Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 05:49PM

Here is an almost 100 year old meme.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/comic-strip-expectation-versus-reality-meme-2018-4

It is still relevant today.

Mormonism is not as relevant as it was before The Civil War, trains, planes, and automobiles.

IT is basically a Puritanical, authoritarian, millenarian, Manifest Destiny, barbarically misogynist, World-wide Jesus unisex Freemasonry, American Revivalist as Primitive Church Restoration, early Prosperity Gospel, priesthood Ponzi scheme, temperance totalitarian economic communalism meme.

In my opinion, its longevity has more to do with how the sum of its parts is greater than its parts appeal. I think now even the sum of its parts is losing appeal in the Developed World. I think the Developing World is also with the rise of The Internet seeing the light?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 06:17PM

I agree with everything you've said here, Elder Berry.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 06:47PM

Good points.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 12:07PM

Isn't it tragic and devastatingly sad that a meme can have such an influence over the same course of time where a relevant meme and positive meme has such contemporary relevance?

An Antebellum meme involved in becoming a god (Do they teach that still?) was so much more powerful than a self-deprecating meme pointing out human vanity. It took almost 100 years and The Internet to show us how close we were to the "developed" people in the 1920s during which Mormonism was growing stronger and stronger. The amounts of destroyed lives by this meme and people working to bolster the idea of becoming a god in The Developed World compared to simple self deprecating self reflection.

We humans are so focused on seeing the unreality (god-like beauty) in the mirror as opposed to the reality (mere humanity.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.