Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 11:43AM

Recently saw Amorer singing Nimrod taken from Elgar's variations and sung at a recent Festival of Remembrance. Simply stunning and beautiful. Can anyone tell me if they have recorded this in the UK? As an ex-pat it is quite an emotional piece of music and their version is stunning. Those who saw the movie Dunkirk might recognize it as Zimmer incorporated it into his theme.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JocknotBrit ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 11:50AM

I keep on forgetting that you English are never "migrants", but "expats" when you go abroad or move to the Celtic countries!

I've also never understood the sentimentality surrounding Dunkirk, which was actually a retreat, and left behind whole battalions of Scottish soldiers to languish in Nazi camps for the duration of WWII. But hey, they're Scottish, so they don't count, right?

I haven't seen this version, but it must be a pretty major arrangement since it is an instrumental piece... and probably a bigger "Enigma variation" than the original.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 01:42PM

Dunkirk was indeed a retreat but also a brilliantly improvised evacuation. I am sure that many of the thousands of English born and French soldiers also captured there had feelings of being left behind and sacrificed. I know the one I worked with for years harbored that resentment. Personally I rarely use the term ex-pat but felt it fit the post I was making for some reason. Sorry if you feel picked on but as they say, Scotland forever, but England for a wee bit longer.

Posted by: YEE HAA ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 05:27AM

JocknotBrit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I keep on forgetting that you English are never
> "migrants", but "expats" when you go abroad or
> move to the Celtic countries!
>
> I've also never understood the sentimentality
> surrounding Dunkirk, which was actually a retreat,
> and left behind whole battalions of Scottish
> soldiers to languish in Nazi camps for the
> duration of WWII. But hey, they're Scottish, so
> they don't count, right?
>
> I haven't seen this version, but it must be a
> pretty major arrangement since it is an
> instrumental piece... and probably a bigger
> "Enigma variation" than

Nationalist propaganda in a Mormon site - award winning!!!

But it helps if you get your facts straight instead of peddling your victimisation. The 51 was not located with the main body of the BEF - having been under direct French command for some months. They joined over 40,000 British POWs - from all over the U.K. The 51st joined many men dropped in the sh*te by a crumbling allied front line. The British Army fought a textbook fighting withdrawal against overwhelming odds.

You should save your victimisation routine and blame the Nazis who were the invading nation.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 04:07AM

This Brit abroad is DEFINITELY a migrant, not an expat, as I have never had any intention of returning to the UK

Tom in Paris

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 12:34PM

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 01:45PM

Yes lilburne. Beautifully performed as the drum head altar is constructed and the book with all the names of the dead is placed on top. I am hopeful of finding a recording I can buy.

Posted by: kizzie ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 07:57AM

Beautiful piece of music,have selected it for my funeral,so poignant and sentimental.

My Uncle and Father-in-Law were both at Dunkirk,the bravery of the rescuers was second to none,my Uncle carried his friend on his back waist deep in the water while trying to keep his weapon dry,his friend never made it,Father-in -Law with the 51st Highlanders,made it back and was at D-Day.

Uncle was in the Durham Light Infantry,sadly he died in 1952 from TB.

Date: April 14, 2018 08:24PM

Few pieces of music quite compare in nostalgia for the country of my birth. Elgar captured the spirit of Britain with his music.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 08:00PM

In 1968 we travelled to France on a ferry and there was a shiny brass plaque that said something to the effect of:- "This vessel was one of the "Little Ships" which helped evacuate Allied Troops from Dunkirk in 1940."

Date: April 14, 2018 08:22PM

I read somewhere there are plans to do a "little ships" reenactment using some of the originals in 2020, the 80th anniversary.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.