Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 08:43PM

This surely gives President Nelson enough time to consult with ghawd so that he can show up on Thursday with a plan of action, such that this matter can be resolved honorably and amicably. I would expect nothing less from a prophet of ghawd.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 09:03PM

Not negating or minimizing her suffering at all. Just wondering why no mention of, 'rape' instead of 'sexual assault'?

Again, not wishing to minimize her agony. Just that not all sexual assault is rape.

Date: April 04, 2018 09:16PM

"Horrific sexual assault" is right up there with the word "rape" when it comes to inflaming the senses...

Date: April 04, 2018 09:42PM

For certain. Just reviewing UT law and what might be the punishable offense. Truth matters, of course.

Date: April 04, 2018 09:49PM

I believe there is general agreement that a criminal prosecution is off the books. For which I'm sure the church is eternally grateful.

The big money is not in the assault, but in the cover up...

Date: April 04, 2018 10:31PM

Thank you. So, tomorrow’s announcement of a lawsuit is a civil one? She wants monetary ‘justice’?

Date: April 04, 2018 10:38PM

That has to be the case. Civil attorneys don't call the shots for the District Attorney, though I'm sure they'd like to.

If you've ever seen a Gloria Allred presentation of a new client, you'll have an idea as to what to expect. The plaintiff's case will be laid out, with the idea in mind of 'poisoning' the mind of the jury pool; not one bit of exculpatory evidence will come forth to benefit the prospective defendant.

It's business as usual, in terms of how plaintiff attorneys operate. The nice thing in this instance is that it's the church and its leaders who are going to take it in the shorts!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 11:16PM

Yes, it is a civil suit.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/04/05/woman-sues-the-lds-church-for-what-she-says-was-abuse-by-missionary-training-center-president/

"Bishop’s descriptions of himself are referenced in Denson’s lawsuit. As for the rape, she says that happened in early 1984 in a “secret room” Bishop had at the Missionary Training Center that included a small bed.

Inside the room, the lawsuit says, Bishop lead her to the bed and tried to kiss her. Denson pushed him away and tried to leave.

The complaint says Bishop pushed her onto the bed, tore open her blouse and tore the seam of her skirt. After penetrating her, the lawsuit says, Denson was able to kick free and get to the door.

Bishop said no one would believe what happened to her, the lawsuit says. “Look at you, look at me,” it quotes Bishop as saying.

Denson says she told her local church leader about what happened in 1987 or 1988. A member of the First Quorum of the Seventy later interviewed Denson, the lawsuit says, and said he would tell her the outcome. She told other church leaders in subsequent years, the lawsuit says, but nothing happened.

Much of the court complaint discusses the LDS Church — its hierarchy and how its leaders continued giving Bishop positions over young people despite concerns about his behavior.

The lawsuit claims while serving as president of the Buenos Aries Mission in 1978, Bishop confessed sins and improprieties to Robert E. Wells, who was then a general authority over the region."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 12:25AM

Boy, I sure hope the court allows aggressive discovery. This stuff needs to see the light of day.

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 11:41AM

McKenna Denson

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 03:34PM

I was at the Mental Torture Center (MTC) when Bishop was there. I hated the place and really resent just not walking out of there. It's a sad story but you know, I never felt any spirituality about the place. Maybe now we know why. So much for the brethren having discernment. They couldn't even discern they had a rapist as a MTC president. President Kimball's magic seer stone must have been broken that day.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 12:11AM

Oh how blessed my life has been to learn about the truth on President Kimball and how the gift of discernment really works. Just look at this mighty discerner of truth at https://archive.sltrib.com/images/2012/1015/naturallife_101412~12.jpg :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.