Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 12:11PM

I recently did a lot of driving through Kentucky and Tennessee. Every town I went through, I didn't happen to notice any LDS church buildings. It was great! In CA they are everywhere (at least where I live). Are those states not very 'Mo'?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Notelling ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 12:17PM

I don't know, probably not much, but they probably are very Protestant Christian and most of those aren't open to other flavors.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 01:01PM

How come you did not stop to visit us? LOL TN and KY have some strong cultural similarities to Utah with the large number of religious fundamentalists. An example: About 3 years ago a state legislator wanted to ban youth sports on Sundays. Church is part of daily life here. The majority of social life centers around a church membership. In many cases, just the names and terminology used are different that what you may experience in Utah. As we approach another election cycle, those running for office make certain you are aware they are Christian. You just make the best of it and find like minded folks as yourself and get along. Cost of living is very low here. The larger cities have become more diverse.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 01:03PM

My kid is checking out Middle Tennessee State Aviation school. She spent last night on lower Broadway. Thought Nashville was pretty cool.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 01:16PM

Nashville is one of the fastest growing areas of the US. Yes, it is different. It is fun to visit there. I was talking more of the smaller cities and rural areas. There is no one description of TN.

Posted by: Sweets ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 01:55PM

I live in Nashville. The city is being overrun with new people moving here. Rent has more than doubled. Traffic has become brutal. As far as religion, not many Mormon chapels but there are a few. LDS is in a minority and they are just barely tolerated. A group I belonged to asked their Mormon families to not attend since they were not “Christian.” I quit this group because I cannot deal with intolerance, even of a religion that is a cult. People here in Nashville are nice but you also do find that there is a level of intolerance here got anyone different from their ideas of correctness. Not so much in the city but very evident in the rural areas. I am the lone liberal in a sea of Trump supporters in my neighborhood and I keep my opinions to myself because my neighbors are nice people but I don’t want to stir the pot. Reason I live here? I am close to my grandkids otherwise I’d move in a heartbeat to NC.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 02:22PM

"There is no one description of TN."

No, there isn't. When I lived in the South, I cover Memphis and eastern Arkansas. Co- workerd lived in Jackson TH. Also vacationed in the Smokeys and went to a few UT games in Knoxville. Spent a week a year in business meetings in Nashville in the mid-90's. Memphis and Nashville might as well be in different states. People were nice and girls were gorgeous.
Not sure if TN is like MS or AL where Southern Baptists dominate. They didn't have much use for Presbyterians or Catholics, much less mormons.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 08:15PM

Oh that's right (EricK) you are in TN! We spent our spring break in the Smokies...it was beautiful. :-)

I think that notion of 'no one description' goes for any state. I love learning about other states because we will probably relocate in a few years. Doing my research in the meantime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2018 08:16PM by bluebutterfly.

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 02:11PM

I live in rural Kentucky. The closest town has an LDS branch. There are lots of other churches including 17 Southern Baptist churches, two Catholic, and others too numerous to include. On a typical Sunday there are 10-20 cars at the LDS church lot.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 01:04PM

LOVE TN and Kentucky. Especially Somerset and the lake.

Such a beautiful area to visit.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 08:14PM

There is a sizeable LDS presense around the major cities with 2 temples near Memphis and Nashville. I live in the sticks where its more sparse and am surprised by all the new move ins .

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 10:02PM

East of the MoZone, the percentage of Mormons drops to 3 percent or lower. Most of the eastern states are about 1 percent.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 10:16AM

bluebutterfly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently did a lot of driving through Ky. and Tn. Every town I went through, I didn't happen to notice any LDS church buildings.
> It was great! In CA they are everywhere (at least where I live). Are those states not very 'Mo'?

No

BUT Mo., right next do', is. lol

M@t

Posted by: stellam ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 10:28AM

Come to Louisville! We have a temple and a mission here but I rarely see the mishies out and about. It’s a highly diverse town and much less Bible-belty than other southern cities. Great place to live.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 04:05PM

I worked for awhile in western North Carolina.

Directions from one spot to another was given in "Churches".

Go down a piece to the third church on the right, turn toward the one on the hill, then go a ways until the church next to the 7-11 and then turn to where you wanted to be.

Seemed a bit vague, but it got me there.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 06:26PM

The East Coast as a whole is not very Mo. There's a small concentration around Washington, D.C., but that's about it.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 08:15PM

I think the lowest percentage of LDS in the lowest 48 is North Dakota. Friends who live there tell me the Branch nearest them is about 55 miles away. Wards in the bigger cities - if you can call them that in a State with fewer than 800,000 folks big enough for real Cities.

A lot of Lutherans and Catholics but from what friends say they are not pushy on religion and recruiting.

Posted by: Hoosier Pete ( )
Date: April 10, 2018 09:51AM

Kentucky and Tennessee are really no different than any other state east of the Rockies. You can find the church but you have to look for it. In Kentucky the church is probably strongest (if you can call it that) in Louisville, Lexington and Bowling Green. There is a temple outside of Louisville but its butt ugly and looks like a mausoleum.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 10, 2018 01:35PM

Over here in the blue corner of Tennessee it's pretty much Mo-free. There are 2 stakes that take in a very big area, including parts of 2 other states, a couple of stake-center sized buildings--one with a half torn-down temple in the back parking lot. But there is a big enough population that they are just guppies in the big sea of diversity. But then, this area is not what you think of when you think of Tennessee. It's Blues City, not a lot of country music in its soul. That's the way I like it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.