Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 10:44PM

All this talk about the exploitation of poor Africans being urged to pay tithing to the Morg got me thinking of the Hippocratic Oath. If Nelson (as is customary at many medical schools) indeed took this oath, he is rankest of all hypocrites —

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

What hypocracy for Nelson to preach

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 10:48PM

You do understand that the oath he took in the temple overrides any subsequent oaths. Right?
His following oath is the Hypocrite's oath.

Date: April 18, 2018 10:53PM

But of course, he covenanted to give everything he had or ever would have to the Morg—including his influence over the poor in Africa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2018 10:53PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 10:53PM

Is this the version he swore to? I hear a different version for the last 5 years at med school graduations.

The original had swearing to magical beings as well...humans are notorious for this!

"I swear by Apollo Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panaceia and all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfill according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant:"

Really not much of a difference from swearing in a temple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2018 11:01PM by carameldreams.

Date: April 18, 2018 10:58PM

I cut and pasted from Wikipedia. Even if these aren’t the exact words, isn’t it customary for a doctor to uphold these principles?

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 04:01PM

I had no idea about oaths that doctors take. That's pretty interesting.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 04:28PM

Because it's been revised to conform with current political ideals, I heard that some medical schools have simply dropped it, to avoid controversy, I suppose. For example, I came across another version, different from the above, which has this:

"I will not give a lethal drug to anyone if I am asked, nor will I advise such a plan; and similarly I will not give a woman a pessary to cause an abortion."

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 04:38PM

I suppose what matters in this instance (per the OP), is...

Which oath version did Nelson take?

:)

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 04:34PM

He was speaking to them as a prophet, not a doctor, so its all good.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 11:17PM

If Mitt Romney had kept his temple covenant to give "all" of his time, energy, talents, and resources to the church (the fourth covenant of four covenants in the endowment ceremony), he would have less money to live on now, then I do. Does he have less money than I do? No! Therefore Mitt has violated his temple covenants. He kept some (a lot) of his own money instead of giving all of it to the church as he agreed to do. And yet, he probably has a current temple recommend. Meanwhile, some of the poorest people on the planet are being told to give ten percent of their money to the church so they can go through the temple. If they don't pay-up, they don't get in. How fundamentally wrong is that? I suspect that there is a general 'admission' range to get in to the temple. It's not marketed as such. But there is a number that if you don't pay, you generally don't get a temple recommend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2018 11:22PM by azsteve.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.