Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 10, 2018 11:18PM

For over a century the office of 70 sat nestled between elder and high priest. In theory they were supposed to be sta Ljubljana e missionaries and help mission work in the stakes. Truth be told I don't know anyone that really wanted to be one.

Suddenly one day the eternal and everlasting order of the priesthood changed.

No longer was there 70 quorums in each ward. The 70s were promoted for the most part to high priests, though a few chose to return to the elders.

Part 2 was the appearance of 70 between apostle and high priest and the coveted title of general authority.

So now two questions......

First were any of you 70s?

Second.... some 70 positions are temporary. Once released will these 70s return home to be.....elders?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 10, 2018 11:41PM

I'm gonna be 70 in a couple months....does that count?...sorry...my bad...couldn't resist...

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 10, 2018 11:43PM

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 12:18AM

I will be in ten years!

So much for new and everlasting priesthood covenants.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 12:44AM

My husband Leon (before he passed) was a 70 for many years. When they were discontinued, he became a High Priest. When that group became very small in our area, those few men met with the Elders.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 01:09AM

My brother was a Seventy (now a High Priest).

Back in the day, the Seventies were an important group in the church. One of their main functions was to operate the Seventies' Bookstores. I don't know many details of that program, but it seems that every region of the church had one.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks so ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 02:36AM

I streaked once during the '70's, does that count?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 11:49AM

My streaking happened in the 60's too...waaaaay ahead of the game.

Posted by: pipesmokingbunny ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 03:01AM

Im also pretty sure I read the other day the office of High Priest is no longer a thing. It's only Elders. Also Im a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator you should check out my dank revelation I dropped today (cause I was bored) called "Official Declaration 3", since they refuse to do it themselves. You can find it on the main page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2018 03:01AM by pipesmokingbunny.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 11:53AM

I'm a 70 right now hahaha even i laughed when i typed that.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 12:17PM

Hah!

Seriously, what is a "Seventy"?

A former family friend is a Mormon Seventy, and everyone thinks he is one step below being an Apostle, or Twelve. He had been a stake president and mission president. When he was made a Seventy, he was in the Ensign, I think, with a photo of him and his wife, so it must be a big deal.

What good timing for our former friend. He is a prominent, WEALTHY BUSINESS MAN in the state of Florida, having something to do with land development. Is it a coincidence that LDS.,Inc. is buying and developing huge tracts of land in Florida?

Our former bishop was made a Seventy, also. He is one of the most phony, corrupt, weasel-like, womanizer men I have ever known in my life.

Are Seventies given the second-anointing?

Date: April 11, 2018 06:10PM

Today a 70 is a high ranking person in the church.

But all those years ago. It was merely an office between elder and high priest that most folks skipped.

Today the high priests are no longer an office for the elderly.

I am betting 30 years from now most men will never be ordained high priests.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 05:51PM

I quit the Mormon Church in the 70s. Racist , judgemental and boring being the main reasons . I guess they have given up on me . Did not even get the Merry Christmas and don't forget tithing settlement letter last year . I'm considering resignation but a bit afraid that might initiate contact with them again.

Posted by: Benvolio ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 05:59PM

In the mid-seventies, I was an EQP. I moved out of the ward to a larger house, and was released. They made me a seventy as a sort of consolation prize. After a year or two I went onto the High Council. The seventies' group never really seemed to know what to do.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 06:05PM

If you think about the history of the 70s, you'll see the lack of revelation in action.

I can't equate 'fumbling around' with 'revelation from ghawd'.

Posted by: travis ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 12:43AM

I was once upon a time. I was an elders quorum president about six months after I completed my mission. I had been home six months so I was married. No surprise, right?

They called me in one day & said I was needed as a 70. I got to attend a solemn assembly & everything.

We visited other wards in the stake & attempted to help them with their missionary work. If there was full-time missionaries in the particular ward we met with them.

As with everything in tssc, it was tedious & boring.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 02:54AM

This is where my handle comes from.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 08:24PM

My MORmON Male parent/ resident MORmON enforcement agent was a 70. He relished that calling/ priesthood office because he saw it as a stepping stone to the High Priests Quorum that he was going to be in .....just as soon as he became Bishop, which was the calling that he was totally lusting after.

His chances of actually becoming bishop probably were not very good, but he was damn sure making a run for it. He converted to MORmONISM to marry his MORmON sweetheart, and the snotty uppity local MORmONS NEVER forgave him for that !!! especially the prominent MORmON family that taught him the missionary lessons !!! Then he totally messed up and blew a hole in the roof of his pick up truck with his new shot gun. He had just barely had a new paint job put on the pick up. It seems unrelated to religion and MORmONISM, however there was no way that he was going to be made ward bishop after an epic blunder like that! I mean MORmONS got their standards to uphold. They can overlook whatever Joe SMith did with (raping) teen age girls, but NOT other stupid ass stuff.

When local 70's were done away with, he ended up in HPs.

After seeing first hand my male parent's response to that imaginary promotion of being made 70 and then HP, I will stick with what I said. Eliminating vanity positions like EQ Pres and 70' pres along with those quorums is going to be a big mistake for THE (MORmON) Church, even if they could not fill all of the positions in some areas. They needed to keep those rungs in their leadership derby ladders as incentives, even if only mostly imaginary. LD$ Inc should have just faked it (something that they are good at any way) as needed, instead of dumping the quorum and positions church wide due to the refusal to consolidate wards and admit that they are shrinking in size.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 11:31PM

I'd appreciate somebody telling me just what a "70" is, or was, and when the position was discontinued. I was under the impression that it was the same as a General Authority. Are some seventies GA's, but others are not?

Date: April 12, 2018 11:47PM

Joseph established the 70s as an office between elder and high priest. It was NOT a general authority position.

Every stake for about 150 years had a group of men called 70s that supposedly did missionary work in their stake.

Then the church reformed the priesthood kind of like they did recently.

First they made a whole lot of folks emeritus general authorities. Basically retiring them.

Then they eliminated the office if patriarch to the church and put all stake patriarchs under the supervision of the stake president.

Then they eliminated the office of a 70 from the stakes. At that point the average member that was a 70 was either ordained a high priest or returned to the elders. All local 70 positions were done away with.

Next the reestablished the first quorum of the 70 as a position between apostle and high priest. At that point the 70s became general authorities.

If you came into Mormonism around the late 80s or early 90s you probably never experienced having non general authority 70s in your ward.

Posted by: False Doctrine ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 09:42PM

Stake Quorum of the 70 is what you are referring to that was done away with in about 1984-ish. I was such a 70 at a very young age.
It was a Stake Quorum with groups in each ward, much like the recently revamped High Priests groups were. The group leader was basically what is now the Ward Mission Leader, and the quorum function was stake missionary work. The group leaders together constituted the Presidency of the Stake Quorum of the 70.

Posted by: canuck guy ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 12:41PM

The elimination of stake 70s quorums was announced by President Benson at the end of his talk in the Priesthood session of General Conference in October 1986. One of my roommates while I was in undergrad was a stake 70. He was not advanced to the office of high priest, and frankly I doubt that he ever has been given that he has never married (I believe at one time he would have been known as a "confirmed bachelor", if you know what I mean).

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 02:44PM

I am a 70. No I don't mean some priesthood office. Just how I feel. I have lived a blessed live that has been totally managed by the Correlation department's glorious program to believe that my lot in life is to suffer numerous trials/tribulations and be completely obedient to the holy middlemen that the Lord appoints to lead our Ward/Stake. Thus through the joys of numerous assignments, such as cleaning chapel toilets, I have been blessed to age so much faster than I would if I were to engage in iniquities like those pesky exmormons do. I would question the sanity of such a path in life I've taken but that would be impossible to do as I am fully indoctrinated to be completely obedient, to eschew all Doubts, and to fully accept that the definition of Truth is whatever these sacred middlemen say behind closed doors.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.