Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus of Orem ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 02:29PM

For a quarter of a century, Russ Nelson was a surgeon at LDS Hospital in SLC, starting sometime in the late 1950s (probably around 1959, as he was called as a GA in 1984).

"In 1956, Dr. Russell Nelson, now an apostle in The Quorum of the Twelve of the LDS Church, performed the region's first open-heart surgery using the new bypass machine at what was then Salt Lake General Hospital. Shortly after, he moved his work up to LDS Hospital for the next 25 years' research and pioneering efforts. Today, more heart surgeries are performed at LDS Hospital than any other in the region."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/600102828/Happy-100th-to-LDS-Hospital.html

During that time, the hospital where he worked had a policy of segregating donated blood based on racial background, because to keep them together would in the church's view violate its one-drop rule and pollute those pure white mormon bloodstreams:

"In 1953, a First Presidency secretary also informed a white Mormon about the less-obvious extent of Utah's racial segregation: 'The L.D.S. Hospital here in Salt Lake City has a blood bank which does not contain any colored blood.' According to presidency counselor J. Reuben Clark, this policy of segregating African-American blood from the blood donated by so-called 'white people' was intended 'to protect the purity of the blood streams of the people of this Church.'"
– D. Michael Quinn, "Prelude to the National 'Defense of Marriage' Campaign: Civil Discrimination Against Feared or Despised Minorities," subheading "Utah Mormon Discrimination against Blacks," p. 31

https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/Dialogue_V33N03_13.pdf

Isn't it just marvelous, and oh so special, that Doctor Russ never had to worry his valiant white head about using any of that cursed "black blood"? What a relief that must have been for him! The foresight of the prophets and apostles, they think of everything!

And guess which hospital hosted Spencer Kimball's heart surgery at the hands of Doc Russ? You guessed it, LDS Hospital. After all, the prophet of Mormon God can't chance any of that icky tainted blood getting to him, right? I mean, he could have lost all his magical priesthood powers! Oh the humanity!

"Elder Delbert L. Stapley… was in LDS Hospital…
"President Spencer W. Kimball, acting president of the Council of the Twelve, entered the same hospital Monday after conference to undergo open-heart surgery Wednesday [April 12]."
– Church News, April 15, 1972, p. 3

And now, Prez Russ has gone to Africa, the very source of the one-drop exclusion rule under which he personally (and literally) operated most of his career, in order to demand their money – and, incidentally, to disparage the Africans' own ideas of "traditional marriage."

The mormon cult crapshow never ends.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 02:47PM

Yep - good word - nauseating.

Get a load of what Nelson is telling these poor Africans - get rid of your dowry because ChurchCo needs your tithing! ChurchCo is building a temple for you and you must be worthy to marry for time and all eternity - vomit! How in the hell is ChurchCo going to end poverty in Africa?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900016023/dowry-is-not-the-lords-way-in-kenya-lds-president-nelson-says-tithing-breaks-poverty-cycle.html

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 03:03PM

About that "one drop rule" [and P.S. for those who don't already know, I come from a family where the maternal side is/was totally racist to the core]:

I have become increasingly fascinated with the videos on YouTube which people submit as they receive the results of their personal DNA analyses.

I started out interested in a couple of things: those who expect Native American DNA ancestry and either do, or do not, get those DNA results (I am a member of the prominent American "my great-grandmother was a Cherokee" group ;) )...

...and DNA results about various kinds of Jewish ancestors (some of which are extremely unexpected and surprising to those whose DNA partially comes from one or more of the specifically "Jewish" groups).

What I increasingly found as I watched more videos, however, were so many (mostly) white Americans who, "out of nowhere" to them, learned that they have African/African-American ancestry...

...and so many black Americans who learned that their "white" component was not only far larger than they had ever imagined (most black Americans assume they have some white ancestry because of the inhumane and cruel practices of slave times), but that they were, in addition, of Jewish (or something "exotic," like Polynesian) ancestry.

In other words: that "one drop rule" that I was, in essence, raised by my family to believe in (though I never did) is--in actual fact--WAY more complex than anyone ever dreamed of, up to about the past ten years ago.

Basically (and borrowing words from one of the DNA videos I saw) we are ALL "mutts"...and sometimes, for SOME of us, in very complex and unexpected ways.

(One white supremacist, in particular, discovered from his DNA test that he has a substantial amount of black African ancestry...and as a result, he was kicked out of his white supremacist group and his property was vandalized by his former [white supremacist] friends.)

Basically: all of us homo sapiens sapiens are the biological offspring of the violation the "one drop" rule, since we are ALL (without exception) the descendants of the black Africans who were the first members of our species to appear on this planet...

...and who then traveled the earth, and procreated with whoever they discovered, in whatever places they landed in, so we "all" (very high 90+ percentages of us) carry highly-mixed DNA from not only the black and white groups, but also (in many cases) from Asian and Melanesian and other, miscellaneous and unusual to us, groups as well.

Every single one of us is a living, breathing example of the violation of the "one drop rule" in dynamic historical action.

Which means: if the "one drop rule" still applied in blood donations, there would be NO blood donations at all, since (by definition) NO ONE would qualify as a blood donor for (apparently) "white" recipients...

...not even the very highest echelons of TSCC corporate personages.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2018 03:40PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Hermes ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 03:20PM

My mom was an immunohematologist in the early '60s in Salt Lake and worked at (then) LDS Hospital.

They were instructed that if they had to draw blood from blacks they needed to use bottles (glass, back then) that had no anti-coagulant in them. After the donor would leave, they would dispose of the blood.

Blacks could donate all they wanted to the blood bank...it would never be used.

It made my mom sick to think about putting people in discomfort for no good reason and "fake" the donation. She quit and went to work for the Red Cross.

"Not a drop"...indeed.

Another "fun" blood story...in the 1980s, the mormon church used to hold "blood drives" at chapels (conducted by LDS Hospital/IHC) and they would routinely NOT ask required sexual history questions, especially those about homosexual contacts...too embarrassing for the church volunteers, and "we KNOW them, they wouldn't do THAT!" As closeted as Salt Lake was at the time this led to tainted blood making it into the blood bank until proper HIV tests were available.

But, thank God that "black blood" never got in.

I wonder if "Runs-away Russ" will ever address this in conference.

-H

Date: April 18, 2018 06:16PM

This hurts so much to read, Hermes...

...and yet, the information you have written about here is also important for the general public to know.

Thank you very much for posting this.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 07:12PM

That is shocking to read.

I knew of the rampant racism among the Mormon church during those years. But to fake blood donations?

That ought to be criminal!

Shameful.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 03:24PM

Africa already has plenty of witch doctors with magical cures.

Mormons think everyone is stupid.

Mormons are no more qualified there than they are anywhere else.
Mormon missionaries host mass weddings, of 8 or more couples, followed by a wedding feast. How insulting, not to give each bride and groom their own separate wedding, like other Mormons have, but that would make for too many feasts. I wonder if there's a certain quota of couples per wedding. "Sorry, you can't get married until we find 4 other couples--go round up your friends and neighbors!" Does this sound familiar?

Of course, the marriage ceremony includes automatic membership in TCOJCOLDS. Does "sneaky underhandedness" sound familiar?

D'ya think they show up for the marriage, or for the food? Mormons make the Africans pay a price (selling their soul to the Mormon cult) for food; where other groups donate food for FREE. Now, the hungry Africans are being conned into giving actual money to the Cult. Since when has TSCC had any scruples about conning children out of their allowance, or old folks out of their retirement. All those "widow's mite's" add up!

I don't think this new Mormon regime (that's what TSCC is hoping for) will be well-received in Africa. The world will be watching, as this scam unfolds, and as soon as enough of the right people find out about what the Mormons are really doing, someone will put a stop to it.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 03:56PM

The Moonies ("Unification Church") were a dangerous and whacko cult (a few still around, still whacko), but they had an interesting practice which I admired: to encourage interracial marriage. I believe the more that happens, the better we'll all get along. Of course, "I'm a cockeyed optimist."*

I like to think of myself as a "mongrel-American." Mongrel pets tend to adapt and prosper better than purebreds. Consider the inbreeding in polygamist Utahns (especially) and Mormons in general (to a lesser degree). I believe what counts in America is not the ancestry you come from (or don't), but how well you employ the American virtues of self-reliance, democratic values, free enterprise, charity and mutuality, and respect for others.

Tevai: a great-grandmother who was Cherokee? Are you Elizabeth Warren incognito? (*smirk*)

*A line from Rogers & Hammerstein's musical, "South Pacific." Oscar Hammerstein II worked racial prejudice themes into many of his works, notably "Showboat."

Date: April 18, 2018 04:25PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tevai: a great-grandmother who was Cherokee? Are
> you Elizabeth Warren incognito? (*smirk*)

Nope, I am not Elizabeth Warren (though I greatly admire many of her accomplishments). :D

In my case, the "great-grandmother" in question is someone my Mom, my Mom's sister: my aunt, my maternal grandmother, and my maternal grandfather (all of whom I knew personally) all, themselves, knew personally...so I think the chances are high that the "story" is true.

There were/are other relatives in the maternal side of my family who are of Native American (though not Cherokee) descent, including my maternal grandmother's cousin (I think), who I personally knew as "Aunt Lela," who absolutely LOOKED Native American (her Native American ancestry definitely predominated in the genes she inherited), but her heritage was something like Pawnee, I think. (She definitely was not Cherokee.)

In the 1800s, after the various forced "removals" to Oklahoma, there was a very high rate of intermarriage and interbreeding between Native Americans and white settlers, and (though some of this had nothing to do with my direct bloodline), evidently and obviously, other branches of my extended family were part of this general process.

In my case, I don't know whether "Grandpa's mother was [full-blood] Cherokee" is true or not, but my Mom, my Aunt, my maternal Grandmother, and my maternal Grandfather (her son) all were absolutely certain that she was.

Which certainly puts me in the "might be" group...right???

:D

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 05:16PM

Date: April 18, 2018 05:51PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

:) :) :)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 05:37AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 04:46PM

It's genuinely sad that medical professionals ever subscribed to this nonsense.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 05:02PM

Nelson:

We love you and your country so much. Okay, that is out of the way and now let's get down to outlining what you need to change to become "worthy" Latter-day-Saints......

Everything.

About that African dowry thing. It is out. Tithing is where your money needs to go and then you all will just me amazed IF you follow it completely that poverty will be disappear.

Etc. etc. etc.

Nauseating is more than right. I'm sure the sleazy visitors heaved a huge sigh of relief when they were in the air and out of there......AND, wouldn't it be wonderful to know that all the Africans did too?

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 06:46PM

people in Developing countries should PROHIBIT charity & religious $ from leaving their country / countries.

The chance of any of it returning are absolutely nothing.

A temple in Africa? who there is experienced with that type of construction?

How about materials & supplies? African origin? I Doubt It.

If churches & charities want to help, let them do so Without Strings/conditions.

Date: April 18, 2018 07:00PM

I agree. Canada only allows charity to go out of the country for educational institutions, which is why so much Canadian tithing money has been allocated to BYU. African countries would be wise to put up even tighter restrictions.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 07:02PM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 02:19PM

LOL

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 11:16PM

... and Africa has cobalt.

Posted by: JulieG ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 01:45AM

I looked at this you tube video of all the Africans sitting there and thought it wasn't that long ago the Mormon church wouldn't even let you join. They said you had dark skin because you were cursed. I hope they learn the truth about the Mormon church.

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 04:53AM

"I don't know how long it will take to build that temple," President Nelson said

Oh, is god keeping this a secret from his profit? When will this be revealed?

Silly "religion"...

Date: April 19, 2018 05:44AM

I guess church leaders learned from their experience building the Rome, Italy temple.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 09:59AM

I guess god's too busy helping mormons in Nephi find their lost car keys to let his prophet know when the temple will be done.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 10:38AM

This whole thing is just sick. They are totally extorting those people for money. Just the money it must have cost some of those people to go hear Russ speak is so sad. Then to tell them that if they give their money to his evil cult they won't be poor anymore. No, they still will be, only 10% poorer.Sick. Sick sick sick!

And another thing. Wouldn't you think the DesNews would print the best pics they had of Russ and Jeff. And the best they had was this one with the awful scowls on their faces? I wonder what the bad ones looked like.

And on the blood discussion. Just makes me laugh. They couldn't screen for "a drop of Negroid blood." Especially in the seventies and prior. I know I gave blood many times in my younger days and I even remember my dad giving blood when I was a kid. And I'm sure there were plenty of people who gave to the LDS hospital blood bank back in the day who were just like us. Lilly white to the eyes but who, thanks to Ancestry DNA, now know we were giving them "tainted" blood. Too much Northern European in us to manifest the blood of the African in the tree. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.... that is so funny that they thought they could protect the white sheep.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 12:56PM

This is deserving of its own thread, but is it a coincidence that the Uganda leader is raging a war on oral sex while old Russell is on the continent? Are they both channeling the ghost of SWK?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.