Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 10:46AM

I have been going through a rollercoaster of emotions. Yesterday was pretty bad. Blood pressure high, felt very tense with apprehension.

Today I feel pretty laissez-faire. It's like the weather. It will happen whether I like it or not. Meh.

Thank you guys for your support. You all mean so much to me!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 11:01AM

Modern surgery is a walk in the park.

And the post-surgical period is basically what you make of it. You're going to be uncomfortable, you're going to be in pain, and then the sun sets, the sun rises, it sets, it rises and then you're home again and you feel better.

Attitude is everything. And you've got the bonus of people who care about you.

Way to go, YOU!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 11:10AM

Look at it this way -- you get to sleep through it! I hope that you have a quick, smooth, surgery Catnip. My own major surgery was uneventful. It was the recovery which was the challenge.

I complimented my surgeon afterward on how quick he was. He grinned and explained that I wouldn't have wanted to be his *first* patient -- that surgery, although successful, took hours. But by now he's done more than a thousand of them, and there is little he hasn't seen.

It's probably the same for your surgeon. What is an extraordinary event for us is just another work day for them.

Hang in there and try not to stress *too* much. Is there anything fun you can do this weekend to distract you?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2018 11:11AM by summer.

Date: April 21, 2018 05:02PM

Every medical person I have talked to has agreed (without prompting) that my surgeon is THE BEST. She knows her stuff.

One of my concerns is that I am not really mentally functional (especially since retirement) until about ten in the morning, and that will probably be about the time that things are starting to crank into gear. I think we will have to get up around 5:00 a.m. to report to all the places they want me to hit before going to the hospital itself. That's the middle of the night, where I live.

They have warned me that I will have limited range of motion in my shoulder for a while, so forget about my habitual sweatshirts for a time, and wear zip-up or button-up shirts. I may have to root around in DH's closet for that kind of stuff.

Remember when you were in school, enduring your least favorite class, and tried not to look at the clock constantly, but could't help yourself, and then you wanted to throw up because you were sure that an hour must have passed, but it has only been three minutes?

That's how the last few weeks have felt.

I am so grateful for you guys! My two best friends are gone, my poor DH has to put up with me 24/7, and even my cats are getting edgy with all the unaccustomed cuddling.

I've pretty much been passing the time with reading. Currently, I've been having fun with John Grisham's young-adult "Theo Boone, Kid Lawyer" series. Young-adult fiction isn't easy, but Grisham has mastered it, and I enjoy the stories. My brain cells are too fried at this point to try anything more challenging.

I have not been assigned to an oncologist, and have no clue about the post-op plans. I guess they are waiting for the surgery to put all that in gear. But I have about a million questions and nobody to ask.

I've been through many, many surgeries - a number of them a lot scarier than this one (if you don't count the cancer angle) so I don't know why I am so up-tight about this one.

Thank you all, just for being there. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your support.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 05:17PM

Catnip,

I think it's the diagnosis of the C word that leaves one "up in arms," moreso than the surgery itself. There are so many variables with that. You'll be checked to see if you're lymph node positive or negative. Genome testing if you are negative to see whether you're a candidate for chemo or not. And from there the surgery will stage where you're at, and devise a treatment plan tailored to you.

You'll meet with the oncology doctor post-surgery. You're right on target for where you need to be for now.

Sending positive and healing thoughts your way. :)

My surgery was scheduled early in the morning too. But they didn't even get started before 10:00 a.m. I wasn't the first one apparently, which was fine by me. :)

Getting there early we were able to secure parking fairly easily.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2018 05:19PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: stellam ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 11:12AM

Sending you my very best wishes for smooth sailing with this procedure and a quick, uneventful recovery.

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 11:15AM

You will be fine...this is a piece of cake. Be glad you live in a day where surgery is to perfected...like clockwork. Nothing to worry about. In and out w/o any difficulty.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 12:24PM

Thinking of you and rooting for you.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 12:33PM

(((Catnip))) Hugs to you! It will be over before you know it! Everything will be copscetic! Love, aquarius123

Date: April 21, 2018 01:15PM

It will be over before you know it.

The recovery does take time. Just go easy resting on that side.

:)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 01:42PM

I think you won't find it as bad as you think. Try to breathe and think good thoughts about it once it's done and over. I'm pretty sure you'll find some nice supportive nurses who will take good care of you. Ask for those lovely warmed blankets if you want to feel loved and cozy before and after the surgery. I remember sitting on a nice bench under a tree with a pleasant nurse while we waited for my husband to bring the care around and take me home. I was glad I remembered to put a light blanket in the car to cuddle and stay warm for the ride home. They'll give you written instructions to reread at home because it's easy to forget what they say when you'll getting over surgery meds.

Date: April 21, 2018 01:53PM

Mine was. I didn't do too much out of the ordinary other than pre-plan my chores so didn't need to do any lifting or errands immediately after.

Date: April 21, 2018 05:08PM

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 02:23PM

Hugs, you’ve got this. Just breathe and trust the doctor.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 02:32PM

Hopefully it's not shoulder surgery or you have to be on crutches. That sucks.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 03:04PM

Will be thinking of you on Monday. Best wishes for smooth sailing.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 03:23PM

Hang in there. You have a bunch of folks thinking of you and supporting you!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 05:01PM

Big (((hugs))) Catnip. May healing, comfort, and peace be yours!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 05:06PM

We are all going to be sending you loads of good energies and good wishes as you go through this, catnip!

My best wishes for an easy procedure, and a smooth and swift recovery, are surrounding you right now!!

:) :) :)

Posted by: paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 05:51PM

comfort & caring hands handle the process when you can't (some of us would perform surgery ourself if were able to, but for this we have to trust someone else)

Be well. Breathe. sip at the coffee or another great smoothie

sending good thoughts your way.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 07:55PM

Do you have anything like Xanax you can take? I hope you are able to sleep.

I'll be thinking of you. It isn't surprising you have high blood pressure. Any stress can cause that.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 08:17PM

Yes, Catnip, the anticipation is almost worse than the surgery, and it lasts longer, that's for sure--especially after all your delays and re-scheduling.

Have something nice planned, for when you get back home with your DH, like ice cream and a favorite movie, with all of your pets on the bed, a scented candle, your favorite pajamas, or something like that. Try to tip the scales onto the pleasure side, to out-weigh the anxiety.

I know what you mean, about enjoying light reading. It's hard to concentrate, when something is weighing on your mind. Bring a book with you.

You'll be back here on RFM in no time, and a lot of people who love you will be waiting for your posts!

((((hugs))))

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 09:28PM

I hope your surgery goes smoothly and successfully. Best wishes

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 11:49PM

I really wish you the best of luck and that your whole team of doctors and nurses will be top notch and take the best care of you and do everything possible this time, so you won’t have to go back and that you heal very well
I hope they gave you meds to calm you in these last couple of days before you go in and don’t release you until you’re ready.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 12:23AM

It's almost behind you now!
As soon as you can, please let us know that everything is OK, and you are on the mend.

(((Catnip)))

Date: April 22, 2018 10:01PM

Always before, when I had surgery, it got me out of something I didn't want to do anyway, like school or work.

But I'm perfectly happy, being retired, and kind of resent the interruption.

But then, there IS the cancer thing, and one can't linger with that.

I'll report in as soon as I can, tomorrow.

I'm wearing my UCLA sweatshirt to the hospital, just for the emotional charge (GO, BRUINS!!) and my daughter helped me to pick out some pretty camisoles, as anything else will be out of the picture for a while, in the upper-underwear line. (I've never owned a cami in my life, so that is kind of a mini-adventure in itself!!)

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

Date: April 23, 2018 10:51AM

^^^topping^^^^

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 11:00AM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 11:22AM

((((Catnip))))

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 11:24AM

Thinking of you, and sending good energies your way...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 12:09PM

It's probably already happened, catnip...
Please let us know how everything went when you can.
Sending you affection and hugs :)

Date: April 23, 2018 12:11PM

Rest easy and let us know how you're doing.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 01:56PM

... When YOU are ready.

Sending lots of transatlantic love

Tom in Paris

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 02:37PM

(((((HUGS))))))

Hope you are resting comfortably

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 03:15PM

I haven't been here much so I'm not sure what kind of surgery you

had but I think it was a lumpectomy? I had that too. It's a

breeze, no problems afterward . I went for chemo and radiation.

That was almost six years ago. The chemo and radiation aren't so

bad except you have to go every day for radiation... but believe

me its all worth it and Knowing that it's worth it, and that

it works makes it all good. You'll be fine dear.... let us know

how thing go for you and give yourself a pat on the back for

doing what was good for you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.