Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deb ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 08:50PM

I do have that ? eating away. Why is it that mormonism is so very different than most of the Christian churches beliefs. I do realize that each denomination, i.e. Catholic, Methodist, etc. have their individual beliefs(Presbyterians believe in the Trinity)My ? is why is mormonism and their beliefs "so out there?" @ first when taking lessons, it appeared it was as mainstream as far as worship, etc as any other faith. Then as time has gone on, I realize there there are LOTS of differences.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 09:36PM

Allow me to attempt a response to a legitimate question. First, be absolutely clear, Joseph Smith invented Mormonism. It did not come from God or the Book of Mormon or revelation. To vastly oversimplify my answer, he had to confabulate a religion that was similar enough to existing Christianity to be believable, yet different enough to be unique.

His fictional Book of Mormon was a clever (or so it seemed at the time) attempt to blend traditional Christianity with rumors and speculations about the origins of the American Indians. We now know that the book wasn't as clever as Smith thought as it fails miserably to withstand scrutiny.

His other so-called "scriptures", The Doctrine and Covenants and The Pearl of Great Price are further attempts at morphing traditional Christianity into a new model.

As for his modes of worship and various rituals, he kept those familiar so as to be appealing to new converts. The exception is his temple worship which is blatantly fashioned after the rituals of Freemasonry and follows the pattern of secret initiations and gnostic esoterica.

I hope that helps and I hope others will elaborate on what I've written.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:11PM

I like brevity, and nebularry said it so well. Mormonism has to be just recognizable enough to fool shallow minds that have been conditioned to Christianity, and yet different enough that you can't go somewhere else to get it.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:12PM

Remember that you didn't have First Vision, BOM, D&C, PGP, Temple rituals, polygamy, etc. all at once. These things evolved, one at a time.

Doctrine morphed as "revelation" dictated. Revelation dictated as the need arose to control the faithful. Each time a new declaration was made it became it little more bizarre, and now as we all know, when you make these kinds of pronouncements under the guise of inerrant prophecy, they're pretty hard to take back.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 12:52AM

Why the phrase "so called scriptures?"

They are just as valid as any others, are they not?

Date: March 30, 2011 09:38PM

Pearl of great Price?????? Is it comparable to D & c??????

Posted by: amos ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:29PM

...a revealed revision and expansion of Genesis called The Book of Moses,
...and a translated egyptian papyrus called the Book of Abraham.

Book of Abraham is self-incriminating without any research needed, because it says explicitly that the "mark of Cain" is a black skin and that Africans specifically inherited it from the black wife of Ham, to "preserve the curse in the land".

If you don't already think it's bogus based on what it says, there's all the REAL translation of the papyrus, which is egyptian alright, but not a word of Joseph Smith's translation matches.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 09:51PM

JS mixed Christian doctrine with Magic and borrowed from numerous other writings which were available in the New England libraries where he lived.

Not to mention that his cronies came from various odd-ball communities where certain beliefs were practised, such as baptism for the dead.

Mormonism = Syncretism

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 12:55AM

He also got the word of wisdom from the beliefs of the people around him during that time.

Lots of cult leaders take popular conceptions and myths and turn them into scripture as a way to lead the people on. It is incredibly interesting how similar Joseph Smith is to Jim Jones.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:26PM

Most mainstream Christian churches are Bible based churches. Mormonism was created by a man, Joseph Smith, in the 1800's who professed to be a literal prophet of God like the prophets of the Bible. Joseph Smith brought to his religion many of he things that inspired him from his time period and his life experiences. Therefore, if you see a lot of differences, its because the religion was born out of the mindset of a 19th century man posing as a prophet with a "restored" church.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:26PM

Mormonism is best understood as a generational, familial, social, traditional, cultural, religious tribe, complete with it's own unique rituals. It uses the Bible and basic Christian principles, and other scriptures (Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price). It is a Restoration Church with a savior.

For the individual:it includes how they dress, what they eat and drink, and how they spend their time and money --- every facet of their life from what they think to what they feel to what they believe, what they read, and even what movies they watch. It is a 24/7 religion complete with regulation underwear.
It's as unique as other groups such as the Amish, for instance.

Converts are often referred to as adopted members of the tribe, just as I was. One of the main functions of the Patriarchal Blessing is to identify the person's tribe (usually it's Manasseh).

It started out as a small familial tribe in New York, then moved to other states, and eventually, cemented as a tribe in isolation in Utah by Brigham Young. They even use that term from time to time.
As a convert, I was told it was my adopted tribe.
Your whole identity is as a member of the religious tribe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 10:30PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 01:26PM

I am more of a purist when it comes to the use of words. Cult has a general definition that has to do with worship or churches in general.

Cult:
Results

1. formal religious veneration : worship

2. 2 system of religious beliefs and ritual also its body of adherents

3. 3 religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious also its body of adherents

4. 4 system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator - health ∼s

5 a. 5 great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book)especially such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad. the object of such devotion. a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
Merriam Webster.

That would make all religion a cult, by dictionary definition.

I do not use the term: cult re: Mormonism anymore than I would for Lutherans, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, etc.

It's my view that the word: cult has become an emotionally loaded pejorative and used maliciously to disparage people that exmormons, in particular, have turned against. I would never do that to Mormons or Mormonism.

Destructive is a subjective opinion. Billions of people through out the history of humanity believe in religion and will continue to do so, probably only a very few think any of it is destructive.
If that was the case, they would all disappear as not useful and dangerous.

I think some people are dangerous. Most? No, of course not. However, it's wise to remember that as human beings, anything one can do so can another!

Human beings have been and will continue to play: My god is better than your god, nener nener nener!

I am also a skeptic and use critical thinking skills to evaluate how authors of books, who are accepted as some kind of authority, (in this instance), have used the word: cult to disenfranchise people who are living a different religion than they are. I don't buy into that kind of play on the gullibility of people that may be in a raw, emotional state.
I reject their authoritative manipulation of the words, just like I do anyone else who does the same thing.

Mormonism in my long experience and observation is more accurately described as a patriarchal, generational, cultural, religious tribe. In fact the word: tribe is used in their lexicon. As a convert, I was considered an adopted member of the tribe. Considering how tribes manifest, it is, in my view, the best way to understand how Mormonism creates a whole paradigm for the individual in a familial, societal, religious context aka tribe.

Leaving Mormonism is, for many, leaving their tribe in every sense of the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2011 01:28PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 11:22PM

Mormonism is also a cult. It is not about religion or honesty or goodness or truth, it is about CONTROL.

mormonism will say, do, change or create anything it needs to maintain control over its members. Doctrine is secondary.

(Again I will suggest howcultswork.com, a textbook portrait of mormonism)

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 11:40PM

Read about the characteristics of a cult, as rodolfo suggests. Once you realize that Mormonism fits the profile and is a cult rather than a religion, things will start to make sense.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 12:10AM

We Thank Thee Oh God For a Prophet- 2nd verse endings:

LDS-We doubt not the Lord or His goodness, we've proved him in days that are past. The wicked who fight against Zion shall surely be smitten at last.

RLDS-We doubt not the Lord or His goodness, we've proved him in days that are past. The Saints who will labor for Zion will surely be blessed at last.

From a book on the differences between the two groups----

Priesthood Ordination:
RLDS- After their ordination, they continue their education in order to provide a continually increasing quality of ministry. Priesthood members have the right to choose the topics and areas of study that interest them.

LDS- Once ordained, a Priesthood member is expected to serve as he is directed by his administrative leaders.

One of these two groups is totally into control.

Date: March 31, 2011 12:13AM

Let me guess, LDS is the controlling one, huh???

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 12:19AM

RLDS/Community of Christ is very much like mainstream Christianity these days.

Date: March 31, 2011 12:33AM

JoD, obviously, RLDS isn't as prominent as LDS, huh??

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 07:27AM

It's worth bearing in mind that LDS Mormonism can't seem to get it's story straight.

Is Polygamy a gospel principle, yes...erm no...erm it will be at some point.
Are Blacks bad, yes...erm no...erm they were but now they're not but they might only be slaves in heaven and we reccommend, just to be on the safe side, that white boys don't marry black girls.
Was God once a man, yes...erm no...erm I don't know that we know much about that...erm, I mean yes of course I know a lot about that.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 01:33PM

... if you claim all other religions are false, you can't go around preachin' the same stuff they preach.

Smith and his successors recognized this and, as a result, came up with their own brand of bulls**t.

Simple.

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2011 02:17PM by Timothy.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:46PM

Because it is a silly-assed cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.