Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 12:35PM

I am in a mostly student ward here in Provo just as a heads up.

These meetings were quite interesting today. Bishop expressed his concerns about the changing quorums and even talked about a lot of his older high priest friends that are complaining about it and don't see the revelation behind it.

Sounds like they're bummed that third hour won't be conspiracy theories, racism, and long bragging moments about grandkids anymore.

Not much else was said about that.

With regards to "ministering," the Bishop was also unimpressed and actually wanted to "keep things how they are" in our ward to the point where he organized the new special meeting for RS presidency combined with EQ presidency but said that we shouldn't change anything unless "inspired" to do so.

Seems like he's a little stuck in his ways. One of his counselors even had to let him know that visiting/home teaching coordinators and report collectors were no longer going to be a calling and he fought it until the high councilman said something about getting rid of those callings.

Then, not surprisingly, bishop made some sexist joke about the EQ president being in charge of those new ministering meetings because the RS president was incapable or something like that.

3 more weeks and I'm outta here!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 01:02PM

I'm sure if HPs primarily get called to lead this group Elders will either push harder to become HPs in getting greater callings or be pushed out more.

The amount of older men "mentoring" younger ones is probably not going to happen like they think it will.

At least this is one thing LDS Corp has done for its older male members - given them a voice with the young bucks.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 07:05PM

Just the sound of it "older men mentoring younger priesthood" sounds a little creepy. Will this be another opportunity for inappropriate meetings of male adults being alone with young boys? If I were a father and some assigned man in my ward was mentoring my young son I would not be happy about that.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 11:28PM

“Mentoring”... yeah, that’s it...

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 10, 2018 01:05AM

The Mentor

Roger and Trisha Funles were seated in their regular pew at the back of the chapel. Trisha hated sacrament meeting, but knew better than to say so. She’d been conditioned by thirty years of marriage to Roger. You didn’t go negative on the church. It was his identity. Roger was a High Priest first and everything else second. Trisha knew that his first love was really money, but she couldn’t say that either. Their marriage lived or died on secrecy.

They’d spent decades convincing Trisha’s mother, Donna, that their children were rotten, so that the kids wouldn’t be named in her will. Mom had money, and Roger had said that it would be a shame for it to end up in irresponsible hands. Trisha felt a little odd about conspiring against her own children, but Roger had a habit of getting his way. When she’d withheld sex from him, he’d pushed her off the bed with his feet at her back. She’d felt the sharp slap of his hand on her face as well. The kids were adults now anyway, and they ought to be able to fend for themselves.

An eight-year-old boy named Mikey approached Roger. “Brother Funles?” he said, “Are you having dinner with us again?” Roger told the boy he’d talk to him later. “What did he mean,” Trisha asked Roger, “about having dinner?” Roger explained that he had been mentoring the boy, because Mikey had no father. Trisha knew Mikey’s mother from Relief Society meetings. The woman was divorced and very attractive. Roger had never mentioned having dinner with her and her son. “What do you mean by mentoring?” Trisha wanted to know.

“I’ve given the boy some attention and encouragement,” said Roger. “A child needs someone to look after his interests. Mikey doesn’t have a man in his life since his father lost his testimony and failed in his marriage.” Trisha didn’t like the thought of Roger sitting at the dinner table with Mikey’s young mother, but there were limits to what she could complain about. And those limits were strictly enforced.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 04:47PM

Somebody needs to inform your bishop that once the brethren have spoken, the inspiring has been done.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.