Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 11:30AM

After nearly a half century of including it in the magazine monthly publication, it will be discontinued beginning with the May issue.

"The announcement was made in the April 2018 edition. It added that future messages from the First Presidency needing to be shared will be done through the church’s various media channels, including print magazines and online resources at LDS.org."

So now members who do a Google search will find not only that, but a whole lot more! (wink wink) Are they getting lazier in their old age than their predecessors? Or did they just decide no one hangs on their every word anymore?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900013308/lds-magazine-ensign-to-discontinue-monthly-first-presidency-message.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 11:41AM

And nothing of value was lost.

Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 01:03PM

I don't blame them. I think it would be hard to come up with a worthwhile message each month year after year that contains anything new or of substance.

The messages were usually boring and repetitive with nothing new or of substance. I often had a hard time making a good home teaching lesson out of the first presidency message that wouldn't put the family to sleep. I felt like I was wasting their time because it was stuff we had all heard 100 times.

Does anyone know what is going to be the new source of the topic for home teaching messages? Surely they won't let home teachers pick their own topics. That could lead to discussions of substance that might not be faith promoting.

Date: March 20, 2018 01:26PM

Good question.

The topics are pre-arranged so not to lead members to questioning authority or doctrine. That's been discouraged for as long as I can remember. Thinking for oneself, that would be revolutionary!

TSCC thrives only insofar as it's able to keep its members on a tight leash.

Posted by: TheHumanLeague ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 01:33PM

Another "Sign" the Church is on its last legs.

Date: March 20, 2018 01:56PM

Perhaps it wishes the 'end times' come sooner than later so it can save face.

Or maybe it's trying to become more relevant as it continues bleeding members by eliminating its dead wood.

It also strikes me that the current set of leadership seems to lack the vision or the drive set by the example of their predecessors. They just don't have the same chutzpah. They've become complacent. Maybe trying to redirect their resources in more productive channels. Remember these guys are business men first and foremost.

Their time is more valuable to them than directing a herd of sheeple with a redundant monthly statement. Their City Creek boardroom is calling. It's profits before prophecizing for those dudes.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 03:31PM

The ship is listing, and the captain is silent.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 03:52PM

They should replace them with Paul Dunn stories!

Who cares if they are grossly exaggerated; members will believe almost anything!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 03:55PM

Obviously, NOTHING WORTHWHILE TO COMMUNICATE TO THE MEMBERS...

Posted by: Serge ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 04:03PM

I remember being taught in one of my religion classes at the Y that the First Presidency Message was part of the Standard Works and that the messages were to be considered scripture. I wonder if that means that the Lord is no longer communicating with his flock on a monthly basis? Will General Conference messages be the next to go?

Date: March 20, 2018 07:59PM

More edifying than reading an Ensign?

Watching a baby sloth compilation! They're captivating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYKrqd9VacY

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.