers, or accountants ?

I don't see how Morg Inc. w/could expect a professional counselor to sing the company tune contrary to a client's interests.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.