Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 10, 2018 05:52PM

Angels!

I heard the tale. I tried to believe it. But it was Hell. I had elders pranking each other, yelling and screaming down the halls, creating steam baths with sheets in the showers, constant name calling and severe backbiting and drama.

I was peer pressured into doing a whole bunch of Washings and Anointings which really screwed with my head as a childhood victim of sexual abuse. Those guys LOVED doing them. I HATED them.

It was one of the worse experiences of my life. I'm not a sports guy but I could hold my own defensively in volleyball. So that is all I did for exercise time. I was targeted by volleyball jerks who thought I was a weak link and so they always went after my position and so much so I was spiked in the head sometimes with one time breaking my glasses on the bridge of my nose.

I had to get new ones and so I got them in Center Street in Provo. My crazy TBM comp refused to go into a record store there and hassled me for doing so.

The only guy I liked put a poster of The Pixies up in the dorm and sometimes wore tights when we were hanging out on our bunk beds. It was surreal. I didn't see any angels but plenty of pizza and boxes being passed over the fence.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 01:51AM

The LTM was a Righteous Frat House!

Date: April 11, 2018 11:15AM

I've never been to a frat house but this was true enough for my experiences - Righteous Frat House!

Young men clustered together with nothing much to do but memorize vocabulary from another language in a religious context.

It was silly propitious foreign language indoctrination with forced spirituality and adolescent behavior.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 11:48AM

Sounds a lot like the girls dorms at BYU--without the washings and anointings.

Competitiveness, jealousy, name-calling, back-biting, screaming, pranks, ratting each other out, sneaking out of the dorm at night, etc.

There were no doors on the showers.

A group of bulimic girls formed a clique, and they would run around the baseball field every night, and vomit on home plate. They though they were cool. They were angry at me and my friends, because we could eat whatever we wanted (we were athletic) and date whomever we wanted. They couldn't cope with our self-confidence and security. They actually teased us for going to the library and studying so much. We out-of-staters didn't get along well with the Utahns. We thought they were fanatically religious and immoral at the same time--how was that possible--but they really were. It was best to just ignore the nastiness. At least we had the right to choose our own companions! I sympathize with missionaries!

Date: April 11, 2018 12:05PM

CTR(in your head) and DTW(do the wrong.)

Sounds about right.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 12:30PM

I wasn't well prepared for the MTC. It was very foreign to me as I was the missionary "pioneer" in my family. I wasn't keen on the idea of wearing a suit 6 and a half days. I had a companion that hated my guts except he wouldn't say anything to me. Pure passive-aggression behavior!

I didn't really speak up about our non-existent communication for a couple weeks until our assigned branch president came down hard on my alleged unrighteousness. During the ppi, I was accused of breaking so many MTC rules. It was my so called companion that would leave the dorm by himself to go everywhere. Honestly, he could have went AWOL from the MTC and I wouldn't have known about it until the evening.

There were many forms of hazing and pranking in the dorms. I don't remember any adult chaperones actively monitoring the living spaces. One of the rowdy games that the "mature" representatives of Christ involved kicking the people from behind as they walked. This was non-stop. I was never a victim of this horse-play, but I had gravy dumped twice on the back of my suit while eating Sunday dinner.

Horrible place!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2018 12:31PM by messygoop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.