Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 28, 2018 09:29PM

"A new report has identified Salt Lake City as one of the worst places to live if you’re single.

The report, which comes from Zumper, listed Salt Lake City as the 139th best place to be single, giving the Utah capital city a D-plus grade overall.

The Provo-Orem metro area finished at the 170th spot (earning a D-minus grade).

Meanwhile, the Ogden-Clearfield area finished at 211, and the St. George metro area was listed as the 212nd-best area for singles. Both Ogden and St. George received F grades in the report....

Boulder, Colorado, topped the U.S. as the best place to live if you're single, followed by the Boston metro area; the Stamford, Connecticut, area; the Champaign-Urbana metro area in Illinois, and Pittsfield, Massachusetts.

New Haven, Connecticut; the San Francisco-Oakland area in California; Trenton, N.J.; the New York City area, and the Albany, New York, metro area also ranked within the top 10.

Boulder topped lists for best cities for dating men and dating women."

Well, well, well.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900017205/new-report-ranks-provo-and-salt-lake-city-among-the-worst-places-to-live-if-youre-single.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 28, 2018 09:34PM

The monkey wrench in this list, vis SLC & Provo, is one must distinguish between the LDS and non-LDS population. If I were LDS, Provo wouldn't be such a bad place. But that's neither here (where I am) nor there (which I'm not).

I will vouch for Boston-Cambridge as a hot place for singles. I only have to step out my front door and see them parading up and down. Boy, did I waste my younger years!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 29, 2018 08:00AM

Yes, I remember the Boston/Cambridge area as being a paradise for single people -- lots of colleges, job opportunities, and things to do. I'll vouch for Boulder. You have the university along with tons of young, healthy, singles who are looking for a beautiful place to live along with an outdoor life-style. IIRC, Boulder has an average night life for a small city, but nothing to write home about. Stamford is probably included because of all of the businesses located there. It's a good place for singles who want to live close enough to NYC to enjoy the theater, etc. but don't want to live in that city. I remember Stamford as having some good restaurants.

Date: April 29, 2018 08:56AM

The places mentioned as having a vibrant singles scene are some of the most expensive places to live in the country.

I can live better for less elsewhere. ;-)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 29, 2018 10:35AM

Yes, that's true. I lived in Boulder from the mid-70s to the early 80s, and it was a bit pricey then yet still affordable. I doubt that I could afford to live there now. Even the outlying towns are getting expensive.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 28, 2018 10:31PM

They sure were.

Salt Lake isn't so bad though.

M@t

Date: April 29, 2018 07:35AM

Salt Lake has diversity that Provo lacks. :)

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: April 29, 2018 12:18AM

I would of loved a list like that in my early 20s. When I got a few years older, I became a lot more conservative, which attracted me to the LDS Church, plus I was never comfortable around loud, rowdy people, which a lot of college towns are nowadays
That’s a good list for places to stay away from too, if you’re a quiet, middle aged couple who like to be around your own age bracket .
I should google best places to retire, that’s isn’t in a hot weather state, and safe, keep thinking Minnesota, but hear Minneapolis has a lot of young people.
I prefer something that doesn’t involve golf or lakes either,

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 29, 2018 01:16AM

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: April 29, 2018 02:17AM

Really? We’ve been there about 10 years ago and loved it.It was in December too. Hubby had a short duty there. My father loved all of the ice fishing magazines that I bought him. We even saw a few people ice fishing, driving around. It was neat seeing people in the middle of a frozen lake , fishing from a hole, with their little hut ( don’t know what they’re called ) next to them.

Date: April 29, 2018 07:19AM

I really liked Minnesota also the several times visited there. The winters get bitterly cold. But it's a very pretty place otherwise.

As for taxes, it's one of the highest taxed states for retirees. Other things might make up the difference. I noticed that food and gas are lower there than say, New York.

Posted by: anonyXMo ( )
Date: April 29, 2018 12:38AM

They measure night life and that sort of thing, so it makes sense which cities would be high on the list and which would be low.

If you can handle hanging out at churches however you can do well with middle-aged divorcees of either sex in these more conservative towns.

Date: April 29, 2018 07:28AM

I like conservative places and avoid the single scene. I could see myself adapting fairly easily to any of the Utah towns except for Provo. I just never cared for that place. One of my bros went there. Is where he met his future wife. He went there for a degree and to get married. She went solely to obtain an M.R.S. degree.

She quit her day job when they got married, and hasn't worked a day outside the home since.

A caveat to this is the downside of Utah's traffic congestion. I remember it from my childhood before its population explosion. The traffic bothers me now around Ogden and Salt Lake City. St George isn't as bad yet. It is however one of the fastest growing cities in the US. So it may not be far behind. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2018 07:33AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 29, 2018 01:09AM

Criteria?

Date: April 29, 2018 07:23AM

AnonyXMo covered it somewhat in his/her statement by the night life.

A place like Albany surprised me, because it's a government town. It's also a university town. Many singles live and work there as professionals and students. It could well be a swinger place for singles.

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: April 29, 2018 10:54AM

Sometimes a study only tells you what common sense has been telling you all along.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.