Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 02:18PM

If you can't get people to join via the largest missionary force in church history why not write some books?

Gee, I wonder if they will mention Dr. Bennett and the abortions he performed in Nauvoo to murder the illegitimate polygamist offspring? http://mormonpolygamydocuments.org/abortions/

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-releasing-narrative-history-early-saints

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 02:23PM

From the linked story:

"The books feature the true stories of the women and men who dedicated their lives to establishing the Church around the globe. Church historians researched and wrote each volume, and senior Church leaders reviewed the manuscripts."

I'm sure this means that... "We, the church, have double and triple checked that no public, written records exist to contradict the bullshit we are offering for sale..."

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 01:52PM

So... church apologists wrote each volume and senior church leaders edited for content/usefulness/testimony-building stories. (Not all truth is useful.)

Sounds like everything else church "historians" have written for church publication.

Posted by: readwrite-LO ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 05:43PM

Their "standard of 'truth'" behins and ends with LDS origins and Joseph's Myth.

In other words, IT IS NON-EXISTENT.

If they can't get it straight by now... (Joe was pretty crocked).

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 01:03PM

readwrite-LO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Their "standard of 'truth'" behins and ends with
> LDS origins and Joseph's Myth.
>
> In other words, IT IS NON-EXISTENT.
>
> If they can't get it straight by now... (Joe was
> pretty crocked).

Well, we know T$CC has no "standards" when it comes to their "truths." :-/

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 04:07AM

In the Mormon Polygamy Document you linked to above it gives Sarah Pratt as saying "You hear often that Joseph had no polygamous offspring. The reason of this is very simple. Abortion was practiced on a large scale in Nauvoo. Dr. John C. Bennett, the evil genius of Joseph, brought this abomination into a scientific system. He showed to my husband and me the instruments with which he used to “operate for Joseph.” There was a house in Nauvoo, “right across the flat,” about a mile and a-half from the town, a kind of hospital. They sent the women there, when they showed signs of celestial consequences. Abortion was practiced regularly in this house."

The author of the article then states - Sarah claimed many things about Joseph Smith throughout her lifetime, but this is probably one of her most over-the-top statements. She made other allegations that contradict more reliable historical data. For example, when asked about the statement, “Joseph had eighty wives at the time of his death,” Sarah Pratt replied: “He had many more, my dear sir; at least he had seduced many more, and those with whom he had lived without their being sealed to him, were sealed to him after his death.”[9] Currently there is no evidence for “eighty wives” or “many more” than eighty as Pratt alleged.

My response - The author seems to use this quote to diminish or destroy Sarah Pratt's credibility. Sarah was most certainly wrong about the number of Joseph Smiths wives (I rather see them as affairs couched in religious duty to help idle the conscience of everyone involved). She was correct however in saying that he had many affairs with women. She had no way of knowing how many - nor did anyone else at the time.

I disagree with the authors assertion, who ever the author is (I didn't see a name attached claiming ownership), that this point of her exaggerated account as to the number of wives (affairs) destroys her credibility.

I instead see all this as more evidence that Joseph had an insatiable addiction to women and sex with no boundaries. I see her and Dr. Bennett's account of events as being every bit as credible as church sources to the contrary.

Also the record shows that Joseph and other church defenders have lied many times so to be fair shouldn't the author point this out as reason to question their credibility?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 12:21PM

You're so funny.
Expecting church-apologist authors to be honest and fair and all.
Just hilarious!

:)

p.s. you bring up good points. Especially the last one.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 01:39PM

I had forgotten those words of Sarah Pratt. Thanks for reminding me.

Wouldn't it be truly "Wunderbar" if the MormonCult spent a quarter of their time and money on helping the poor and sick which they instead spend on new church history books, 12 sort-of-true-essays, the gay issue, Nelson's joy ride around the world, a mighty expensive mall with a creek running threw it, temples a-plenty and on and on and on?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 01:41PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 01:55PM

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 24, 2018 03:39AM

Before he died, Grant Palmer stated that Joseph Smith had had concubines. If you include them, there may well have been over 80 wives. Grant Palmer was a historian and an excellent researcher. Also He said that he had found evidence that Joseph had married a third 14 year old girl. He wrote about it in his last book, but I haven't read the book yet.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 24, 2018 03:52AM

Are these real people or characters from a Paul H. Dunn book?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.