Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 02:31PM

Is facing up to ten years for each conviction.

America's "dad" has been brought down by justice and the MeToo movement.

He will be listed on the sexual predators list going forward.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 02:33PM

Good.
About time.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 02:39PM

It was hard to believe what it took to finally bring him to justice.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 02:55PM

I don't think this is actually off topic.

I can understand the women's reaction, even those not party to this particular court action, including those for whom the Statute has run out.

In what way, AmyJo, do you mean that Cosby was brought down by the MeToo movement? I would hate to think that anything other than concrete evidence factored into the verdict. No matter how much we may believe those wronged.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 07:51PM

I certainly hope the MeToo thing does not become the way people are convicted in court . I am fine with evidence beyond a reasonable doubt being the standard .

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 09:04PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think this is actually off topic.
>
> I can understand the women's reaction, even those
> not party to this particular court action,
> including those for whom the Statute has run out.
>
> In what way, AmyJo, do you mean that Cosby was
> brought down by the MeToo movement? I would hate
> to think that anything other than concrete
> evidence factored into the verdict. No matter how
> much we may believe those wronged.

The women today and some journalists attribute the convictions to the MeToo movement. The first trial was a hung trial.

Thanks for the "not off topic" comment. I considered that as well.

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 03:39PM

It'll probably get tied up in appeals for years, and he'll pass away comfortably in his home before he ever sees any jail time. Sorry to be a buzz kill.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 03:42PM

Or is this a different situation. Does he get special treatment?

This all started with Cosby before the metoo movement, but I think a lot of people didn't want to believe it about Cosby and so maybe the metoo movement helped in the fact people see that this behavior does go on in Hollywood. I don't believe it will ever end personally.

Date: April 26, 2018 04:12PM

cl2 Wrote:
> Or is this a different situation. Does he get
> special treatment?

Yes, that's the case. He hasn't been sentenced yet, though. Once he has (and the appeals start), he'll have to start serving his sentence while the appeals are working through the courts.

Bail (or suspension of sentence) while appealing is awfully rare.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 05:01PM

Good point, cl2, re MeToo having an influence. That makes sense.

My point was that (I hope) it didn't factor into the jury deliberations. Evidence. Evidence. Evidence. (And then Guilty. Guilty. Guilty. If so).

As far as MeToo changing perceptions and opinions, I hope so. I find that a lot of people think it's no big deal because it's "sex".

It is not.

Abuse. Attack. Assault. Etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2018 08:05PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 04:24PM

I’m glad, but saddened. He should be sentenced and reasonably punished for what he did to his victims. No one should commit heinous crimes and feel untouchable.

At the same time, for many of my generation, Bill Cosby was icon during the Civil Rights era. His TV and comendy work broke down barriers for many others. His role on the mid-1960s show, I Spy, showed two men—one white, the other black—working as partners—eating together, sharing rooms together, caring for each other, and putting each other’s well being first. Seeing these things on TV, even if scripted, were unimaginable a decade earlier.

My family used to sit around listening to his comedy routines-“I Started out as a Child,” “Bill Cosby is a Funny Man,” etc. laughing our asses off. His humor was universal.

Sadly, America's Dad let his evil side take over.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2018 04:27PM by BYU Boner.

Date: April 26, 2018 05:07PM

Seeing "icons" be not all they're supposed to be can be rough.

The "prophet" is really just some clueless old man, running a corporation.

The "mission president" fondles girls in the basement of the MTC.

The "civil rights icon" took advantage of his popularity and fame to get women to be alone with him, then drugged them and raped them.

Maybe there's a lesson here...that "icons" shouldn't be put on pedestals, and that the regular, non-famous, hard-working folks who are just day to day good people (you know, like YOU Boner!) might be better "role models" than the "icons..."? :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2018 05:07PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 06:39PM

Sigh, okay, okay....here’s a hammer and chisle....take Hie down from your very most admired list .... screw it .... you're right up there on your pedestal, wanker! Now, don’t let this go to your head (or little head).

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 06:36PM

4% of people in society are sociopaths. They go until their free pass runs out. It probably didn’t help that Cosby pretended his shit didn’t stink. His dark side would not denied, so it came out that way. As is often seen in Mormonism, the repressive “cure” is worse than the disease.

Posted by: Notelling ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 04:56PM

My husband was an EMT in LA in the 70s and was called to transport an actress that was working with Bill Cosby, well Bill showed up to the back of the ambulance, whipped it out, swung it around, and made the actress laugh so hard her pains were intensified. Not sure what the moral to this story is but...it is a character witness to Mr. Cosby (IMHO).

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 05:32PM

Cosby should have been summoned for Indecent Exposure then ... IF Cali has such a law, that is.

Posted by: Notelling ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 06:59PM

I bet she had seen it before........I hear it is really big. He probably has a lot of confidence and likes to show it off. But not everyone wanted to see it....apparently. When you play you pay....there are consequences to actions.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 07:43PM

He's 80 years old, right? What's the chance he'll actually do any time, what with repeals, etc.

He has become a meme for men who did and are doing the same thing. For years. Unfortunately, it's a "he said, she said" claim from the get go. Not an ounce of evidence.

It's a warning shot, though. Other men have been doing the same thing (and probably still are).

Men have been trying to get women a little inebriated to relax them to have sex for decades and women have gone along with it.

"We've Come A Long Way, Babe" Men don't own women and can't legally inflict corporal punishment. However, the manipulation still goes on.

I expect to see other cases, in the near future, of the same type.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2018 07:43PM by susieq.

Date: April 26, 2018 07:56PM

Remember, an appeal must be based on a trial ERROR, not the veracity of the evidence.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 09:17PM

GNPE1 Wrote:
> Remember, an appeal must be based on a trial
> ERROR, not the veracity of the evidence.

True. My guess? The Defense likely has a list of what they consider errors, all ready to go.

Posted by: Appeals... ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 09:25PM

I don't pretend to know what Cali standards for an appeal / significant grounds for an appeal to be Considered are.

Of course, not all appeals are successful and Cali jurisprudence may provide that appeals can be Denied on various reasons.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 09:34PM

The Cosby trial took place in Pennsylvania.

Date: April 26, 2018 09:13PM

Well, I wasn't there, so IDK.

News accounts are mentioning testimony, testimony is evidence.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 12:13AM

One item that is absolutely going to form the basis of an appeal is the fact that the trial judge allowed at least five women testify about things "The Say" Cosby did to them... They had nothing to say regarding the complainant's accusations, they were just there to tell the jury, "He did the same exact thing to me!"

This issue is probably going to be appealed all the way...

Date: April 27, 2018 01:39AM

Appealed all the way?

the USSC accepts only the smallest % of cases submitted.

No substantial constitutional question = No Go.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.