Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon42day ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 10:32AM

That is, of course, a rhetorical question which, I’m sure,
Will forever go unanswered. Initially it was, in their eyes,successful as a means towards eradicating gay marriage.
The efforts towards raising these funds by actually going into
Member’s homes and asking, and in some cases even shaming, people into donating money, were actually remarkably successful and proved to be a bit of a surprise to the opposition.

I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if that same effort had been successfully applied to a much worthier cause
and the same amount donated to the World Health Organization
Towards eradicating malaria which kills hundreds of thousands of children and expectant mothers yearly in Africa, Call me crazy,
But if that had actually happened and not one mention of tithing was made by the church leaders, how many people would be standing
In line waiting to be baptized

In between tears of gratitude.

Just a thought!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 11:33AM

I remember when someone released a web tool to show who donated and how much. When I looked at my hometown in SoCal it looked like a ward directory on the google shame site. My old seminary teacher gave $13,000. My former bishop only gave $3,000. Old friends from my youth that have stayed there gave somewhere between $1K - $5k.

My old ward spent enough cash to buy someone a house. I wonder if they ever regretted being a part of that. Such a waste of money and they got the exact opposite outcome they hoped for.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 11:43AM

I would guess that it was close to a billion; perhaps more.

I know CA ward leaders solicited members from the pulpit to support the measure.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 11:50AM

It doesn't matter. It is yesterday's issue. Nothing can be done about it. Let us deal with today!!!

Posted by: Anon42day ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 12:12PM

I think you miss my point. I am comparing the effort put into raising funds for eradicating gay marriage and now the leadership
Going into Africa presumably empty handed, asking people for money When these people live daily with a very high death rate of children, especially, from malaria but also unsafe water, dysentery, and the one disease that afflicts most of the people in Africa......poverty.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.