Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 06:24PM

Is anyone in the group into model cars, and might know the origin of this item?

https://imgur.com/a/OgkL8

As a kid, I spent tons of allowance money to buy plastic kits and paints and glue. I got pretty good at them and still built kits after my mission. I did it mostly in the summer when I could also get firecrackers and blow the cars up after they had been around a while.

I’ve been a car geek since I was very young. My mom used to tell me that I knew the difference between a Ford and Chevy when I was 3 but it took a little longer for me to differentiate between a cow and a horse. My older siblings have always said that was true. I must have been kind of slow.

I started dating the woman who I would marry and showed her my latest built kit and she said “Well, that looks like nice work. You’re not going to continue to build those when we’re married, are you? I did build a few but eventually quit.

I found this at a Storage auction last month. It’s not a kit, but is a metal body with plastic windows and interior. It's about 1/24 scale, bright yellow, rubber or plastic tires with whitewalls. The rear wheels spin with friction. I joined one Facebook page about model cars and posted these same pictures and have had no response so far. There’s also model car forums outside of Facebook, but the ones I found are way outdated—no activity for several years.

I think it's based on an early 1950’s 4dr sedan but there’s no script or brand shown on it. Based on the chrome trim on the hood and trunk, I’d say Pontiac since it has that metal stripes was common to Pontiacs of that era.
It's about 1/24 scale, bright yellow, rubber tires with whitewalls.. The rear wheels spin with friction. I’ve googled various sources and can’t find anything about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 09:18PM

Try: 1947 Pontiac Streamliner coupe

[because of the five bands of chrome I see on the hoods (which is one of the prime identifiers: this feature seems to fix the initial production year), and the windows seem to match...but, for the photos I see of the sides of the Streamliner Deluxe model, what I see on the photos doesn't match the model you have, which may just be that you don't have the Deluxe]

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 09:47PM

AmarToy Delhi Pontiac 1954.

Check you tube and www.tintoycar.com

Date: April 18, 2018 10:06PM

Thanks very much. I found the same car, in different colors at that website. Apparently made in India, still not sure of the date. THey have one on sale for $99.00 including a box, which I don't have.

I searched for it on Ebay and found several, in different colors but a couple in yellow. Varying prices, some with boxes.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 10:15PM

Looks like a "custom" rendering of an early 50's Pontiac based on the hood trim. I too was an inveterate model builder right through my college years....and then I graduated to the real thing.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 10:24PM

Date: April 18, 2018 10:53PM

I saw that article. The green one is much nicer than mine.

Date: April 20, 2018 02:35PM

Just a quick followup: I had this car listed on Ebay, and after the information that you guys gave me, I changed the title and provided a couple of links.

It sold within about 8 hours and I just got back from shipping it to South Carolina.

Overall, after paying for postage, I lost money on the item but glad to get rid of it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 03:29PM

Reminds me of my dad’s car when I was four. I got a nail and wrote the names of our entire family on the side of it.

I think it had an orange Indian on the hood.

Date: April 20, 2018 04:50PM

Pontiac of the 40's and 50's, IIRC, had the orange indian on the hood. I'm not sure of the history or meaning of it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pontiac+hood+ornament&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS792US792&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=CMeAWZmLxKbUsM%253A%252C1m0n-1GMUNTxzM%252C_&usg=__djMxhxs0IjjCHEtsz-RvLX1rSl8%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_kcKf3MnaAhWB5IMKHQcJDvYQ9QEItQEwAQ#imgrc=CMeAWZmLxKbUsM:

I'm still mad at GM for discontinuing Pontiac. My first car was a 1959 Pontiac Bonneville in 1971, big 4 door that would hold at least 6-8 people.

I had a couple of Pontiacs over the years and the last one was a 2005 Pontiac G6, which I really liked. I kept that until 2015 and bought my first Japanese car.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 12:28AM

Those old girls all had an interesting smell to them..could have been a touch of oil burning and blow by from the crankcase...every one I ever rode in was the same...had to love a car with a stick and straight cut gears...double clutching wasn’t just something that happened in the back seat...my best guess is just what everyone else said...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 12:56AM

My first car was a 1953 Meteor (Canadian Ford) Victoria and it was 11 years old when I got it in 1964. It smelled kinda funky alright.

Date: April 22, 2018 10:22AM

The 1959 Pontiac that I mentioned above also had an odor, which I had forgotten about completely. It wasn't particularly offensive but my dad said it smelled like an animal might have died in the car. It was 11 years old when I got it so I guess almost anything could have happened.

I didn't have it too long, since it was not a very cool car. I sold it for a few dollars more than my mom paid for it, about a month after I got home from my mission.

Later that fall, I bought a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner which was really fast but had been "rode hard and put away wet" as my dad said--needed lots of repairs in the first year.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 01:05PM

That 69, doesn't have 440 with 3 deuces by any chance? Most were 383's. What color? I had a 69 Charger RT/440 for about 2 months (in 1975) when some guy bought it for twice what I paid for it. Was metallic blue w/ white stripes.

Date: April 22, 2018 05:16PM

Nah, it was just a 383/automatic, orange with a black vinyl roof and a black stripe down the left side of hood and over the trunk. But it was pretty damned fast. No A/C, black vinyl seats.

It had an AM radio (my brother had a 8track player unit that we were able to install in the glove box so I could listen to Three Dog Night etc.)

I had (and still have) a woman friend who I went to high school with and we remained friends while I was on my mission. When I got back, her boyfriend was on his mission (Montana,Wyoming) and was going to be in Evanston, WY to perform in a singing group of Elders in some kind of program, so we decided to go see him sing.

She and I and his younger brother all got in the front seat of the Roadrunner to head up during a fresh snowstorm in January. It snowed all the way up and if you've driven that you know how bad it can be. And on the way back, it was worse. I spun once and we just sat there for a while so I could recover my driving ability.

I had the car for about 2 years and traded it for a 1972 Chevy Nova, brand new with a 350. It also had one of the very rare fabric sliding tops, not really a sunroof because it was almost as wide as the roof. I did some research with Google and found whole webpages with history of that roof.

GM brought guys from the UK to install the roofs in Novas and Buick Skylarks, a total of maybe 3000 installed over 2 model years.

Can you tell I'm a car geek?

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 10:42PM

Yeah. Me too. I hit the age/car lottery. My first car was a 69 Chevelle SS396. Just what every 16 year old needs. I had 3 others since then. Back then, in 75-76, you could buy clean 67-70 muscle cars, Chevelles, Chargers, Camaro Z28's, 442's, Buick GS's, GTO's, GTX's, etc for $1,000-$1,500. Cars that today go for $50-200K. Only one I have left is a Daytona Yellow 70 Vette. 454 LS5 w/deluxe interior package (leather and wood grain). Currently, motor is stripped down in the garage. I probably had 15 muscle cars that I bought and sold for less than 5K each. Worth a fortune today.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.