Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 01:49PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 03:15PM

I followed the story of the elder who died with a plastic bag over his head, in the Veracurz mission, Peter Allen Maughen. His parents were divorced and lived in WA (mom) and Montana, IIRC...

It bugs the crap out of me that the church never commented on the passing of Elder Maughen. His companion was detained because of the suspicious circumstances of his death, and I never could find a follow up story on that issue.

In reviewing this story on Google, I found a link to a post about SABRA being responsible for his death, because he, Maughan, was questioning the church and its missionary methods... Make of it what you will: https://twittercorruption.wordpress.com/2016/05/31/7919/

I wanted very much to find out if his parents stayed faithful to the church, but never could. Anyone know?

Another story I followed was of the sister missionary who was standing by the side of a road in Australia (ETA the rest!) taking a photo of a rainbow. A car left the road, hit her and ended up on top of her. Ghawd had arranged for a guy across the street to own a big car jack, and to be home at the time, so he raced across the street and jacked the car up. She spend months in the hospital, in both Australia and in Hawaii. She and her parents never waivered in their faith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2018 03:20PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 03:27PM

Friends with a family who lost a son due to heart problems on his mission. I was a young new mother, new to activity in the church and I was filled with all sorts of questions about the MormonCult.

The family had the attitude that they were glad he was in the service of his God if this had to happen. I marveled at the time their composure and outlook.

They did stay active in the cult while my husband and I drifted away, no longer attending a Mormon study group with them.

Posted by: noeffx ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 04:41PM

My Parents were in a horrible car accident while serving a senior couples mission (or whatever it is called). Although my mom walked away with only minor injuries, my dad was in a coma for months and suffered a ton of brain damage and was permanently handicapped. He did live, but life is very hard for both of my parents due to his handicaps. At the time this happened, I was a confused and suspicious but faithful member. I took it harder than anyone else in my family and can honestly say that it broke a few sturdy shelves in my closet. My family/children prayed every night for they're safety. They were spreading the gospel. I was so mad at god! God was the one Person that I had never doubted before. Long story short, the rest of my family marveled at the miracle of him living through it. My mom's faith has not wavered even though the recovery process for my dad has put her through hell and back and her life will never be the same. She is an amazing woman and I love her with all of my heart. But I can not stand the "its a miracle" kind of response for a tragic event. "hey, what else isin that rabbit hole?"

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 10:40PM

Just wanted to let you know my heart goes out to you. I'm very sorry for your family's tragedy and the crazy response to it which is so unhelpful.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 04:44PM

I wonder about the two missionaries who were from Idaho (brother and sister). Their mom, dad, and two siblings died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Different situation, but still wonder. If I remember right, one sibling came home for the funeral and another did not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2018 04:44PM by abby.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 05:17PM

How about the James Wright family. Their daughter/ sister/ sibling Brenda Wright Lafferty as well as their infant grand daughter /niece Erica Lafferty was murdered / executed according to the MORmON temple penalties by Ron and Dan Lafferty, and they still adamantly believe in MORmONISM. Check out the comments for the video !!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0wFt1r3zYg

Guess just Guess who this is !!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsZLZmCtwT4 and there he is advocating attending the MORmON temple..... because it is so "meaningful".

some people are so damn dumb /MORmONIC that they just can not learn their lesson !!!!

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 10:36PM

Thank you, smirkorama. I had not heard of this story before. So many Mormons effectively say, 'That's not the true LDS' when TBMs do stuff that they don't like.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 04:16PM

carameldreams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you, smirkorama.

> I had not heard of this
> story before.

> LD$ Inc -the people who taught Ron Lafferty and Dan Lafferty
about the prime suitability of Using throat slashing on dissenters ( see the BOM, See the pre 1990 MORmON temple endowment), was hoping that you would NEVER hear about it.

> So many Mormons effectively say,
> 'That's not the true LDS' when TBMs do stuff that
> they don't like.

Ron and Dan were very serious about emulating MORmON founder Joseph Smith as closely as possible.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 04:33PM

I had a roommate at BYU whose oldest brother was killed on a mission in the 1970s. If I remember correctly, President Kimball called the family to tell them. My roommate and her other brother both went on missions in the 80s despite that horrible experience.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 04:44PM

Another horrible mission memory... Three elders in my mission were involved in a head-on collision. One of the elders lost an eye. If I remember correctly, his family were nonmembers. My mission president was over the moon excited that the parents of the elder were so impressed by the general authorities who visited with them and showed such concern for him. He was euphoric. I have no idea if the elder stayed active.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.