Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 11:39AM

2014: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/04/statistical-report-2014?lang=eng

Converts Baptized: 296,803

2015: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/04/statistical-report-2015?lang=eng

Converts Baptized: 257,402

2016: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2017/04/statistical-report-2016?lang=eng

Converts Baptized: 240,131

2017: https://www.lds.org/church/news/2017-statistical-report-for-2018-april-general-conference?lang=eng&_r=1&cid=HP_SA-31-3-2018_dPFD_fGC_xLIDyM-6_

Converts Baptized: 233,729

It seems that since 2014, convert baptisms have been undergoing a fairly steady decline.

Now, if you go back a bit further there is a slight increase between 2010 and 2014. Ironically, during that time period, they also reached the highest level of full time missionaries ever.

You would think that the number of converts would be as dramatic of an increase as the number of missionaries, right? NOPE. Not even close.

You can see the last 20 years of stats reported (and visualized on graphs) here: https://bycommonconsent.com/2015/04/04/20-years-of-statistical-reports-visualized-ldsconf/

If I could but add my personal opinion, I would suggest that the decline is from a few reasons-- and I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

First, getting converts is getting harder. Why? The world-wide-web, for one. Also, they are still such a minority it must be hard to have the bandwagon effect on people (even if the membership is growing at a slightly higher rate than the world population [1.6 ish % as compared to 1.1% respectively]).

Second, towards the end of my mission, my second MP shifted our goals from huge baptism numbers big baptism numbers with a sprinkle of reactivations. Maybe this was more widespread of an idea than my MP's "personal revelation" for our mission?

Third, and most obviously, it's all a lie and anyone smart enough to actually look at the facts knows it. 'Nuff said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pilgrim ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 12:17PM

I wish they would also give statistics on the number of those leaving. But perhaps that could be figured out by researching last year's "membership" numbers, subtracting them from today's numbers, adding "converts" and seeing discrepancies.

Date: April 04, 2018 12:37PM

Did some math:

2017 members - 2016 members = 235,752

Converts= 233,729 BUT children of record adds another 106,771.

I'm not sure what children of record means, though. How many 8 year olds were baptized? That is the number we need to determine just how many LEFT the church.

235,752- 233,729 = 2,023

I have a hard time believing only 2,023 8 year olds were baptized last year.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 01:06PM

Presumably they count people who died after recently being active (say if their funeral involves ward leadership), but if an inactive member dies, I've heard that they are kept on the rolls until they are 110, and only then are they presumed dead and removed. Global death rate is around 8 per 1000 each year.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 02:01PM

I think children of record are those infants who have been "blessed and given a name", not the 8 y/o kids who are baptized

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 12:24PM

What is the defense for not revealing the number of resignations?

And how many resignation letters involve "children of record" younger than eight who are probably counted as members, because their names are on the "records of the church"? Does the church notate them as deductions from the total membership?

The church is a liar.

Date: April 04, 2018 01:10PM

And not just because of what they say, its what they DON'T say that rubs me the wrong way.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 04:04PM

Yes, Mormons are liars..well...equivocators....

My minor children resigned with me, and signed our letter of resignation.

The cult replied back that we "off the ROLLS".

This is different than being off the "RECORDS."

I searched the letter, and nowhere did it say we were "resigned" from the church.

The confirmation letter said that we could be easily be re-instated at any time. I assumed that meant that our records were still in existence, waiting for us to be reinstated. This goes along with the idea of keeping members for 110 years. They would have to use a lot of time-consuming slave-labor to erase each individual from their records, and subtract each from their official membership numbers. I don't see them caring enough to do that--especially if the numbers look bad for the cult. Probably, people are resigning at such a rapid rate, that TSCC couldn't keep up with it, even if they wanted to.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 04:12PM

I do not believe that TSCC checks off each individual member's name when they supposedly 110 years old, either. Do they do this once a year, as with every member born in 1908. I doubt TSCC would bother to do this, either.

I think they count you as a member for Eternity. Even if you resign, some Mormon will be baptized for you, anyway, so why bother to count?

We know the stats lie, but to what extent, we can't even imagine. What about "less-actives"? As for the "apostates", I wonder if most ex-Mormons just leave, without bothering to officially resign.

LDS, Inc. is growing in revenue, but the LDS church is rapidly bleeding-out active members.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 01:44PM

I'll offer a guess.

What has changed? The culture of the church. It used to be different, not perfect though. There were good families that seemed to be happy (before church correlation) and didn't overtly push their views and standards onto everyone. That's how my parents became members back in the 70s.

I can't imagine how the church can look even semi-attractive to non-members starting from the 90s onward!

Tired members with sad faces
Always putting church ahead of family.
Being told off with condescending voices, with smug faces
Using fear and intimidation

Just before I stopped attending, I had many nice non-member friends and acquaintances. It never occurred to me to try to bring in those pleasant folks into a terrible organization that was so poisonous and toxic! In the last ward, it was standard practice for the sisters to be so critical of each other. How was that supposed to help visitors feel welcomed?

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 05:28PM

The church did look good in the 70's. More freedom of speech. People enjoyed talking about the "mysteries", which are now banned. The Three Nephites were fun when someone mentioned them. But the General Authorities became embarrased and made everybody shut up via Correlation. We must be more like Protestants!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.