Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 03:23AM

What were some of the worst fears which kept you saluting the MormonCult?

Even after my husband and I weren't attending church (me not at all, him a little because of employment ties), both of us feared the social repercussions with our children as their friends were mostly Mormons so we let them choose to go or not go (we would later come to regret this decision). We were worried of how this decision of ours was going forward yet neither of us investigated this subject like we claimed we wanted to, letting it slide, blaming it on time restraints. Only later would we be capable of owning up to our "cave-in" to our conditioned church fear.

Much fear also filled me when I first picked up Fawn Brodie's book, "No Man Knows My History". This fear was short lived as I recognized from college training that this was a well documented history, credible, and OMG was interesting to read and not another boring BofM.

I was dreadfully fearful for a while, again it wasn't long lasing, when I knew for certain I no longer believed and knew for sure that Mormonism was a fraud straight from ole sleazy Joey's wild and wicked imagination. In the beginning, I hid it and only wanted to blend into the wallpaper, creating neither a ripple nor a tear. Then a few busy-body family members ended this approach after being alerted by our bishop they must, if they wanted to be good and obedient Mormon minions, make us their "project" with vile visits, tearful testimonies, and hell-scare tactics declaring how we were making the devil's work easier.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2018 03:38AM by presleynfactsrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 06:15AM

The years of brainwashing is very hard to undo.

I still have retained many Mormon values I was raised with. They were seared into my character and who I am.

It was in pursuit of truth and wisdom we were taught as children to highly value, that would lead me out of TSCC eventually.

I still have fear and reverence for my Creator. As for TSCC, it was a detractor from truth. But those fears sometimes still lurk sub-consciously. With many of my family still in it, I have questioned their blindsidedness and unwavering beliefs.

To each their own. Living honestly and authentically wins for me.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 12:22PM

One of the key indicators ( of 18 that I have defined) of a theological cult is fear of retribution. It is pandemic in Mormonism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2018 12:23PM by thedesertrat1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.